Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I need some help with wings...

I fixed wings last night, and got the crispy skin but the rub wouldn't stick. 

Here is what I did- opened the packs of wings, and dried them with a paper towel and put in a glass casserole dish large enough that they all had room with out stacking. They went in the refrigerator uncovered and dried 24 hours. I took them out and sprinkled Swamp Venom over them, but it really didn't stick. I tried to dust them with corn starch, I was successful in getting an uneven coverage though. They went on the LBGE with the rack on top of the CGS AR base, about 3-4 inches above the gasket. Dome temperature was 400* F. I cooked them to a nice color and checked temperature. they were about 190*. I turned the rack twice and flipped the wings mid cook. I have NO complaints about the whole cook, the skin was nice and crisp, the meat was juicy and tender, other than the rub didn't stick to the wings out of the refrigerator. What do I need to do to solve the rub not sticking problem? I didn't want to use oil or mayo or mustard to stick the rub, as I was afraid the skin wouldn't be crisp. 
 1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    No need to dry them if using the corn starch. You had it right with applying the rub first because if you do it after the corn starch it is definitely inhibited. you just need a little surface moisture for the rub to adhere. I definitely wouldn't add mustard or anything like that. just skip the drying efforts. IMO
  • I usually skip drying, just indirect them at 375 or so until done. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    When I prepare wings, I put them in a big soup pot and apply some mustard and mix them around until they are coated, then apply the rub and continue mixing them a little while longer.  I then cook them on a raised rack indirect at about 400. 
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Speaking of wings. Do you know what Icarus's least favorite food was?

Hot wings...
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • rifrench
    rifrench Posts: 469
    Aha! The light goes on, as a buddy at work used to say-"Now I understand". 
    Thank you, Pete!  I have one more question now, what is the best way to dust on the corn starch? It is my first time using the cornstarch to crisp the skin. Normally I refrigerate over night and a 400* works fine on spatched chicken.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    rifrench said:
    Aha! The light goes on, as a buddy at work used to say-"Now I understand". 
    Thank you, Pete!  I have one more question now, what is the best way to dust on the corn starch? It is my first time using the cornstarch to crisp the skin. Normally I refrigerate over night and a 400* works fine on spatched chicken.

I use a small stainless strainer and dust them like I would French toast with powdered sugar
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• rifrench
    Good idea, ColtsFan! Thank you
  • rifrench
    Thanks for all the comments, I appreciate all your help!
  • I make a ton of wings and I like to keep it simple.  Take the wings out of the package, put them in a plastic bag or a bowl and coat with rub, put them on the egg indirect at 400 F for about an hour and you'll have perfectly done, crispy skinned wings.  Works every time.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• rifrench
    Thanks, ChokeonSmoke. To all that cook indirect, I've never burned my chix high in the dome at 400*. Includes thighs, whole spatched chickens or any combination thereof. What is the benefit from indirect cooking? 
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    I like to cook indirect because it is less  handling. I generally cook 2 grills at a time and if they were done direct, I'd have to flip the wings more often and swap grills also.  When I cook at 400 indirect, the skin is crispy and I don't use any corn starch.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • rifrench said:
    To all that cook indirect, I've never burned my chix high in the dome at 400*. Includes thighs, whole spatched chickens or any combination thereof. What is the benefit from indirect cooking? 
    How high in the dome are you?  My grid is at the bottom of lid / top of base level and no way could I cook wings at 400 direct for an hour, they'd be meteorites!
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• pgprescott
    rifrench said:
    To all that cook indirect, I've never burned my chix high in the dome at 400*. Includes thighs, whole spatched chickens or any combination thereof. What is the benefit from indirect cooking? 
    How high in the dome are you?  My grid is at the bottom of lid / top of base level and no way could I cook wings at 400 direct for an hour, they'd be meteorites!
    Is 400 direct hotter than 400 indirect at the felt line? With the lid closed there should be no flare ups?
  • rifrench
    choke, I use the top of my Adjustable Rig base, it puts the rack 3-4 inches above the gasket on the Egg base. Measurement is estimate. I think the cook took 30 to 40 minutes, I use Instapen to check temps, and determine when food is done. Time is not a primary indicator of doneness to me. I don't even check temps on butt until 11 or 12 hours, since I cook at 250* and average butt is 7 to 8 pounds. BBQ is not an exact science.
  • Chief9
    Chief9 Posts: 141
    I just use a little olive oil prior to applying the rub.  Typically oil, rub, and cook indirect at 325 for about 70-75 mins.
    Carrollton, Va
  • rifrench said:
    Is 400 direct hotter than 400 indirect at the felt line? With the lid closed there should be no flare ups?
    The radiant energy from cooking direct would make the cook go much faster, even at the same temp
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • pgprescott
    rifrench said:
    The radiant energy from cooking direct would make the cook go much faster, even at the same temp
    Agreed. I'm not sure how much faster, but faster for sure. 
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    SciAggie said:

Hot wings...
    Booooooooooooooooooooooo

As for help, I am not use, but @Foghorn or @caliking may have something for you.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • Yesterday

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    SciAggie said:

Hot wings...

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• rifrench
    There are no flare ups cooking high direct at 400*, the oxygen is limited. When the dome is open to check temp or flip meat there are some flare ups, but they go out when dome is closed.
  • rifrench said:
     I fixed wings last night, and got the crispy skin but the rub wouldn't stick.
    Do the "48 Hour Ga Hot Wings".  Perfect every time.
    Raleigh, NC