Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Security Cameras - OT (not grilling related)

Ozzie_Isaac
Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
edited November 2019 in Off Topic
I recently moved and the new to me house is wired with Cat5e, BNC, and 12v power 8 locations.  The system is from 2008 and 3 of the 7 analog cameras do not work and the other 4 are lousy.  It is an old GeoVision setup with a pretty extensive user interface which I find very nice.  It is more like a business setup.

I want to replace the setup with something better.  I  want a fair bit of range on the cameras 100+ feet at night.  I would also like remote access via my phone.  Prefer local storage w/cloud backup.  Would also like POE just for simplicity, even though I have 12volt power at each location via a central power distribution setup.

Most cameras will be within  75 feet of the base station, but two are around 250 feet away.

Plan is to keep it around $1k.

What do you folks use/recommend?

(If you are new or grumpy, let's get this out of the way:. Yes, it is a BBQ forum on the surface.  But the members here know so much more!)
A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Must be a bad neighborhood there, Heisenberg. Unless it’s just to keep an eye out for the coyotes to make sure they don’t get the small pets.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited November 2019
    Must be a bad neighborhood there, Heisenberg. Unless it’s just to keep an eye out for the coyotes to make sure they don’t get the small pets.
    Not bad, but I do like being able to keep an eye on things, we are in the country, but have a well used hiking trail near by.  I plan to use it to be able to check on the horses and other animals too.

We also had some friends who were brutally attacked in their home a few weeks ago, so wife is on board now.  Even though friends lived 10miles away, it makes a person think.

Plus, as Walter White and Randy Weaver learned, you never know who is coming to get you.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,265
    Look at Ring or Nest imo. These are quickly taking over the market. I have 3 Ring devices and I'm pretty happy with them. The advantages to these systems are they are dead simple to use. The downside is you don't get as much power or configurability. It was your comment about the phone access that led me to chime in. I'm sure you could rig something yourself but if its not Ring or Nest you are going to be in a one-off kind of setup that you'll have to support as your needs change/grow.

FYI, I also have a ~$1000 Axis PoE camera. It is higher quality but I end up using it less just because it doesn't have a phone app with it.
    Mountain View, CA
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    @dmourati you bring up a good point.  If it isn't easy to use then it will not get used.  I do not want to become a security professional manning my security room.  I want set it and forget, while being able to remotely check on things.
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042

@dmourati you bring up a good point.  If it isn't easy to use then it will not get used.  I do not want to become a security professional manning my security room.  I want set it and forget, while being able to remotely check on things.
    I have an arlo setup from net gear.  Free cloud for up to I think 8 cameras. Also I think  you can set up local storage in the base unit through a usb.  I am no tech expert but it is easy to use, I got some motion lights to tie in to it and you can set up rules (say x camera detects motion y lights go off).  Quality is good ap is easy to use, I use batteries but they can be plugged it, battery life is great (about 6 months on a charge).  Check Costco we got ours on a great deal around this time last year.  They also have some wired solutions you might be able to get in well under budget.  I think we are about $600 in our system of 5 cameras and 3 lights.  (2 cameras were refurbished from amazon but I would buy again at the discount I got for them).  Initial kit was vase station and 3 lights for like $399.
  • I have 4 nest devices and I’ve been happy with them. Just don’t forget to price out the monthly subscription charges too
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    I have the ring flood cams and doorbell ....at this point they are great for getting angry @ the neighborhood cats for decimating my yard ...i have named all of them and have since gone to war to which I am loosing 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,381
    I have an 8 camera POE system by LOREX. Cost was around $1,000 all in. Has an app, a DVR/NVR, and is pretty easy to use. 
  • I'd add a German Shephard to the mix. Just to diversify the system a bit.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    edited November 2019
    i have a light that comes on if someone walks in the yard =) makes it impossible to sneak up on them with the bat or the carving axe. if they get past the light, the doors not locked ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • oldgeezeystax
    oldgeezeystax Posts: 313
    edited November 2019
    Not exactly answering the question but I'm interested in checking out the wyze cameras, 1080p/free cloud/microSD/digital zoom/etc... all for $20? They don't have an outdoor camera yet though so I would have to put it inside and point it through a window.
    Frederick, MD - LBGE and some accessories
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    Check out Reolink. I have quite a few clients that have their systems and they seem to be decent.

https://reolink.com/product/rlk16-410b8/
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    If you opt for a Ring system, check out the bundles at Costco. Good deals on the subscription for Costco members. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    We have Ring spotlight cams and the user interface is silly easy. I get alerts on my phone and can talk through the cameras, set off an audible alarm, and turn on the spotlight. Coming from a wired setup, much easier IMO. We have the battery setup but you can also get them wired to power or get a solar panel to charge the batteries. I only have to charge mine every few months though so not much trouble at all.

Other brands out there with similar functions like Nest and Arlo are worth a look too. Only issue I see is it requires WiFi so if that is down so are your cameras. 

We also have a Nest thermostat and are looking at the Google WiFi system and Nest Hub Max. The Nest Hub Max is basically an iPad type deal on top of a speaker that you can use in your kitchen/garage/etc. as a tablet, camera (has one built in), camera interface to view security cams, TV, stereo, etc. I am looking to get it mostly as a garage TV/Stereo/security cam. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    First off, welcome to the forum.  OT topics are fine, but don’t be afraid to jump in and post a cook or two.
  • I currently have 8 Arlo running at my place. Easy to use phone app and setup is clicking a couple buttons. For a full setup with mounts and solar panels (highly recommended for high traffic areas) you will be in for around $1000 but I like the ease of use and cloud access. They also just released their video doorbell which is nice too and have spotlights that link to the cameras so they activate when the light comes on. 
  • MattBTI
    MattBTI Posts: 417
    Probably amateur compared to that setup you describe, but I've been using Blink systems. Completely wireless, two way communication capabilities, arm/disarm program scheduling, very inexpensive to run lots of cameras. They need wifi and the storage is primarily cloudbased with the option to download clips. 
    Pratt, KS
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    Not exactly answering the question but I'm interested in checking out the wyze cameras, 1080p/free cloud/microSD/digital zoom/etc... all for $20? They don't have an outdoor camera yet though so I would have to put it inside and point it through a window.
    I have a few Wyze cams - two of the little cubes and one of the panning models. You can get an outdoor housing for them for $10-$20 (tho none of mine are outdoors).
    Good little cameras and hard to beat for the price. One thing I give them credit for is they don't seem to develop the same sort of lag from real-time that my Nest cameras do.
    I do wish Wyze would hurry up the ability to view the cams from a browser and rather than just an app on a phone/tablet.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• I oversaw the camera systems in our substations.  I used AXIS night vision cameras (fixed), and some PTV’s.  Stored data on site with 4 1terrabit drives.  Pretty fun stuff, but big bucks.

For my home system, I actually use Blink cameras.  Simple enough that the wife can use on her phone app.  Happy wife, happy life! 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Hmm, I have some more research to do.  I will look into some of the wireless options like Arko, Best, and Ring.  Will also check out the local Costco.

I do not have a German Shepard, but I do have two Jack Russel Terrorists and one Aussie.  They definitely have Spidey senses for pretty much anything that moves including leaves rustling in the breeze.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Legume said:
    First off, welcome to the forum.  OT topics are fine, but don’t be afraid to jump in and post a cook or two.
    I am working myself up to actual cooking.  This stuff takes time though.
  • JNDATHP
    JNDATHP Posts: 461
    Blue Iris for your NVR, UniFi for your network gear and Dahua cameras. 

See ipcamtalk.com for more information. 

Cameras: https://www.amazon.com/EmpireTech-IPC-HDW2231R-ZS-Starlight-Eyeball-Network/dp/B07DRC93S8/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3CP5TFXFTOSVI&keywords=empire+tech+starlight&qid=1573020369&sprefix=Empire+tech,aps,270&sr=8-2

Dont buy Chinese hacked cameras. The above link is for cameras that are Dahua OEM and can be upgraded with English firmware. 

Blue Iris: https://blueirissoftware.com/#purchase

UniFi:  https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Unifi&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

Buy a Dell Optiplex i7 off of eBay and use it as a dedicated Blue Iris computer.

No monthly subscription. You do have to spend some time creating a VPN for security. 

Our setup: 

Michael
    Large BGE
    Reno, NV
  • I have a dog as a security system. Except its fat and thinks everyone is a friend. Unless you are a squirrel or a deer, then its game on 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    I was out working on my house last weekend and had my dog off the chain. The mailman rolls up to my mailbox and goes, "Oh now you don't want to rip my head off. He goes crazy whenever I drop off a package at your front door." 

I hope the mailman doesn't ever try kicking my door down. He will be tacked by the dog and licked nonstop and want you to throw his ball.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Can somebody please share a "Sure glad I had a camera system on the house" story.  Intruders?  Porch pirates?  Aliens?
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • @TN_Egger someone had a post on here last year I vaguely remember... a truck with a ladder rack, stolen package (maybe a pizza peel?) anyway with his door cam and the neighbors they caught the guy. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited November 2019
    TN_Egger said:
    Can somebody please share a "Sure glad I had a camera system on the house" story.  Intruders?  Porch pirates?  Aliens?
    We have had rashes of kids pulling on car door handles and casing the neighborhood.  One night my car was rifled through (I thought it was locked, so they may have had a proximity amplifier).  I pulled the video and posted it on youtube and gave it to the cops, and they made arrests a few days later.

We also have cameras on (and in) our building at work.  We are at a bad corner for wrecks (because it's a 2 lane one way and people are constantly turning left from the outside lane), and I've provided footage for a number of crash victims.
    NOLA
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,338
    TN_Egger said:
    While I don't have any personal stories, good home video significantly increases the likelihood of perpetrators being caught. Most often these porch pirates are known by local PD's and good video identifies them. Detectives can write a warrant and they get picked up. 
    Another thing that significantly helps; write down the serial numbers and photograph common items that are stolen in burglaries (firearms, laptops, iPads, jewlery etc).
    Las Vegas, NV