Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you reading right now?

Options
TTC
TTC Posts: 1,035
Thought this might be an interesting thread given the wide range of knowledge that exists on this forum.

I've been on recent kick re-reading some of my all time favorites. Just finished The Gold Coast by Nelson DeMille, and currently deep into Prince of Tides by Pat Conroy. 

Fire away...
XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer

Comments

• Spaightlabs
    Options
    Young Men and Fire
  • SmokinBass
    Options
    Permanent Record -Edward Snowden
  • Matt86m
    Matt86m Posts: 471
    Options

XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    This thread

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Options
    Whatever I get for free from Amazon for my Kindle.  Hit or miss quality but usually helps me get to sleep.
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    Brad Thor's Black Lash and Fly Boys.  I go through stages of reading, when I get something interesting I forgo sleep to finish.  

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• ilooklikeelvis
    ilooklikeelvis Posts: 25
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I just finished Perdido Street Station by China Mieville. It took a while to get into (he's kind of a dense writer) but enjoyed it by the end. Now starting its followup, The Scar.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    I just finished Perdido Street Station by China Mieville. It took a while to get into (he's kind of a dense writer) but enjoyed it by the end. Now starting its followup, The Scar.
    Welcome @ilooklikeelvis

I dare say you are the first to make your first post in the reading section of a cooking forum?   What have you been cooking lately?
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Options
    My signed copy

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    This arrived the other day, I forgot that I had pre-ordered it.

I'll probably start it tomorrow.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Options
    What's the deaf state?
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    edited September 2019
    Options
    What I was reading this afternoon even I found a bit bizarre:  Agamemnon, the first play of the Oresteia by Aeschylus, a Greek tragedy from the 5th Century BC.  And I loved it!  I got a "warehouse clearance" catalog from the Great Courses company a month ago and found 2 of their courses that originally had been hundreds of dollars but now were $30, so I said what the heck, not that interested but for $30 I'll give it a shot.  One of them was on Greek Tragedy, so I've been watching video lectures about ancient Greek plays, and it's been surprisingly interesting.  The first one she went into in depth wound up being the Oresteia by Aeschylus, and it sounded good, so I bought a book and read the first play, and actually loved it!

Yeah.  Weird, I know.  I've always been an odd guy.  I usually have several books of different types going at once, and I'm also reading Talking to the Ground by Douglas Preston, which is about a 400 mile horseback journey he took with his wife and daughter, years ago in Navajo country, and so far it's really good.  I also read Old Bones a few days ago, by him and Lincoln Child, kind of a mystery/thriller, and it was good. And I read The Overstory by Richard Powers a few weeks ago, and it was amazing!
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    EGGjlmh said:
    My signed copy
    You have a signed copy of a book written by a confessed federal felon!

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    EGGjlmh said:
    My signed copy

It would be better if it wasn’t federal.  Like a serial murderer or something.  But still.  Criminals have interesting stories. 
  • DMW
    edited September 2019
    Options
    EGGjlmh said:
    My signed copy

It would be better if it wasn’t federal.  Like a serial murderer or something.  But still.  Criminals have interesting stories. 
    See, the thing about this book, it has been audited, and most of it isn't true.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    EGGjlmh said:
    My signed copy

This guy is a complete zero.  All he managed to do was trip over his own Johnson and lie to the FBI.  
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    See, the thing is, I don’t give a shît.  I was just trying to be a smartaśs
  • DMW
    Options
    See, the thing is, I don’t give a shît.  I was just trying to be a smartaśs

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• keener75
    Options
    I am currently re-reading A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry. An amazing story about the struggles and hardship dealing with the caste system in India in the 1970's. The only other book that I have re-read is Barney's Version by Mordecia Richler. Amazing story teller and a canadian icon.
    St Marys, Ontario, Canada  LBGE
  • CornfedMA
    Options
    Just started this. I liked the cover, so I bought it 🤷🏼‍♂️

• ilooklikeelvis
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    Welcome @ilooklikeelvis

I dare say you are the first to make your first post in the reading section of a cooking forum?   What have you been cooking lately?
    Ha, good point. I was prepping to make pulled pork - photos posted separately last night - and came across the reading thread while doing some research!
  • Holepuncher
    Options
    Charles and the Chocolate Factory......I rad it in the private reading room. Not sure whats next, almost finished.
    Hendersonville, TN.
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,429
    Options
    Black Dahlia series/trilogy by Elwood. On the 3rd book. Pretty good. Waiting for a few other pre-orders to hit my Nook
  • oldgeezeystax
    Options
    Anyone for Sci-Fi? I'm currently reading The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin, good so far.

The few before this were:
    • All You Need is Kill - Hiroshi Sakurazaka
    • Childhood's End - Arthur C. Clarke
    • The Forever War - Joe Haldeman
    • The Mote in God's Eye - Jerry Pournelle and Larry Niven
    Frederick, MD - LBGE and some accessories
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Anyone for Sci-Fi? I'm currently reading The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin, good so far.

The few before this were:
    • All You Need is Kill - Hiroshi Sakurazaka
    • Childhood's End - Arthur C. Clarke
    • The Forever War - Joe Haldeman
    • The Mote in God's Eye - Jerry Pournelle and Larry Niven
    Read sci-fi like eating pop corn when I was younger. Know all of the above except Sakurazaka. All good.

For LeGuin, books 1 & 2 of the Earthsea trilogy are very fine. #3 a bit less.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Current reading, my goddaughter's dissertation. "The Diffusion of a Debate: Cultural Resonance and Resource Control in American Organizations’ Framings of Climate Change." A gripping tale of textual and contextual analysis.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    A book on Stockholm Syndrome, I hated it at first but loved it towards the end