Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Bagged A Couple 4,000 Footers

CTMike
CTMike Posts: 3,247
My kid and I hiked the Franconia Ridge Loop trail in NH this past Saturday. Great weather, and 50+ mph winds on the ridge. Believe it when AMC rated this trail as difficult. 8.6 miles of muscle fatigue. Loved every minute of it - after the fact. 

MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
Southeastern CT. 

Comments

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    WOW!!
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,739
    the ridge must have been brutal this time of year with a 50 mph wind.  mt washington looks to be snowpacked right now, was looking at it from the lake this weekend
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • CTMike
    the ridge must have been brutal this time of year with a 50 mph wind.  mt washington looks to be snowpacked right now, was looking at it from the lake this weekend

Yup, we spent as little time on the ridge as possible. The ridge was very beautiful in a severe kind of way.

Mt Washington is definitely snow-covered, we could see it for a few seconds at a shot when the clouds would briefly clear.

MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    My muscles hurt just lookin at the pictures. Congrats on the accomplishment.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • CTMike
    My muscles hurt just lookin at the pictures. Congrats on the accomplishment.
    Mine still hurt 3 days later - going downstairs is brutal currently. Glad I did it, but my body hates me. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    WAY TO GO.

Once getting elevation in your blood, it never stops.

Love the images. That is my favorite thing to do, is bagging summits. I know exactly the burn you feel, but the high you get from it is a rush like none other. The view is always worth the climb.

See you at the top.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • CTMike
    YukonRon said:
    WAY TO GO.

Love the images. That is my favorite thing to do, is bagging summits. I know exactly the burn you feel, but the high you get from it is a rush like none other. The view is always worth the climb.

See you at the top.
    Thanks Ron. Did Mt Washington a number of years ago via Tuckerman Ravine trail - once you get past the headwall it is just a scramble from one boulder to another. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Now now you just need to ski Tuckerman’s. It’s a much faster route down.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    YukonRon said:
    WAY TO GO.

See you at the top.
    (warning: sappy rocky mountain high video response follows)

Are you going to become a 46'er in the Adirondacks next?

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• YukonRon
    Mike,

We have done summits around the world, none are the same and all have been exciting. 

I did the Ammonoosic trail years ago on the The Big Rock Pile, will do it again after retirement. This had to be one of the most gratifying of all.

Very cool Mike...I could not be more impressed.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • CTMike
    edited October 2019
    Kayak said:
    Are you going to become a 46'er in the Adirondacks next?
    Maybe after I finish all of the 4,000 footers in NH. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • CTMike
    Now now you just need to ski Tuckerman’s. It’s a much faster route down. 
    Way too steep for me, and too many people have died doing it. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Nice to see you Navy guys can strap on the boots and walk when you need to.   You have some amazing pictures and even better memories!

Great trip!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Cool post.

Type II Fun:  Not so much while you're doing it, but fun after the fact.
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • CTMike
    TN_Egger said:
    Cool post.

Type II Fun:  Not so much while you're doing it, but fun after the fact.
    Had that exact conversation with my kid during the hike, he'd never heard the phrase before. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Awesome achievement there Mike. It is great to see someone go after something, and accomplish their goal.  Way to go! 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Wow @CTMike nice day for it.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• YukonRon
    Keep after it Mike.....love these shots.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • CTMike
    So my 11 y/o grandson bagged his first 4,000 footer yesterday as we hiked MT Tecumseh in the White Mountains. 2,650’ of elevation in 2.5 miles made for a fairly steep hike, felt like I was on a Stairmaster. 

Back at the car I asked him what he thought. “I liked it, except when the trail went straight up.”

Unfortunately we had low clouds so there wasn’t much for views at the top.

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,322
    Anything to keep youth active, especially now.  Congrats.  
    I would be grocery bag challenged these days  =)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • thetrim
    Very cool thread.  I'm hitting 30 miles of the AT next week in NC.  It's only 80% chance of rain all three days. I'm hoping for a light drizzle like the last Butt Blast.
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • YukonRon
    Way to go. We have been Hiking trails in the RRG, doing some off trail hiking and rock scramble/climbs.
    The only thing I will tell you is pack as light as you can, and remember, nothing is the only thing that weighs nothing.
    Stay safe.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • CTMike
    edited August 2020
    thetrim said:
    Very cool thread.  I'm hitting 30 miles of the AT next week in NC.  It's only 80% chance of rain all three days. I'm hoping for a light drizzle like the last Butt Blast.
    Enjoy Steve. My kid and I are headed back up to NH Labor Day weekend to bag a few more peaks.

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • CTMike
    edited August 2020
    YukonRon said:
    Way to go. We have been Hiking trails in the RRG, doing some off trail hiking and rock scramble/climbs.
    The only thing I will tell you is pack as light as you can, and remember, nothing is the only thing that weighs nothing.
    Stay safe.
    I agree about weight. I have been spending too much time reading on r/ultralight, and that is causing me to spend too much money. But, my new pack, tent, down quilt, and pad total to < 6 lbs. That is significant considering the pack I took to Patagonia was 5.5 lbs alone. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • YukonRon
    CTMike said:
    YukonRon said:
    Stay safe.
    I agree about weight. I have been spending too much time reading on r/ultralight, and that is causing me to spend too much money. But, my new pack, tent, down quilt, and pad total to < 6 lbs. That is significant considering the pack I took to Patagonia was 5.5 lbs alone. 
    Worth ghe money if you are going up. I have spent a SL in ultralite gear. Totally understand. 
    I think our best investment has been the cork handled Leki hiking sticks. Cost a bunch, but has paid dividends 100× over. Just wish I bought them sooner.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,939
    Not sure how I'm only just seeing this thread now but I love it.  

So many great peaks to get to in and around New England.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • thetrim
    I’m starting to miss all my ultra heavy ultra bulky Army gear built by the lowest bidder.  

How TF did I ever tote the weight on my back I did back then???  Even taking into account what I’m carrying around the waist, it’s nowhere near the same.   

Getting old sucks. 
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,739
    theres trout ponds on some of the nh mountains, i used to bring a heavy old town canoe
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it