Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork belly burnt ends - a 3 pound guandry

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,894
Today while shoe-horning in yet even more meat to my already stuffed upright freezer I had a frozen 3# from Costco from July come to the forefront! (D*mn near broke 5 toes!)

Why I even froze it as 3 pounds still baffles me, but that is another topic...

I never thaw any meat and then refreeze the thawed meat. 

No way will we eat 3#s so will egging, cutting and refreezing the 2 extra pounds work? I know I can trust a FoodSaver bag, but just the same... any  past eggperience replies would be appreciated!
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Hoster05
    Options
    We vac seal extra pulled pork all the time.  2 lbs per bag is enough for a single meal for us and lunch the next day.   
    Mankato, MN - LBGE
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Ron, I think thawed then egged then frozen again then thawed pork belly burnt ends would be KICKBUTT!!!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    i would even freeze smaller cooked pieces to chop up and add to things like rice.  i wouldnt have any problems thawing, cutting, and refreezing bacon without cooking, its a cured product
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • CtTOPGUN
    Options
     Cut it frozen...
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • RRP
    Options
    CtTOPGUN said:
     Cut it frozen...
    Using what?
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    RRP said:
    CtTOPGUN said:
     Cut it frozen...
    Using what?
    Bandsaw for the win! 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Seems like a lot of work to save seven bucks worth of meat. 
  • RRP
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    RRP said:
    CtTOPGUN said:
     Cut it frozen...
    Using what?
    Bandsaw for the win! 
    Actually I do have 2 bandsaws so I could, but I just imagine the rubber tires on them will carry bacon grease for years! 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Is the meat cooked or raw? Is it a 3 lb hunk of pork you want to make into pork belly burnt ends, or already cooked burnt ends? 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• RRP
    Options
    Is the meat cooked or raw? Is it a 3 lb hunk of pork you want to make into pork belly burnt ends, or already cooked burnt ends? 
    currently it is raw and frozen.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Why not smoke the whole 3#s?  When it comes time to cube and sauce save whatever portion you don't want and throw in the fridge to use for something else later in the week.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    RRP said:
    currently it is raw and frozen.
    I don't see any issue with this. I cook extra pulled pork all the time and freeze the cooked pork. I have done this with previously frozen butts with no issue. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    RRP said:
    No way will we eat 3#s so will egging, cutting and refreezing the 2 extra pounds work?
    That's all I ever do. Freezing cooked meat is not the same as re-freezing uncooked meat. I live alone and usually buy a 7-8 lb butt, freeze or not, and cook the whole thing. No way I'll eat that at one sitting! I pull it, eat what I want, portion out the rest, vac seal and freeze. Remember, you won't have 3 lbs after it's cooked. You'll lose about 40%, so less than 2 lbs. Eat half, refrigerate for 2-3 days and eat the rest.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• marysvilleksegghead
    Options
    You could always send me a small amount, if that'll help you out
    You have my address   =)
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    RRP said:
    CtTOPGUN said:
     Cut it frozen...
    Using what?

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• RRP
    Options
    SGH said:
    RRP said:
    CtTOPGUN said:
     Cut it frozen...
    Using what?

COOL saw there, buddy!

Now about that macho necklace at the bottom...I bet no dudes mess with you when you wear that to the bars on Friday nights!