Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Should I get a Costco Membership?

I've been considering a Costco membership for a while now. One of my local butcher shops closed down and I have one more nearby and shop for meat and other groceries at Whole Foods. My wife shops on Amazon Fresh/Whole Foods. I know many folks here have a Costco membership. I'd be shopping for myself, my wife, and a three year old. Do you think it is worthwhile for a small family such as mine to shop at Costco? Would I be best served just buying meat there and getting the rest of the groceries from Whole Foods?

Thanks.
Mountain View, CA

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    I've been a member for a few decades so I'm biased and would say "yes". :)

Go to your local Costco and look around. See if what they have appeals to you.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Costco meat section is really pretty good.  You’ll save money compared to WF for sure, even with the membership costs.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    I'm Amazon Prime and still won't shop at Whole Foods.  They opened here about a year ago and we visited once and decided that it was way too expensive - especially for meats.  We've been members of Costco for 15 years and there are only 2 of us.  We have a very large freezer just for meats and I buy the cryovac packages of meat at Costco and do my own cutting most of the time.  A bonus was about 6 months ago when they started carrying Prime Packer Briskets (currently $3.99/lb)  Once in a great while we go to Restaurant Depot (about 45 minutes away), but Costco has most of the same cuts.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • I joined last year in search of all this meat goodness.  The pork ribs, lamb chops, and chicken is good and cheaper than anywhere else I can find it but the beef is not that great.  I go elsewhere for my steaks.  Their prime meat is not really prime.  Great for families but not the guy in search of a great cut of meat.  They do have tons of other good products besides food but having to by in mass can be a pain.  

For 60bucks it's worth a try.  The gas discount alone can take a big chunk out if the signup fee.
  • Yes. My options are limited as far as briskets, trip tip, and inexpensiveness of other meats. So Costco is my go to. Plus you really do save on bulk 
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,354
    Yep just two of us here, wouldn’t go without it.
    Jacksonville FL
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    edited October 2019
    Costco will allow you to visit the store before you join. Shop the isles and see if Costco meets your needs. I predict that would be a "yes". 

USDA Prime packers and ribeyes at discount prices. That in itself is enough for me. OK, then are St. Louis ribs, tri tip, pork belly, rack of lamb, fresh caught wild salmon and halibut, applewood smoked bacon, excellent wine selection...
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,944
    No.  You will find endless things you never knew you needed.  I rarely make it out with only purchasing my intended items.  It will wind up costing you much more in the long run!
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    Definite yes and get they're credit card. I just got a new Dyson vac today with our reward money plus they gave us over $200 bucks back in cash. There's a lot more than meat and groceries. Best place for alcohol. 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Their prime meat is not really prime. 
    It may not be SRF quality beef, but it is definitely USDA Prime.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Matt86m
    Matt86m Posts: 471
    You get 2 whole chickens for about $12, that's 2 for 1 compared to the grocery store. Beef is good, spendy. Lamb and pork is always good. 

Hell, a rotisserie chicken is $4.99 - great for quick meal, road trip.

You'll find other stuff too. 
    XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Put simply, yes.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,204
    Yes. Just yes. We’ve never regretted it. 
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    Yes
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • td66snrf said:
    Definite yes and get they're credit card. I just got a new Dyson vac today with our reward money plus they gave us over $200 bucks back in cash. There's a lot more than meat and groceries. Best place for alcohol. 
    Their @DMW
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Well sir...I haven't read any of the other replies so I could give you my unbiased opinion. About 6 years ago Costco opened a big store about 15 miles on a gazillion set of stop lights from us. We had been SAMS members for maybe 18 or more years and it was just 6 miles from us on back roads meaning we got there quickly. 

Finally a good friend's comment piqued my interest. He said if his wife wasn't home, nor at work then she could be found at Costco!

We joined at the cheap membership level. Stayed on that for two years and then after careful (bean counter as I am) and bumped up to the executive level and have never regretted it!,

BTW we have even continue our SAMS membership.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Don't waste another minute.  Yes.
  • Yes, cheap gas, 5 dollar rotisserie chickens and 1.50 hotdog.
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Yes - I’ve found their meat price/selection to be great, good dairy/eggs, fresh produce with very few bad experiences, good wine and beer selection, and amazing pimento cheese haha
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Yes. Similar situation here - us and a 5yo 

About $900 cash back on the credit card annually. 

Refinanced  our mortgage through them when rates hit record lows a few years back. 

Car buying program works well for some. 

And many other benefits. We have one 5mins away, but I don't think I would drive more than 30mins to shop at one. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Oh, rental cars are competitive through Costco as well
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    In the main I endorse the membership.  This comes with the "Do you have a fairly specific target selection of products that you think you will benefit by getting the membership?"  If not, then jump in by all means.  Take advantage of the walk-thru and if you are focused on one specific buy group see how it works for you.  FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Have a SAMS membership and closest store is 90 miles.  Costco would be 150 miles.  So we shop at Sams about every 8 weeks.
  • I've not audited our spending, but I'll bet we don't "save" money after buying the membership based on how much we spend there in a year. But I wouldn't want to be without Costco. The meat is definitely above average and always good prices on that. I also like that the ribs have membrane removed. We're only two, so I also recommend a food saver, which you can find for a good price at Costco! The credit card also provides generous rewards and doubles as your membership card. As with everything else, they will refund your membership if dissatisfied.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 679
    As long as you consider a vacuum sealer a part of it, yes. 
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Luckily I don’t pay for our membership but if I had to I would.  
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    edited October 2019
    Another beauty of Costco is no questions asked on returns, if it quits working, take it back.  I'm on my 3rd food saver. @alaskanassasin was my English acceptable on this post ?
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    td66snrf said:
    Another beauty of Costco is no questions asked on returns, if it quits working, take it back.  I'm on my 3rd food saver. @alaskanassasin was my English acceptable on this post ?
    Including Christmas trees.

https://abc7.com/society/woman-returns-dead-christmas-tree-to-costco-in-january/2929173/