Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Dinner with Aaron Franklin & Chris Shepherd - Cook Like a Local Cookbook

Options
HoustonEgger
HoustonEgger Posts: 616
edited October 2019 in Off Topic
By some awesome stroke of lunch, I was able to purchase 2 tickets to a private event hosted at Franklin BBQ last weekend - where Aaron & Chris Shepherd put together a dinner & private event to celebrate Chris's new cookbook "Cook Like a Local". Tickets sold out in less than 3 minutes, so I really did hit the money with my purchase. ** The cookbook is full of unique Houston recipes with a lot of Asian influence.

Anywho - on to the good stuff: the food, the company & the cookbook. 

Dinner:
- 44 Farms Tomahawk Ribeye for appetizer
- Franklin BBQ Beef Rib for table
- Each person received a tray of: Franklin BBQ Brisket, Pulled Pork, Pork Rib & Sausage. Sides were Chris Shepherd Tater Tot Casserole, Spicy Cucumber Salad, Curried Green Beans & Shisito Peppers. The beans were Franklin beans and I believe the sausage was Chris's recipe but Franklin cooked - but not 100% sure on that one. It had walnuts in it and was pretty tasty. 

Dinner was followed by a Q&A about the chefs and the cookbook - and Chris recommended everyone try the chicken recipe on page 38 - so that's what I did this past weekend. And I would highly recommend you try it out as well, it's awesome. I seared the chicken on the Mini Max and then finished off indirect on the large Egg @350 for about 25 minutes. The breasts took a bit longer but that's to be expected with the size of them. Going to repeat this recipe again with just chicken thighs or drumsticks. Even our kids dove into this one. 

Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    Sounds like a cool event, Congrats!

IdoNOTneedanothercookbookIdoNOTneedanothercookbookIdoNOTneedanothercookbookIdoNOTneedanothercookbookIdoNOTneedanothercookbook.....

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Congrats as I got the alertmernt email about that event a couple of weeks ago but location, location, location so it was not to be.  I'm sure the interactions with those two plus the other attendees was quite informative. 
    And that chix looks great. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Good times! I've eaten at Chris Shepherd places a couple of times and have really enjoyed them. 

There's no such thing as too many chicken recipes. Thanks for posting it. Added to the list.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    Most excellent!  
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    Outstanding.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• marysvilleksegghead
    Options
    great looking eats!
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • HoustonEgger
    Options
    caliking said:
    Good times! I've eaten at Chris Shepherd places a couple of times and have really enjoyed them. 

There's no such thing as too many chicken recipes. Thanks for posting it. Added to the list.
    I think you'll like this cookbook - contains his recipe for Korean Braised Goat & Dumplings but also goes into great detail on key ingredients, such as his preference for fish sauce (which is Red Boat Fish Sauce). I think we're going to replay the herb chicken this weekend and then try another veggie side. The brussel sprouts with carmelized fish sauce were fantastic
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    I found the chicken recipe in an easier to read format;  https://www.splendidtable.org/recipes/grilled-herb-marinated-chicken
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    caliking said:

I think you'll like this cookbook - contains his recipe for Korean Braised Goat & Dumplings but also goes into great detail on key ingredients, such as his preference for fish sauce (which is Red Boat Fish Sauce). I think we're going to replay the herb chicken this weekend and then try another veggie side. The brussel sprouts with carmelized fish sauce were fantastic
     I do enjoy how he incorporates Asian flavors. I've had that goat and dumplings dish before, and really enjoyed it. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Wow!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95