Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Outstanding Soup!!

Options
Carolina Q
Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
edited October 2019 in Off Topic
Ok, Chef John's chicken noodle soup is better, but not by much! Been meaning to make his Caldo Verde (kale, potato and sausage soup) for a couple of weeks now. Finally got it done yesterday. So worth the effort. Recipe calls for Portuguese linguica (sp?) or "other smoked sausage". Maybe @fishlessman can spell it for me. All I could find was andouille. I actually cut the recipe in half because 2 lb of kale, 3 lb of potatoes and 12 oz of sausage seemed a bit much for one guy! Wishing now that I hadn't. Gonna be sorry when this is gone all too soon! Chef John's pic here... looks just like mine!

I've never been much of a soup guy, but that's been changing lately. This stuff is wonderful!

Would be a PITA on the egg though...
Starts with medium-high heat
Reduce heat to medium-low
Increase heat to high and bring to a simmer. 
Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. 

So I used my stovetop. =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,340
    edited October 2019
    Options
    On the list!

I too have found a recent appreciation for soups.

Thanks for sharing 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    That is my go to chicken soup recipe with two exceptions.  First I add a little turmeric after cooking the chicken and veggies.  Then after everything has been put together I add a little flour to some half and half and pour into the soup.  

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• JethroBodeen
    Options
    The Warden makes something similar. Its outstanding!
  • marysvilleksegghead
    Options
    nice soup CQ!
    I made it once awhile back but I think I used Italian sausage
    PDGFWIWF
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    I haven't tried this FoodWishes recipe (yet) but it sounds much like the "Toscana" soup at Olive Garden.  I order their "Unlimited soup, salad, and breadsticks" lunch about once a month, tell them to hold the breadsticks, eat most of the salad, then three bowls of the Toscana.  Delish!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    been eating that my whole life, add a rinsed can of goya white beans.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    1. been eating that my whole life, add a rinsed can of goya white beans.
      Sounds good... will do!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Looks tasty. It's finally soup weather here, so I might make a big pot of something this weekend.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.