Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

serial number

Options
under the gasket...pure genius =)

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Ha Ha...Good thing their gaskets come off so easy.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Ha Ha...Good thing their gaskets come off so easy.
    i believe my older egg was just penciled on.  ace wants a serial number, they now have one

fukahwee maine

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Obviously the new eggs may have that, but those of us with old eggs with no replacement domes or bases need not tear off any gaskets as there are no serial numbers under there. The whole serial number thing is a newer change BGE made. I wonder how many dealers today even know that!

I still liked the idea of walk in the door with a problem at your dealer and walk out with the replacement! My dealer carried many pieces and prided himself in that type of service!  
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • REB17
    REB17 Posts: 152
    Options
    RRP said:
    Obviously the new eggs may have that, but those of us with old eggs with no replacement domes or bases need not tear off any gaskets as there are no serial numbers under there. The whole serial number thing is a newer change BGE made. I wonder how many dealers today even know that!

I still liked the idea of walk in the door with a problem at your dealer and walk out with the replacement! My dealer carried many pieces and prided himself in that type of service!  
    My LBGE is over 20 yrs old and all it says is Made in Mexico
    LGBE-1999, MBGE-2003, SBGE-2007

Midlothian, VA
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    My XXL does not have a serial number, but I have a certificate with a number that came with it.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    RRP said:

Sadly that kind of service doesn't exist any longer, Ron.  I fear that pretty soon we will be as bad as Denmark. 
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    RRP said:

Sadly that kind of service doesn't exist any longer, Ron.  I fear that pretty soon we will be as bad as Denmark. 
    Two things that I hate.  Intolerance and the Dutch!
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    edited November 2019
    Options
    RRP said:

Is that an all inclusive list?
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • RRP
    Options
    REB17 said:
    RRP said:

My LBGE is over 20 yrs old and all it says is Made in Mexico
    Mine are probably older than that, even though I just bought my first one 20 years ago. Even though it was long rumored that they were made in Mexico FOR YEARS from high quality clay none of my eggs (4) have any Made in Mexico embedded casting labels. Maybe mine are older than dirt just like me LOL! 
  • gnatnoop
    Options
    Found the serial number on my large bge.....225°

:) 

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,610
    Options
    RRP said:

See if the wife will give you a map this year for Christmas.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    RRP said:

my 2002 egg has no serial or markings except for BGE on dome, 2005 its under the gasket i removed when it was new.  always seems to be a hassle, 214 mile round trip to get the ring and box pics, then they want a pic of the serial number. well its not that i was going to head north anyways but 428 miles of driving is a bit much to ask for, and i bought a new band and hinge the day i started the claim
    fukahwee maine

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    That’s a PITA. The last time I made a warranty claim, the dealer gave me the fire ring and firebox and said it would be fine to email a copy of the original receipt later when I got home. Yours could have easily said the same. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I wonder if that is where my Mini # is. I haven’t seen it anywhere else.
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    RRP said:

I still liked the idea of walk in the door with a problem at your dealer and walk out with the replacement! 
    The Costco model?
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • OhioEgger
    Options
    I've only had one warranty claim (cracked firebox) and my dealer asked for the serial number. I looked for at least half an hour and never found anything except MC MEXICO inside the dome (bought in 2011). I had my original receipt so I gave him a copy of that and he was happy. 
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • RRP
    edited November 2019
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    RRP said:

I still liked the idea of walk in the door with a problem at your dealer and walk out with the replacement! 
    The Costco model?
    The COSTCO model means if your company wants to sell your product EVEN the  discontinued ones to get your brand name out there then "you" will eat anything that a buyer brings back.

The early BGE dealer honor reputation I was talking about was just that...honor...and trust in your dealer.

I really hate to think at my ripe old age of 75 that such trust and honor is history.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,610
    Options
    It’s just sad nowadays.
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    My dealer had me e-mail a photo of cracked dome, and a photo of receipt, and photo of serial number in rear of dome.  Got a new dome 3 weeks later, but had to give them the cracked one. They are giving up the BGE line, so I will have to find another dealer in another town.

I like how KJ warrantied my last firebox, with just a picture.  It was registered since new so they just shipped a new firebox via Fedex. I am still using that cracked one and saving the new style 5 pc one till I need it.
  • RRP
    Options
    My dealer had me e-mail a photo of cracked dome, and a photo of receipt, and photo of serial number in rear of dome.  Got a new dome 3 weeks later, but had to give them the cracked one. 
    Boy...with that kind of "trust" of his customers it's a wonder the dealer has stayed in business at all! And just what does he plan to do with that cracked dome?...I have an idea what he should do with it...!
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,646
    edited November 2019
    Options
    @littlerascal56 how did your dome crack?!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• littlerascal56
    Options
    Dome cracked at front edge, under the gasket by the handle.  My BGE dealer is a HUGE John Deere implement dealership.  I think they are dropping BGE to be a Traeger pellet grill dealer.  Much more volume of sales, and not much warranty issues.

They really didn’t promote the BGE product, but many farmer/ranchers bought them on their farm accounts, because they could deduct on their income taxes every year.  Selling Traeger will be same customer market (farmers/ranchers) but profit will be better, especially considering overpriced Traeger pellets.  It’s a economic decision for them!
  • fishlessman
    Options
    RRP said:

my 2002 egg has no serial or markings except for BGE on dome, 2005 its under the gasket i removed when it was new.  always seems to be a hassle, 214 mile round trip to get the ring and box pics, then they want a pic of the serial number. well its not that i was going to head north anyways but 428 miles of driving is a bit much to ask for, and i bought a new band and hinge the day i started the claim
    been waiting for a firebox and ring since mid october =) still waiting for just the approval. i think im getting close though, ace IS the place

fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    officially approved, they got shaky when i told them i had 6663 forum points
    fukahwee maine

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    officially approved, they got shaky when i told them i had 6663 forum points
      :rofl:

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    and yet still no firebox and ring
    fukahwee maine

• littlerascal56
    Options
    Ridiculous...you should have received those in 4-6 weeks.  If I had to deal with that, I would sell my XL and get a Big Joe!
  • fishlessman
    Options
    almost 10 weeks since i filed the claim, and its now in the truck =) ordered a new therm today as well, havent had one in years so ill probably need to relearn this
    fukahwee maine

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    almost 10 weeks since i filed the claim, and its now in the truck =) ordered a new therm today as well, havent had one in years so ill probably need to relearn this
    I have no idea what the temp is when I cook.  I just look at smoke, fire, progress.
    Options
    I have no idea what the temp is when I cook.  I just look at smoke, fire, progress.
    thats all ive been doing for years as well.  well replaced the base, hinge band assembly, fire box, fire ring. might as well replace the gage.  might make holding 220 dome temps easier for timing as im away during the cook for 14 hours on a butt, might just use it for just that cook and keep the gage inside when not using it
    fukahwee maine