Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Andrew Luck we hardly knew ye.OT

Options
13»

Comments

• BigreenGreg
    Options
    Part of me wishes Andrew Luck would have just said “Peace Out” and walked out of the press conference.
    LBGE, 36" Blackstone, Anova Pro
    Charleston, SC
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,974
    Options
    There were multiple pieces by 538, Deadspin, ESPN, you name it analyzing Kap’s abilities shortly after he was cut that compared him statistically to other QBs who were getting picked up at the time.  Hell, the Redskins signed Mark Sanchez off the g-d street, and he was pretty terrible.

The notion that Kap wasn’t getting signed because he just wasn’t good enough would hold more water had multiple teams been trying him out around that time, but they really didn’t because the NFL just wanted him to go away.  This isn’t hard to figure out.  Pro sports, especially the NFL, is big business, and sometimes PR considerations trump on the field ability.  Kap’s not the first to suffer the consequences of that and he definitely won’t be the last.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    CtTOPGUN said:
    dmchicago said:
    Let's assume there are 64 QB's in the league. Probably more, but 2 per team for this discussion.

Do you really think Kap isn't better that at least 1 or those 64?
     Maybe. But not by any significant margin. The headache is not worth the investment right now. The up-side is not enough to make it worth the risk. He was exposed the last couple seasons of his career. Better to invest in someone with more upside or less baggage.

The point is only that it’s not primarily about his ability on the field so much as him being a liability off it.
  • BigreenGreg
    Options
    I agree with you John but add that he suffered his own consequences. I believe he got a payout on the issue (undisclosed sum).
    LBGE, 36" Blackstone, Anova Pro
    Charleston, SC
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    Both Kap and Vince Young.  Better than many of the backups out there during the first couple of years they weren’t playing.  I think Manziel received more consideration.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    edited August 2019
    Options
    There were multiple pieces by 538, Deadspin, ESPN, you name it analyzing Kap’s abilities shortly after he was cut that compared him statistically to other QBs who were getting picked up at the time.  Hell, the Redskins signed Mark Sanchez off the g-d street, and he was pretty terrible.

The notion that Kap wasn’t getting signed because he just wasn’t good enough would hold more water had multiple teams been trying him out around that time, but they really didn’t because the NFL just wanted him to go away.  This isn’t hard to figure out.  Pro sports, especially the NFL, is big business, and sometimes PR considerations trump on the field ability.  Kap’s not the first to suffer the consequences of that and he definitely won’t be the last.
    You answered yourself, genius.  Mark Sanchez was hired as a backup.  He hasn’t started since he played for the Jets some years ago.  Nobody wants to deal with Kaepernick’s baggage when the only thing he adds is backup abilities.
    Flint, Michigan
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    The NFL is still a thing people watch?
    I guess enough snowflakes started watching again once Kap was locked out by team owner collusion so he couldn't cause some folks to clutch their pearls.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• JohnInCarolina
    Options

You answered yourself, genius.  Mark Sanchez was hired as a backup.  Nobody wants to deal with Kaepernick’s baggage when the only thing he adds is backup abilities.
    Looks like the unarmed man just can't help himself again today.  Sigh.  

Sanchez ended up starting after Colt McCoy also broke his leg.  The point is that the Redskins would have been better off simply hiring Kap after McCoy went down.  

Here's a piece talking about how the Ravens coaching staff was interested in bringing him on board but were met with resistance from the owner:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/colin-kaepernick-is-not-supposed-to-be-unemployed/

It makes the point that this really wasn't about ability, but rather PR.  But, you do you Fred.  I'll go back to my Woodford DO, thank you very much.  
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
     I remember when Kap was being considered by the Ravens. Seems his girlfriend went off on a racial rant about the team and high ranking officials and destroyed his chances. No team needs that headache unless they will have a real good chance to win with the player. Even Ray Lewis who was supporting Kaepernick had to back off and let the cards fall where they may.

I enjoyed watching him play for the 'Niners under Harbaugh. He added an extra element that is hard to defend. But it was figured out by intelligent defensive coordinators. It no longer works. He is simply not that good as a pocket QB. 
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,180
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    The NFL is still a thing people watch?
    I guess enough snowflakes started watching again once Kap was locked out by team owner collusion so he couldn't cause some folks to clutch their pearls.
    Nice trolling attempt. Everyone knows the NFL is the king of ratings. 

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2019/01/top-sports-audiences-2018-list/
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options

You answered yourself, genius.  Mark Sanchez was hired as a backup.  Nobody wants to deal with Kaepernick’s baggage when the only thing he adds is backup abilities.

Sanchez ended up starting after Colt McCoy also broke his leg.  The point is that the Redskins would have been better off simply hiring Kap after McCoy went down.  

John you keep making my point for me.  Sanchez was signed as a backup caliber QB.  Nobody thought they just signed the next franchise QB.  He was signed with hopes he wouldn’t fumble when running into his own lineman’s a$$.  The point is Sanchez, while not possessing starting QB skills, does not bring cancerous baggage either.  Kaepernick also lacks starting QB skills, but is divisive. 

John, you’re a smart guy, but I don’t think you got this one right.  Many years of fantasy football has taught me a thing or two about football.  Stay on the bench sipping your bourbon.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Getting this back on track,  the similarities of Luck’s retirement decision and that of Barry Sanders is not lost on me.  Barry Sanders is arguably the best RB ever to play.  While Luck can’t claim same for being the best QB ever, they both retired claiming age or injury was not the reason
    Flint, Michigan
  • nlovold
    nlovold Posts: 194
    Options
    Didn’t Luck retire due to 4 years of injury??
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    nlovold said:
    Didn’t Luck retire due to 4 years of injury??
    Yep.

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    He claims mentally he’s done.  The nagging injuries are a part/cause of it, but there was no career ending injury a la Joe Theisman or something.
    Flint, Michigan
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited August 2019
    Options

Its odd to me that so many are worried about what Andrew Luck is doing now when nobody ever talked about the guy outside of Indy. As a lifelong Colts fan I don't blame him one bit. A) because he can still put a functioning sentence together, who knows in 5 more years of getting his head kicked in. B ) he doesn't have to deal with that drunk redneck Irsay anymore.

Now he can retire under 30 with 40million to his name, sit around and do nothing till he dies or go get a sweet coaching or analyst gig somewhere and sit in the airconditioned booth on Sunday probably pulling in a couple million a season. Smart move on his part.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I just read that a judge has ordered Johnson & Johnson to pay $572 million to Oklahoma for helping to fuel the state's opioid epidemic, in the first civic trial testing whether drugmakers could be held liable for the nation's deadly addiction crisis.

It may go higher.

It should be noted Johnson and Johnson was the leader in opiod ingredients to make medication for those suffering chronic pain during the time span identified and undisputed by both parties in court documents.

They aggressively marketed the "underprescribed" position to doctors and other health care officials. Cour documents state their marketing campaign attributed to the number of pills sold to provide every adult in Oklahoma 110 pills.

Two other manufacturers of opiod pharmaceuticals have already settled out of court for over $300 million dollars.

This was filed under a nuisance ordinance.
    It was a very clever case, backed by facts and presented well.

The closely watched ruling will likely have implications for a wave of similar lawsuits across the country against opioid manufacturers and distributors.

This is a bit of history, should this ruling ever make it out of a court room, due to the typical systematic approach of tying the decision up in the appeals process.

A legal, government approved, drug prescribed by a properly certified physician, abused and sold on the black market, is now the liability of the manufacturer due to marketing and advertising.

Estimated deaths due to the use of prescription opiods is less than 18,000 Americans/year. The number of deaths for Oklahoma from 2007 to 2017 from opiod overdose was 4630 deaths, or an average of about 463/year.

Since this was at a district court level, do you think Johnson and Johnson or the state of Oklahoma will eventually win the appeals process? 

Will the view prove to be worth the climb?

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    Surprised that J&J didn't get their lobbyists to succeed in Congress in getting immunity from liability a la the gun makers. After all, "pills don't kill people, people do", as they say.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Surprised that J&J didn't get their lobbyists to succeed in Congress in getting immunity from liability a la the gun makers. After all, "pills don't kill people, people do", as they say.
    I read the 42 page decision, in its entirety. The way the State proved its case and the method was very, very clever indeed.

The points listed were irrefutable. The award was appealed as excessive, but the document left open costs to be added later, which could take this even higher.

The state used J&Js own marketing/sales campaign, specific to Oklahoma, (however likely used in other areas), specific to this case under their nuisance law.

They nailed them for using the roads, and other in-state supplied assets in transporting, selling, and communicating.

Plus, they used President Trump's own words when he started the task force for fighting the opiate epidemic, and referenced it throughout his written decision.

It will be interesting.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky