Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wanna try Pastrami but need help

Options
The info on this is so amazing on the forums but not sure of how to cure a brisket.  What do you use to keep it in the fridge for the curing time?  Saw someone using a food grade bucket but I was thinking of the tubs.  Anyone have a link on them?  And of course any hints and recipes send my way! 

Maholo!

Tom
Litchfield Park, AZ.  LBGE, MBGE, SBGE, Kokomo Gas Grill, Pacific Living Pizza Oven

Comments

• BGEChicago
    BGEChicago Posts: 574
    Options
    Chicago, IL BGE XL BGE Mini Webber Charcoal / Elmhurst, IL
  • KamadoTom
    Options
    I've been making pastrami for the last couple weeks and love it!! I'm currently just de brining corned beef that I get from Sam's Club but I would like to make my own corned beef as I've been told it takes the pastrami to a hole different level.
    BGE XL, KJ Classic, Weber Performer Copper, 36" Blackstone Pro Series, Weber Genesis Copper, Traeger Pro 22
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    Yeah, that noob tends to post fake news around these parts frequently =)
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    For an easy way to start making pastrami, buy a corned beef flat.  drop it in a container of water, like a cambro, and leave in the fridge 24 hours to desalt it.  dry it off, and apply a pastrami rub, and let that sit in the fridge for 24 hours.  then add smoke and tenderize.  you can smoke it indirect for a few hours at 275, then wrap in aluminum foil.  easy and fun.

if that works out and you want to get more control and more involved, you can look into equilibrium brines and cure your own flats and add whatever spices you want. (i still cheat here, and make a brine, and use mccormick pickling spice)
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Legume said:
    This one looks good, some noob posted it last year.

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1205811/holy-grail-pastrami
    that guy is an idiot
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • tridogdude
    tridogdude Posts: 136
    Options
    I've used this recipe below to do at least 10 pastrami cooks. Ended up tweaking it over time and have had some amazing results. 

Wet brine I let set for 5 weeks and then a dry rub for 10 days. A lot of it depends on the quality of the meat and the amount of fat in the brisket. 

Get some extra large bags for turkeys. I double the bags in case one leaks. You can then set these bags inside a new 5 gallon bucket that does not have to be food grade since your brine is not touching the bucket.

After the wet brine, depending on the size of your brisket, you'll need a large glass or food grade platter/ bowl to let the dry rub rest in. You can use metal but you'll want to use some plastic wrap so the meat is not resting on the metal platter.

Start out doing your first cook with a smaller cut and work out your recipe.

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/close_to_katzs_home_made_pastrami.html  
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I did one a while back. Got my direction from the Snake River Farms website. Was excellent. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Here's @thirdeye's method...very good (the only one I've ever tried, actually the only time I ever made pastrami). http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/05/beef-pastrami.html

Welcome to the nuthouse!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I've always done a dry brine which I find less messy.  Put the meat in a ziplock bag coated with the Morton Tender Quick and turn it a few times/day.  You can find info on Tender Quick at: https://www.mortonsalt.com/home-product/morton-tender-quick/

Sometimes it can be hard to find but many grocery stores carry it around here.

Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I've used this recipe below to do at least 10 pastrami cooks. Ended up tweaking it over time and have had some amazing results. 

Wet brine I let set for 5 weeks and then a dry rub for 10 days. A lot of it depends on the quality of the meat and the amount of fat in the brisket. 

Get some extra large bags for turkeys. I double the bags in case one leaks. You can then set these bags inside a new 5 gallon bucket that does not have to be food grade since your brine is not touching the bucket.

After the wet brine, depending on the size of your brisket, you'll need a large glass or food grade platter/ bowl to let the dry rub rest in. You can use metal but you'll want to use some plastic wrap so the meat is not resting on the metal platter.

wow! I thought mine took forever at a week and a half. 6 weeks in brine/dry rub????? I'm so scattered I'm afraid I would lose interest over 6 weeks.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,747
    Options
    thirdeyes link shows several cooking methods, follow the pressure finish method, it makes a big difference. i bought the 20 dollar pressure cooker from bed bath and beyond just for pastrami. have never made it from scratch, just soaked butcher or grocery store versions for 24 hours and then low and slow.  mostly see this with flats but i prefer the point cut
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    I recently bought Michael Symon’s Playing With Fire . In it he gives good and detailed instructions for making pastrami from a whole beef brisket. Starting on page 73 though 74. I wouldn’t mind trying it except I only have a medium and there is no way I could use the mass quantities. Fortunately he has good sections on all other proteins. Good sides, sauces, and rubs.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,747
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I recently bought Michael Symon’s Playing With Fire . In it he gives good and detailed instructions for making pastrami from a whole beef brisket. Starting on page 73 though 74. I wouldn’t mind trying it except I only have a medium and there is no way I could use the mass quantities. Fortunately he has good sections on all other proteins. Good sides, sauces, and rubs.
    try it with a smaller cut, ive had it with chuck and bottom round, both were pretty good, have even had it with beef ribs.  lots of butchers here make corned beef from scratch, some cured with just salt and spice, others using the pink salts
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options

wow! I thought mine took forever at a week and a half. 6 weeks in brine/dry rub????? I'm so scattered I'm afraid I would lose interest over 6 weeks.
    maybe it's an advanced technique - curing lengthwise, instead of from the sides?
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Daddyshack
    Daddyshack Posts: 179
    Options
    Been using this since I started (only a year ago). Have made it 6-8 times. Love it. Great reviews too 
  • dannys
    dannys Posts: 164
    Options
    I've done a mess of corned beef over the years and I love the way they come out. Whenever I look at pastrami recipes they always call for Morton Tender Quick. I've got a lifetime supply of pink salt so I don't really want to buy the MTQ. The problem is that I can't find a recipe that uses pink salt or a conversion from MTQ to salt+pink salt.
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
     I use "POP'S" mild brine to cure brisket, pork belly, pork loin, pork shoulder. Whatever. It stays in the fridge for between a week and two, depending on thickness of meat. 

For each gallon of water add 1Tbsp pink curing salt. 1 cup sea salt. 1 cup granulated sugar. 1 cup brown sugar. Let all dissolve completely before adding protein. 
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    dannys said:
    I've done a mess of corned beef over the years and I love the way they come out. Whenever I look at pastrami recipes they always call for Morton Tender Quick. I've got a lifetime supply of pink salt so I don't really want to buy the MTQ. The problem is that I can't find a recipe that uses pink salt or a conversion from MTQ to salt+pink salt.
    Just use the corned beef made from your favorite recipe.  No reason to switch to using MTQ.  The recipe from AmazingRibs.com uses pink salt, not MTQ.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    dannys said:
    Look up the Michael Symon recipe that I mentioned earlier in this thread. It uses the pink salt.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Type your commentfrom Michael Symon’s Playing With Fire
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    On the above brine boil in two quarts of water. Then add ice to cool. Brine 4 days.
  • Twpinaz
    Options
    Thank you guys for all the tips and recipes!  I'm going to do a quick corned beef one this weekend just to try it out
    Litchfield Park, AZ.  LBGE, MBGE, SBGE, Kokomo Gas Grill, Pacific Living Pizza Oven