Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wild Yeast

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,750
    blind99 said:
    Here’s what not to do:

Oops. 

Artisan Loaf Right There!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Just some more recent sourdough loaves.

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    Odd. I clicked like 10-12 pics and only one uploaded. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    That's art. I bet it looked beautiful after baking. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,750
    Very cool Blake 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • NPHuskerFL
    Let's try posting this again.  The last four are from Saturday's loaf.  All others are within a month or so.

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • @NPHuskerFL..Those all look fantastic. Great post Blake.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • NPHuskerFL
    @johnmitchell Thanks John
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    That’s a great ear on that loaf. I have trouble getting good ears consistently. Those loaves look delicious. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • caliking
    Impressive lame work! I haven't seen that double cut (or whatever it's called ) before. 

• NPHuskerFL
    @SciAggie Thanks Gary! During bulk I've been doing more folds to build strength. More cold bulk and cold final proof. I find that letting the dough just chill (figuratively & literally) produces better flavor and more rustic airy loaves. Final shaping getting the surface as tight as possible helps also.  The "ears" just come with practice. 

@caliking Thank You.  Double cut?  The latest loaf with the "ear" is a single score at about a 30° angle and parallel to the axis (true on Boule and Batards alike).
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    I don't remember seeing this thread before.  I only read the OP, and then the ones beginning in the last week.  I will gradually read everything.  

Tonight I just watched "Good Eats" newest episode, on sourdough starter.  AB talked about beginning a starter from scratch, re-feeding every day or so, and how it just doesn't seem to do much for the first few times (weeks?), then all of the sudden the microbe balance seems to settle in, and the starter begins exploding!  This really seems to match the OP's experience, and I'm curious if he's seen this AB episode?  
    Another "Retirement Thingie To Explore", for me!    

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• caliking
    @SciAggie Thanks Gary! During bulk I've been doing more folds to build strength. More cold bulk and cold final proof. I find that letting the dough just chill (figuratively & literally) produces better flavor and more rustic airy loaves. Final shaping getting the surface as tight as possible helps also.  The "ears" just come with practice. 

@caliking Thank You.  Double cut?  The latest loaf with the "ear" is a single score at about a 30° angle and parallel to the axis (true on Boule and Batards alike).
    Pics 4, 5, 6 above looked like 2 cuts were made in the dough.  Pretty cool boules.

• SciAggie
    Botch said:
    I don't remember seeing this thread before.  I only read the OP, and then the ones beginning in the last week.  I will gradually read everything.  

Tonight I just watched "Good Eats" newest episode, on sourdough starter.  AB talked about beginning a starter from scratch, re-feeding every day or so, and how it just doesn't seem to do much for the first few times (weeks?), then all of the sudden the microbe balance seems to settle in, and the starter begins exploding!  This really seems to match the OP's experience, and I'm curious if he's seen this AB episode?  
    Another "Retirement Thingie To Explore", for me!    
    I got my starter from King Arthur flour. I’ve had it for almost three years now. It’s not a bad option if you just want to dive in. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • NPHuskerFL
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited September 2019
    @Botch
    I've had my starter since Jan 2016.  I've yet to name it.  Made it myself. Actually did a step by step tutorial at Big Green Brotherhood. Com but, I just tried to log in to that website and something is going on so I'm not sure if it's even out there now. But if you go into any search engine and type my handle name and how to sourdough starter you'll see what I'm talking about.
    The only way I can see somebody wanting to buy a starter in lieu of actually making it themselves would be to have the cultures of that area in there starter IE San Francisco. OTT I see no point.  And honestly even if you get a starter that has roots from say San Francisco once you bring it home you're Airborne organisms will make its way into that starter so it will never actually be pure unless that is where you reside. Which brings me back to the beginning of what's the point of purchasing it?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    edited October 2019
    Heh, we could start a raging cottage industry of "gourmet-mix" sourdough: a base of San Francisco, with 1/3 Virginia foothills microbes, and a touch of Mexican Yućatan....   =)

(hey, bottled water is a multi-billion-dollar industry!)  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• NPHuskerFL
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    the tops are nice, but the insides are ridiculous.  you're getting some amazing crumb, B.  
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    @NPHuskerFL What kind of flour are you using for your loaves?
    It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • NPHuskerFL
    Thanks @blind99
    @smokingal it varies.  I use KABF, Bob's Red Mill and Arrowhead. I would love to get into Milling my own at some point.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    edited October 2019

I’ve been having good luck with sd as well. My starter was created in Florida last winter and I brought it home to Canada. May be related to Blake’s starter biologically. If you haven’t tried it, made some sourdough pizza crust. Delicious!

In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • SciAggie
    These great loaves of bread are making me hungry...
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    This may have been discussed in this thread previously, and if so, my bad.  But I'm curious as to the makeup, hydration level and feeding intervals of everyone else's starters.  I started with a liquid SF white flour-based starter back in Summer 2018, which was fed every 12 hours.  I've gradually converted it to a 50% hydration, semolina rimacinata/organic einkorn blend fed every 24 hours.  It's young but hearty.
    It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • SciAggie
    I keep my starter in the refrigerator in a stoneware crock. Let’s say I want to bake a loaf of bread or make pizzas on the weekend. I’ll pull the starter out on Monday night or Tuesday morning. 

The first feeding I’ll measure 150 g each of flour, bottled water, and starter. This sits on the counter 12 hours while I’m at work. So I feed twice a day - morning and evening. 

I don’t particularly want that ripe sourdough flavor - I just like a fresh active starter. After 3-4 feedings at the 1:1:1 ratio I’ll start cutting back on the starter for each feeding. For example I’ll mix 150 g of flour and 150 g of water with 50-60 grams of starter. This moderates the flavor and make it have a “fresher” smell and taste. 

By by the time I’m ready to make dough on Friday it will be ripe in 8 hours or slightly less - very active and robust. 

As as far as the flour goes, I stick with KA bread flour in my starter. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited October 2019
    @smokingal I'm not sure if it was discussed previously or not. Most likely it was😁.
    I store my starter in the refrigerator so feeding intervals aren't everyday but I do feed at least once a week. That said if your starter is kept on the Shelf which is totally fine your feeding interval is going to be daily or perhaps even several times a day. Even with me baking once or twice a week storing in the refrigerator works for me. As far as what flours that is up to you. I use a high protein white like KABF and a spelt and WW and alternate flours.  Starter hydration tends to be a little stiffer than a lot of people like to use. Most recipes out there are going to call for a starter hydration of 100% which is a 50/50 water:flour ratio.
    The above loaves that I have pictures of vary in hydration from 71% all the way up to 88% hydration.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Woody
    Woody Posts: 125
    Coming into this thread very late and only on page 6.  Great stuff:)

What is meant by slap and fold?

There seemed to be naming suggestions for starters and maybe someone already came up with this, but here it is

Mrs. Doughfired

Woody in Northville, MI
    Large BGE with AR R & B Oval Combo w/Extender and Sliding D Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware Cap, Wok, Grill Grates and Kettle Q
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    @smokingal if i'm being really precise, and baking a loaf every day or two, i feed at 50% hydration, 1-2x per day, if it's on the counter.  Usually just KA unbleached white flour, however, I also like to add some rye sometimes.  The 50% hydration is only because it makes the math easier for me.

It's really sturdy stuff, though, so I often leave it in the fridge for a week.... or longer.... and just eyeball the feedings.  After neglect, it can get pretty funky, though!  I switch it to a fresh plastic container every few months, too.  

In case of emergency, I have some on hold in the freezer, dehydrated and vacuum packed.  Also makes it easy to send.... what I got from @20stone is now multiplying in NY and NJ...

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited October 2019
    Roasted acorn squash whisked together with half & half for the hydration. These loaves were all a 1:2:3
    Cast Iron by Challenger Breadware

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014