Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken Tikka Masala Wontons

I love my CTM pizza I do on the Roccbox.  For awhile I’ve been thinking about how to turn that into some kind of appetizer.  

Some of you may remember the Pulled Pork Pillows I did a few years ago.  Sort of an open-faced eggroll type deal.  These were very similar.

First I made the tikka masala sauce, but instead of large chunks of chicken breast, I used pulled chicken:

It makes it into almost a paste, which is easier to put into the wontons.  Or stuff into anything really.  This stuff would probably make for some kick-butt enchiladas!

Anyway... I digress.  I pre-baked the wontons in muffin pans for about ten minutes at 350F.  That crisps them up a bit so they’re less likely to turn out soggy:

Then I stuffed them with the chicken tikka masala paste and topped them with some mozzarella cheese and a couple different types of onions.  I tried grilled, diced and fried onions.  

Then into the BGE for another ten minutes at 350.  These don’t take long at all.  Garnished with cilantro and a squeeze of lime (hat tip to @caliking for the suggestion):

Verdict: these are delicious.  Ton of flavor, and just the right amount of heat. The consensus was that the grilled onions were the best, although really it’s not as big a difference there as I thought it might be.  I did some of these in the oven too, and what’s interesting is that you do pick up a hint of smoke from the Egg, even though they’re only in there for ten minutes.  That part definitely makes a difference. 

Next time I’ll probably use a low moisture skim mozzarella rather than the fresh stuff, as the latter is just a little too moist.  But I made a ton of these for our family of four tonight and there were zero leftovers.

Thanks for looking!
"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

Comments