Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggzact

Options
Anyone own one?  Comments?  One thing for sure is that we can always rely on this forum for good advice. :)

The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    edited November 2019
    Options
    That would make Meathead and the boys over at his website happy. They hate analog thermos. Precision pit temps are overrated IMO.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    edited November 2019
    Options
    That would make Meathead and the boys over at his website happy. They hate analog thermos. Precision pit temps are overrated IMO.
    Yup, I don't even have a thermometer on my Egg, just check occasionally with my thermopen through the hole...on my Klose Trailer, I run it hot and where it settlesos where it settles, I adjust time as needed

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Precision pit temps are overrated IMO.
    Amen. I sometimes overshoot my target temp. Rather than wait while I bring the temp down, I just throw the food on and have at it. All it means is that the food is done sooner. It has never meant a ruined meal. Think turbo cooks... 225° vs 350°. Who needs precision? I don't even remember when I last calibrated my thermo.

The only important consideration is coordinating a finish time with all the other dishes. But if you know you're cooking the meat hot, put the beans on earlier. =)

Never heard of the Eggzact until now, but it sounds like one of those things that gives me more than I want... or need.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Precision pit temps are overrated IMO.
    Amen. I sometimes overshoot my target temp. Rather than wait while I bring the temp down, I just throw the food on and have at it. All it means is that the food is done sooner. It has never meant a ruined meal. Think turbo cooks... 225° vs 350°. Who needs precision? I don't even remember when I last calibrated my thermo.

The only important consideration is coordinating a finish time with all the other dishes. But if you know you're cooking the meat hot, put the beans on earlier. =)

Never heard of the Eggzact until now, but it sounds like one of those things that gives me more than I want... or need.
    Yep. Timing is where temp precision is possibly a factor. I cannot count the conversations I've had with customers freaking out over pit temps. Have to talk them off the ledge. "How long does it take to cook ribs?"  :o IDK, what temp? Wrapped or not? How long wrapped? BBQ isn't baking. You can bake on the egg, but not all egging is baking.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited November 2019
    Options
    It doesn't change the fact that the unit is only measuring the temp around 1 cubic inch of air under the dome.  That's above a cold hunk of meat and or a drip pan, so who cares if it's 5, 10, or 20F+ off, because that's not what's happening down at the grid.  Even down there it doesn't matter that much......a few needle widths are not going to change things. 

Alas, I like toys.....especially bluetooth and digital stuff.  So, looks cool to me.  I'd sell it on that basis, not the fact that it's more accurate.  Just make sure you pull the thing before you do a pizza cook or clean burn though!!  You should probably bring it inside every time you are finished cooking too.

Either way, I'm surprised BGE let them use the word "egg" and its likeness.  Remember "Smokeware" was originally called "Eggware"?  That didn't last very long.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    How I roll

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • milesvdustin
    Options
    The website says that big green egg is used with permission 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    The website says that big green egg is used with permission 
    buy it while you can. It will be in a BGE box and cost 40% more by Christmas.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • milesvdustin
    Options
    I would never buy that thing in a million years 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    tldr but it looks like he pigeonholed his market by making it look like a egg.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I hate BT cooking gadgets. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • NorthPilot06
    Options
    Pass
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    caliking said:
    I hate BT cooking gadgets. 
    I agree. Unless it is meater that uses a waypoint device to get on WiFi. BT is worthless unless you sit by your egg. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    I'm not seeing a pic, nor a link, nor a website?  :confused:

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• cookingdude555
    Options
    Botch said:
    I'm not seeing a pic, nor a link, nor a website?  :confused:
    http://www.eggzact.com/