Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thank you LawnRanger

Options
Mickey
Mickey Posts: 19,674

A THANK YOU to a very special Egghead and very dear friend @Lawnranger

Saturday while traveling with Mike and Sharon (LawnRanger) to Taos our new Standard Poodle Salt bolted from the Inn keeper where we stay in Taos while we were out. 

She pulled out of her collar with tracking “Tile” on it. Spent 30+ hours in the High Desert very rough country.  She traveled in a 2 to3 mile length several times from spotting.  She was recovered 30 hours later rough but safe. 

Those of you who know Mike understand. He is the greatest guy ever in an emergency and i am so glad to call him a friend. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Don't count yourself short Mickey...both of you are 1 in a Billion! 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Glad you got her back. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,571
    Options
    What a scare..Glad for the positive outcome. Great friend for sure..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Who says "internet friends"aren't real friends??

Glad you got her back.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options

I know that had to be a ruff 30 hours or so for ya. Glad she is back in your good hands.....thanks on behalf of all dog lovers for the assistance of friends in tracking her down.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • EggObsessed
    Options
    So happy this turned out so well.  I know how devastated you must have felt during Salt's 30 hour absence.  Great people helping great people!!  Does it get any better??

Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • speed51133
    Options
    I USED to have a tracking collar. They go off of cellular towers, NOT GPS. Your phone uses GPS to show you where the cell towers pinged the collar. In order to conserve battery, the collar only pings every so often, up to minutes apart. By the time your phone shows an update, the dog is LONG GONE, unless he/she is lingering around a certain spot. 

All this causes a false sense of security in my opinion. It is better than nothing, but really makes tracking very difficult. Only solution on the market so far is a radio collar that costs like 10 times as much, but has no monthly fees. You also can't leave it on the dog at all times due to battery and the size of the thing.

Glad you found your dog. I have been in the same scenario many times when my dog was young. 
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,761
    Options
    Glad everything worked out @Mickey
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I USED to have a tracking collar. They go off of cellular towers, NOT GPS. Your phone uses GPS to show you where the cell towers pinged the collar. In order to conserve battery, the collar only pings every so often, up to minutes apart. By the time your phone shows an update, the dog is LONG GONE, unless he/she is lingering around a certain spot. 

All this causes a false sense of security in my opinion. It is better than nothing, but really makes tracking very difficult. Only solution on the market so far is a radio collar that costs like 10 times as much, but has no monthly fees. You also can't leave it on the dog at all times due to battery and the size of the thing.

Glad you found your dog. I have been in the same scenario many times when my dog was young. 
    This tracking system uses GPS and can track in real-time.

Options
    Glad everything worked out in the end, Mickey.
    Options
    WOW! What a sad story, but with a happy ending! I think you already know we are dog lovers also. That scenario would have taken a real toll on us!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    That's a terrifying scenario.  So glad for all involved that it worked out and Salt was recovered.  Not a very forgiving environment for a pet.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Glad you had a happy ending, my friend! Can't imagine 30 hours!! Mike's a great guy!

My dog has bolted on me a few times, twice near very busy streets and once at a rest stop on the NJ Turnpike! Just jumped out of the car and took off. First time, he stopped to pee so I was able to catch him. Second, a guy walking down the street stopped him (my dog is VERY friendly). The NJTP was a miracle. He ran about 100 yards away and then just turned around and came back. All three times, I thought I'd never see him again. Not alive anyway.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I am very happy this turned out for you.I worry about my dog bolting on us everyday. 

Thanks for the heads up @nolaegghead.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Mickey
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    I am very happy this turned out for you.I worry about my dog bolting on us everyday. 

Thanks for the heads up @nolaegghead.
    When we found her i told my breeder i would go to a harness but he said much better would be a Martingale Collar. She has that now with the Tile attached  
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Options
    The area she covered and second pic is in the back of our van with her between my legs. she has slept for three days.  

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    What a nerve racking experience to have your dog out on the run!! Glad you got your baby back. As you know we live on a golf course and our back fence and part of our side fences are wrought iron fences. And we have a Yorkie. When I take him out, I don't let my eyes off him for a second. Mrs. G on the other hand will go out with him and get on the internet and you know what happens then. I've asked her if I could put up chicken wire around the bottom of the fence....should have just done it and not asked. Luckily, we have a good neighborhood and he's usually picked up within 30 minutes and we get a call. Poor guy is around 13 years old, deaf and probably going blind...anyway, glad you got yours back.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Mickey
    Options
    Griffin said:
    What a nerve racking experience to have your dog out on the run!! Glad you got your baby back. As you know we live on a golf course and our back fence and part of our side fences are wrought iron fences. And we have a Yorkie. When I take him out, I don't let my eyes off him for a second. Mrs. G on the other hand will go out with him and get on the internet and you know what happens then. I've asked her if I could put up chicken wire around the bottom of the fence....should have just done it and not asked. Luckily, we have a good neighborhood and he's usually picked up within 30 minutes and we get a call. Poor guy is around 13 years old, deaf and probably going blind...anyway, glad you got yours back.
    This is a Tile. Attached to collar. It’s a tracker if she has collar on. 

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Griffin said:
    Great neighbors make it happen. I am thankful for mine on more than one occasion.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    I trained my golden using a shock collar, one or two beeps- actual shocks and the dog will respond to the beeps exclusively.  Not for everyone I know but after a month or two he understood the rules and he no longer has issues or wears the collar. 
      For your purpose though, if I put the collar on him today and beeped him anywhere in range he will literally be sitting on my feet as fast as he could possibly get there. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• speed51133
    Options

This tracking system uses GPS and can track in real-time.

I owned the original "whistle" which was called TAGG. I abandoned the technology for the shortcomings.  I just read up on it (the latest whistle GO Explore) and the tech has advanced, but not enough IMO. While it does use GPS, the GPS location is relayed via cell towers on the ATT network. To conserve battery, the location is NOT transmitted in constant, real-time. 

Per PC mag: The most important thing for most owners is how fast you get notified of a pet escaping the premises. Unfortunately, this is one area where Whistle doesn't take top honors. In my tests, it usually took a full 4.5 minutes to get a notification (text and push) that the device had left the safe places zone, which as many pet owners know, is plenty of time for a determined doggo to ditch you. https://www.pcmag.com/review/370302/whistle-go-explore

The previous generation, Whistle 3:
    To track your pet, swipe up on the location menu and you'll see a Start Tracking button. The location will update every 90 seconds. Tracking will turn off when it returns home, or within 30 minutes, even if it isn't back, to conserve battery. You must manually tell the app to start tracking again. While the GPS is active, the app will also send notifications every 90 seconds, generically listing the nearest street address even if your pet is in the middle of the woods. This tracked info also disappears in a day.

So, seems like tech is progressing, but the Whistle 1 was worthless. I would be curious to know what gen the OP has. Also, I wasn't quite sure if the tracker separated from the dog or not in this scenario. 
  • speed51133
    Options
    BTW, TILE is not GPS.
  • Chief9
    Chief9 Posts: 141
    Options
    So glad you got her back, that would be heartbreaking to lose her.
    Carrollton, Va