Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pig in a pit

Options
FarmingPhD
FarmingPhD Posts: 840
edited October 2019 in Pork
A friend decided to do a hog roast for function a month ago. Lots of planning and prep, mostly on his side, and we got to get things rolling last Friday. Hole was dug with a mini excavator, lined the bottom with rocks, and started a fire.  We burned down a big fire to initially heat the hole and heat up the rocks, then added another round of wood, all hickory to build our bed of coals.  About 30 minutes before the pig went on we added 3 bags of briquettes.  Pig was seasoned and loaded with fruit, onions, and garlic.  Then wrapped in foil, followed by wet burlap, and then chicken wire.  Pit was covered with tin to hold in the heat. Pig was 114lbs dressed and turned out great for a group that had never tried this before.  We did have to add more heat Saturday morning to pick up the pace which included 4 bags of royal oak set on fire next to the pit and then pushed in.  That was some serious heat, I think we all still have our eyebrows....  

Pig was in the pit ~ 15 hours and literally fell apart as we opened up the foil.  We were hoping to be able to roll it out for a cool presentation, but once we got into the foil, the plan just turned to picking out the meat.

Thanks for looking, it was a blast and the repeat is already in the planning.  

Comments

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    Wow that looks like fun! Great cook wish I was there
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    That first pic, with porky stuffed with a fruit salad bar, is amazing.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @FarmingPhD
    This is the kind of posts that I really like. Old school Q at its finest. For an outstanding job my friend and getting back to what made barbecue great 👍 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• FarmingPhD
    Options
    Thanks @alaskanassasin @Botch and @SGH - by far the most fun I’ve had in months that didn’t involve my kids.  
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    This is awesomeness defined!! 

Any cook that starts with “go get the excavator...” is already winning. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    My wife doesnt let me excavate. 

Awesome cook!
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Excellent cook
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    You are bringing back memories. When I was a pup a friends Dad did that for his graduation open house. The difference was the pig was stuffed with Sauerkraut. After slow roasting all night it was melt in your mouth tender. They opened the foil, pulled out the bones, and put on the feedbag.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • FarmingPhD
    Options
    @Teefus that is literally how this pig came apart. The plan to turn it over was scrapped pretty quickly.  I didn’t get any pictures after it came out, hands/gloves were a mess once we got into it.
  • FarmingPhD
    Options
    We did have some other great food.  I made over the top chili on Thursday night and reheated for our dinner on Friday night once we got the fire rolling.  We camped out at the location then on Friday night since the hog didn’t go on until 1:30am on Saturday.  Temps dropped to <30F that night so we had a big refrigerator for leftovers.  Saturday’s breakfast was leftover chili reheated over the fire and Johnsonville smoked cheddar/jalapeño brats.  Best breakfast I’ve had in some time.

• CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    Fantastic!
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Are you accepting applications for friends?
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Great planning and delivering right there.  Impressive across the board and sounds like you were ready for the audibles.  Congrats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SandyHookEgger
    Options