Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cold-smoking Steaks - Thoughts?

RLove
RLove Posts: 2
We tried cooking a steak with sou vide and it was perfectly moist and tender, but I miss the smoke flavor I get from cooking in the Egg. I was thinking that I could route the smoke from the egg through metal dryer hose into a styrofoam cooler with ice in it and the ribeyes above on a grate - pump the smoke through to the cooler. This would keep the meat chilled, get some smoke, and then I could vacuum seal them and do the sou vide process. Any flaws in my thinking - suggestions?

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,749
    Welcome, with SV you are " pasturizung " the meat, I would not cold smoke anything without cure.You can,sear then sous vide or sous vide then sear ( the latter works better for me ) to get your smoke flavor....sous vide alone wold not be that appealing 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    SV then sear. @lkapigian Exactly.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,169
    Liquid smoke.. im not ashamed to use it
  • Man, that’s a lot of work for a steak.  Just perfect your reverse sear game.  

Or SV and sear, but IMO that doesn’t get much smoke. 
  • Yes, I sear after sou vide definitely, the meat isn't appetizing coming out of the sou vide to be sure, but wanted a way to get the smoke flavor. I was just thinking that I kept the meat just as cold as in the refrigerator for a couple hours of smoke penetration, I'd be okay - but it sounds like maybe liquid smoke may be the only way (with time constraints) without putting the meat on the grill. Thanks for the input.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,749
    You could in theory be safe and do that..one thing when cold smoking a pelliclw is helpful for the smoke to stick, if the meat is very cold and water condenses on the surface the smoke will make an " acrid" taste...if you can keep it dry them bring it to a safe temp you'd be fine....give it a try and post your results 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I use my Smoking Gun when I’m not goin to be using the egg. I’ll hit it with the gun then SV then cast iron for searing 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    I know, I know, you all are going to yell at me, but seriously:  What you're saying is that a carefully done reverse sear tastes better than SV-ing it.

I AGREE with you!  :)

Listen to your own wisdom!  Forget the Rube Goldberg claptrap and reverse sear it!
  • Theophan said:
    I know, I know, you all are going to yell at me, but seriously:  What you're saying is that a carefully done reverse sear tastes better than SV-ing it.

I AGREE with you!  :)

Listen to your own wisdom!  Forget the Rube Goldberg claptrap and reverse sear it!
    Actually, what we’re saying is it sounds like the OP would prefer that, not that any of us would.  But, you already knew that. 
  • I prefer SV then sear. Having a perfectly cooked center and the right exterior is nice. And it's really hard for me to F it up. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    RLove said:
    We tried cooking a steak with sou vide and it was perfectly moist and tender, but I miss the smoke flavor I get from cooking in the Egg. I was thinking that I could route the smoke from the egg through metal dryer hose into a styrofoam cooler with ice in it and the ribeyes above on a grate - pump the smoke through to the cooler. This would keep the meat chilled, get some smoke, and then I could vacuum seal them and do the sou vide process. Any flaws in my thinking - suggestions?
    Remember that smoke is water soluble and much of the smoke flavor you add will end up in the liquid in the sv bag and not on the steak.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.