Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dry Aged Australian Wagyu Picanha

smokingal
smokingal Posts: 1,025
edited October 2019 in EggHead Forum

The only times I’ve had picanha was while dining in Brazilian churrascarias and it’s been years
since I’ve been to one.  I’ve never tried Australian Wagyu, cooked picanha at home nor have I
tried it dry aged.  This cook crossed off three things on my to-do list.  I started off with 3.5 lb
and 4.85 lb Aussie Wagyu picanhas, which after 40 days of dry aging in Umai bags, ended up
weighing 2.59 lb and 3.72 lb respectively.

photo IMG01_zpscqs16ed1jpg
photo IMG02_zpsqoux17zgjpg
photo IMG03_zps9ftofulmjpg
photo IMG04_zpshdjrzx97jpg
photo IMG05_zps46yk7lzxjpg
photo IMG06_zpsr6g4izoqjpg
photo IMG07_zps2rpovcdrjpg

I took a chance at cooking the steak rare (127F) using sous vide to see how it would turn out.
The steak was liberally seasoned with Maldon sea salt flakes and seared off caveman style.

photo IMG08_zps6rxe66ajjpg
photo IMG09_zps4ao37rvgjpg
photo IMG12_zpsmootygsjjpg
photo IMG11_zpsifukk3q3jpg

A tomato and spinach salad along with roasted garlic and white cheddar mashed potatoes
rounded out the meal.

photo IMG13_zpsah2vhvdcjpg
photo IMG15_zpsu9fyvozqjpg
photo IMG16_zps9jopjatwjpg
photo IMG14_zpsnevk3deujpg

After dry aging numerous cuts of beef, I have to say that this Wagyu picanha has the strongest
dry aged flavor I’ve ever tried.  If I had cooked it medium rare, my usual preference, it would’ve
been perfect due to increased tenderness and juiciness.

Another meal I haven’t enjoyed in a while is a good ol’ dry aged cheesesteak.  This meal started off with homemade, fresh baked hoagie rolls.

photo IMG17_zpsx2irdgeqjpg
photo IMG18_zpsmu4dhytpjpg
photo IMG19_zpsol0wzg9ejpg

A deli slicer was used to thinly slice onions and create razor thin slices of dry aged picanha.
The onions were caramelized and the meat browned and chopped.  

photo IMG20_zpsqkisosmfjpg
photo IMG21_zpsed9bh5ukjpg
photo IMG23_zpsd81pq8jwjpg
photo IMG24_zpscktyp5mgjpg
photo IMG25_zpsamnfrfewjpg
photo IMG26_zpsf0uqa9njjpg

Cheese sauce was made using white American cheese and then applied to the hoagie roll
and meat in layers.

photo IMG22_zpsnwntleaxjpg
photo IMG27_zpscijtbh26jpg
photo IMG28_zpsrbiapoaajpg
photo IMG29_zps7cafqu8bjpg

Dry aged picanha gives ribeye a real run for its money.  This cheesesteak was ridiculous.  The
flavor was so deeply beefy, the cheese so rich, and the tender, fluffy crumb of the bread absorbed all the grease without becoming saturated or soggy.  This was excellent eats.

It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
Egging in the Atlanta GA region
Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com

Comments