Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The "Rock" In Rockwood Charcoal?!

So I'm giving last nights lump a stir before lighting for this evenings cook.  Came across the biggest rock I've ever had in there.  This is my 2nd bag of RW, seems they are aptly named!

Pic after pulling it from firebox and one after giving it a rinse.....

LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
Great Plains, USA

Comments

• EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Oh no......

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• Oh crap, you are about to blow everyone's mind.  Well, I am sure its a really good rock and you should be thankful it chose you as the owner.  Cherish it.
  • At least its a big rock. Cowboy charcoal only supplies lots of small ones.....
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Here is my one and only after many, many bags of Rockwood.   Sh#t happens, quality product, awesome company.

Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    edited September 2019
    I found my first "Rockwood" rock this weekend too, yours is much bigger (something I will rarely say :tongue:).  
    I'm mounting it on a cheap gold chain and leaving it in my ex-GF's mailbox.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,061
    smbishop said:
    Here is my one and only after many, many bags of Rockwood.   Sh#t happens, quality product, awesome company.

Mine came in at 1.6# on the bathroom scale.  Me holding rock minus me not holding it, so not the most accurate.

Totally agree RW is fine quality product.  Burned Royal Oak for many years until recently saw RW at my local Ace Hardware and decided to finally try it, at over twice the price of RO.  I'm not going back to RO, RW is worth the premium for me.

LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
    edited September 2019
    Weigh your bag, it will weigh min of 21lbs, even though you paid for 20lbs.  Any non-charcoal matetial less than 1lbs and you are money ahead :) Unless it is plywood or plastic bands like cowboy uses.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    RRP said:
    smbishop said:

Your picture as well as that of the thread's poster both start measuring from a point other than at 0 thus making it appear the length of the subject matter is longer than it really is. Could that be from years of... oh - never mind...
    I took it as showing the scale for reference, kind of like the little mi/km scale at the bottom of a map.  Neither of them mentioned an actual length.  We could always ask to get the micrometers out though.  ;)
  • All lump will have some rocks in it, it's a natural product. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• I read a review on ace hardware that one guy doing tongue and groove plywood in the rock wood
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    RRP said:
    smbishop said:

Your picture as well as that of the thread's poster both start measuring from a point other than at 0 thus making it appear the length of the subject matter is longer than it really is. Could that be from years of... oh - never mind...
     @rrp   Seriously Ron?  It is for reference and I stated my support for the product,
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • RRP said:
    smbishop said:

LMAO an it’s even showin six inches!  Ha!  Someone knows how to jam the better half of the rooler into their gut to hit the mark!  
  • Not sure who disagreed with me, but I'd like to know how you can get all the rocks out of trees 

• Not sure who disagreed with me, but I'd like to know how you can get all the rocks out of trees 
    What kind of idiot thinks rocks grow in trees?  Did someone hit you in the head with a big one when you were a kid? 
  • Haha. Yeah. Are we making lump out of root balls??
  • I haven't bought your lump yet, but I will this fall. I appreciate your input and customer service. Thanks
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    smbishop said:
    RRP said:
    smbishop said:

@rrp   Seriously Ron?  It is for reference and I stated my support for the product,
    sorry, pal - obviously my attempt at humor flew right over your head when you were offended by my comment. I'll try to do better...
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • I thought that pic didn't look like plywood....

I have a fresh bag of fogo to use up this weekend. Then I'll get the rock wood.  ;)
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I’ve burned over a pallet of Rockwood so far. Have never found any plywood, flooring scraps, trim, tongue/groove etc. Fairly certain that I never will. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • My Ace in Bloomington Mn started carrying it a while ago all i buy now I have only found a rock not even the size of a quarter did not even add it to my mason jars of everything i have found in others brands. only brand i buy now because of all the good advice from all the good people on here thanks
    XL & waiting for my Mini Max Bloomington MN.
  • a member on another forum has been doing an epic charcoal comparison and I've been playing along at home so I just placed an order for some Rockwood and B&B Oak through Ace. I'm looking forward to trying the RW after learning so much about it on this forum, seems like a good company and a decent guy running it.
    BGE XL, KJ Classic, Weber Performer Copper, 36" Blackstone Pro Series, Weber Genesis Copper, Traeger Pro 22
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Image result for the rock
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • I'm a @stlcharcoal convert. Yeah very rarely get a not totally uncarbonized piece but after 19 bags I have noticed this twice, and rocks? I couldn't  fill a drink glass with them, I feel (and this is my opinion) that this guy cares about BBQ and is just trying to make a living off a business... I feel he is an honest businessman. Ok, off my soapbox now :) 
    Chicago, IL BGE XL BGE Mini Webber Charcoal / Elmhurst, IL
  • Started using my first bag of Rockwood this weekend.  I found a small piece of uncabonized wood (~2x6 inches) in the bag.  It smelled wonderful as it burned.
    What kind of idiot thinks rocks grow in trees?  Did someone hit you in the head with a big one when you were a kid? 
    Not sure why I am replying to a troll, but trees pick things up sometimes as they grow. Sawmills xray their logs because of the things that can be in trees will destroy their blades. 

Not sure why I am replying to a troll, but trees pick things up sometimes as they grow. Sawmills xray their logs because of the things that can be in trees will destroy their blades. 
    And guess what happens to the pieces they reject......to the charcoal plant they go.  You'll find nails, barbed wire, bullets, and even the occasional arrowhead.  Anything that's ever been shot or hammered into a tree many years forms a knot and gets encased in the wood, and then the charcoal if it doesn't break apart.