Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Sunday beef ribs.

Sunday beef ribs.  We like pictures so I will keep it short with the words. On the grill at 9:00 am with oak. Cooked at 290F dome. 
One with hardcore Carnivore, one with paprika, salt pepper, and a pinch of cayenne.

Not a bad meal. 
--------------------------------------------------
Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
....just look for the smoke!
Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 

Comments

• Nice Mark!  What did you think of the difference between the two in the end?
    "A generation of the unteachable is hanging upon us like a necklace of corpses." - George Orwell 

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

The other ahole

Living large in the 919
  • ryanttryantt Posts: 2,338
    Good looking ribs!! Dang near licked the screen.    
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2
    Massillon Ohio 
    Check out Chef Norah Grace on Instagram @the_buckeye_bbq
  • Sea2SkiSea2Ski Posts: 4,000
    Thanks John. I liked them for different reasons.  The hardcore was a bit salty compared to the other, so for that reason I would choose my mix on these.  But I did the same thing a few weeks ago on burgers, and I liked the hardcore much better. 
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • northGAcocknorthGAcock Posts: 14,680
    Gawjus
    Johns Creek GA with a Large & a 17" Blackstone........Medium & MiniMax in storage

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • dmchicagodmchicago Posts: 2,768
    That wine, tho...
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE.

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • nice idea with the pyramiding of the ribs!
    great looking cook
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • I’ve yet to try beef ribs but want to . Is what u cooked just called beef ribs, or are they short ribs, spare ribs , rib roast ??? None of the few butcher shops around here ever have beef ribs out in the counter coolers so I want to know what to ask for 

Southern Indiana 1 Large Egg, Blackstone griddle

Live long, and prosper

• Buddy that looks great!
  • Mark that looks great... 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • I’ve yet to try beef ribs but want to . Is what u cooked just called beef ribs, or are they short ribs, spare ribs , rib roast ??? None of the few butcher shops around here ever have beef ribs out in the counter coolers so I want to know what to ask for 
    You want to ask for plate short ribs, the butcher can look for IMPS #123A.  
  • td66snrftd66snrf Posts: 1,790
    I’ve yet to try beef ribs but want to . Is what u cooked just called beef ribs, or are they short ribs, spare ribs , rib roast ??? None of the few butcher shops around here ever have beef ribs out in the counter coolers so I want to know what to ask for 
    If you bought a bone in rib roast and then cut the bones off you would have beef back bones very tasty IMHO. Spare ribs are pork. Short ribs are from the plate.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • YukonRonYukonRon Posts: 16,126
    Did some tonight as well. Looks awesome my friend. Love the paring.....
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SciAggieSciAggie Posts: 6,186
    I think I’m going to have to make some beef ribs. These look great!
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 22,962
    Nailed that cook.  Congrats. As I am sure you know, any beef ribs beat their pork cousins every time. Way to bring it home.
    Louisville; "indeterminate Jim" here.  Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!
  • kl8tonkl8ton Posts: 3,226
    Looks fantastic. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Fantastic meal! Have yet to order the HC but plan to give it a go soon. 
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • Another delicious meal!
  • Fantastic post and cook.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • ShiffShiff Posts: 1,835

You want to ask for plate short ribs, the butcher can look for IMPS #123A.  
    That's good advice but many butchers will sell you Chuck Short Ribs (I think these are IMPS #130) when you ask for Plate Ribs.  They are very similar but the plate ribs are usually considered better quality meat.  In any case, try to get them to sell them to you as full slabs since I think they cook and taste better.

Restaurant Depot usually stocks both ribs and since the cryovac packages are clearly labeled, you will be getting exactly what you want.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • lkapigianlkapigian Posts: 7,457
    Looks like a great day !!
    Visalia, Ca

LGBE- Pit's by Klose Trailer -Stumps XL Stretch - Custom Santa Maria-Modified HD Offset Smoker Reverse Flow- FatStack Smoker coming soon- Blackstone 36 - Custom Cold Smoke House and a lonely Brinkman Vertical Smoker
  • Great looking dinner!  Did those a couple months back need to get those back on the list!
    LG BGE
    36" Blackstone
    Weber Genisis
    Cold IPA on tap!
  • westernbbqwesternbbq Posts: 2,451
    Perfection....plus that Merryvale wine is fantastic...their sommelier is hilarious!
  • Money

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• smokingalsmokingal Posts: 1,025
    You can't go wrong with beef ribs and it looks like you did these just right.
    It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 14,867
    Oh yes. That looks like it turned out. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.