Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Two butts

Powak
Powak Posts: 1,391
This Friday night I’m pulling an all-nighter with a couple large butts for a my youngest’s birthday bbq lunch Saturday. Planning on at least 20+/- people to show so I’m gonna make plenty of pork. And regardless of the turnout we love this for leftovers. What’s the biggest size butt’s I can fit together in a large? I’m planning on doing two so I get plenty of surface area for bark.

Comments

• dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,265
    You can easily fit two 10 lb butts on a large. If you have a CGS adjustable rig ot something similar I'm sure you could manage three or even four. There have to be some pics floating around here.
    Mountain View, CA
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Do you have a pit controller?  If not the egg should hold 275/300 pretty steady over night.  Try to get some sleep - especially if tons of kids are coming over the next day!   Try the @YukonRon version and throw some peach preserves on those things - you'll be a hero. 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • This is about 20 pounds I did a few weeks ago on my large. It has the CGS adjustable rig. I did these at about 300. They took about 7 hours. 
    Pittsburgh, PA. LBGE
  • Powak
    GoooDawgs said:
    Do you have a pit controller?  If not the egg should hold 275/300 pretty steady over night.  Try to get some sleep - especially if tons of kids are coming over the next day!   Try the @YukonRon version and throw some peach preserves on those things - you'll be a hero. 
    No I don’t but I’ve gone 23 hours at 250-275 with no vent adjustments on a brisket. Sometimes I’ll throw that grill temp probe on my Smoke as the second alarm and keep an eye on the egg temp but it’s usually pretty dang stable.
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    i would just do the turbo butts, 5.5 hours from start to finish and you dont have to do the all nighter.  350 until IT of 160, then wrap and finish.  rest in a cooler for 30 min and serve.  i did 2 low and slow (about 10lbs each) and 2 turbo same size and you couldnt tell a difference in my opinion.  i injected both and rubbed both the exact same,

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,545
    Don"t forget to have a good size drip pan..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Powak
    Kent8621 said:
    i would just do the turbo butts, 5.5 hours from start to finish and you dont have to do the all nighter.  350 until IT of 160, then wrap and finish.  rest in a cooler for 30 min and serve.  i did 2 low and slow (about 10lbs each) and 2 turbo same size and you couldnt tell a difference in my opinion.  i injected both and rubbed both the exact same,
    I like doing turbo too. I did a couple for the forth but for some reason the meat kinda clung on to the bone. The low and slows I’ve done the bone pulls out clean. 
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Plan on about 50% yield.  I would try to get two 12 pounders for a group that size with potential leftovers.  You should be able to get this on a large without issue.

Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • Powak
    Talked to my grocery store yesterday the biggest butts they can get me are closer to 8-9 lbs, could I fit a 3rd one in the egg?
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Yes

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    They'll probably be touching when you first put them in.  As they shrink that will get better.  But you may want to rotate them (spin each one 180 degrees) to put the part that was in the center of the grate touching/near other cold meat toward the heat on the outside and vice versa.  

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Powak
    edited August 2019
    Foghorn said:
    They'll probably be touching when you first put them in.  As they shrink that will get better.  But you may want to rotate them (spin each one 180 degrees) to put the part that was in the center of the grate touching/near other cold meat toward the heat on the outside and vice versa.  
    I gotta a extender d grate for my PSWOO2 but i probably can’t use that because I think the butts are too tall right?
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    It should still work out.  Cram them in.  Make sure there is at least some room for air flow around them in the periphery.  Ignore the dome thermometer after you put on 24+ pounds of cold meat that will be sitting just under its probe.  And give them plenty of time.  While the 3 butts are crammed together they'll cook like one 24 pound butt.  When they shrink up and separate they'll cook like any 8-9 pound butt.  

Cramming a bunch of meat into an egg brings some challenges, but because the ceramic heats up, retains the heat, and it doesn't need a lot of airflow, you can make it work and get good results.  For most other grills that's not the case.  For example, filling up the cooking chamber of a stick burner is a real no-no because of how dependent it is on airflow.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Powak
    Foghorn said:
    It should still work out.  Cram them in.  Make sure there is at least some room for air flow around them in the periphery.  Ignore the dome thermometer after you put on 24+ pounds of cold meat that will be sitting just under its probe.  And give them plenty of time.  While the 3 butts are crammed together they'll cook like one 24 pound butt.  When they shrink up and separate they'll cook like any 8-9 pound butt.  

Cramming a bunch of meat into an egg brings some challenges, but because the ceramic heats up, retains the heat, and it doesn't need a lot of airflow, you can make it work and get good results.  For most other grills that's not the case.  For example, filling up the cooking chamber of a stick burner is a real no-no because of how dependent it is on airflow.

Excellent! Well I’m gonna bust out the d grate and do some crammin’ tonight then
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Happy Burfday to the youngest. Lookin forward to some cooler fall weather to get back into butt cooking myself. I will enjoy seeing yours in the mean time. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Powak
    Happy Burfday to the youngest. Lookin forward to some cooler fall weather to get back into butt cooking myself. I will enjoy seeing yours in the mean time. 
    Thank you! I lucked out, my girls love bbq. When my oldest was about 4-1/2 I took her into my local egg dealer and she saw the Mini and goes “Look daddy! An egg for me!” and opened and closed the lid. And continued to ask when she could get one hehehehe. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Powak said:
    Thank you! I lucked out, my girls love bbq. When my oldest was about 4-1/2 I took her into my local egg dealer and she saw the Mini and goes “Look daddy! An egg for me!” and opened and closed the lid. And continued to ask when she could get one hehehehe. 
    So when did she get hers? 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Powak
    edited August 2019
    We’ve got a total of 17 adults and 8 kids. How much butt should I get?
  • mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    if they are only 8 lbs and not sure what other foods you got coming I would suggest min 3 but 4 would be better. I did 2 x 8 lbs for 13 adults camping a few weeks back less then a lb of pork left it was pork tacos so no real sides besides the toppings Hope that helps

Long Island NY    
    1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18
  • mlc2013
    with the extender you should be able to fit 2 x 8.5 butts per rack easy on a large just do what @Foghorn said about rotating.
    GOOD LUCK TONIGHT or probably more importantly Good Luck Tom
    Long Island NY    
  • Powak
    Wound up with 10+ pounder and an almost 9 pounder for a grand total of 18.89 pounds. 
  • Powak
    Sometime in the night:
  • Powak
    edited August 2019
    Put on the pork at 4:30pm yesterday. Finished 16 hours later at 8:30 this morning. Just as I was takin em out a little grease fire started. But MAN don’t they smell good.
  • calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    Eggcellent ! Happy Birthday to your little one !
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • Powak
    Thank you! She’s ready! Big sis already sampled some to make sure it’s good!
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Looking good @Powak  - one of my favorite things is the smell when I go outside in the morning after an all-nighter pork butt. Y’all have a great party!! 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • Powak
    Looking good @Powak  - one of my favorite things is the smell when I go outside in the morning after an all-nighter pork butt. Y’all have a great party!! 
    Oh Hellyeah! Smells like bacon cooking. Our air conditioner was sucking in the scents while we were sleeping. Made for nice hickory dreams.
  • mlc2013
    looks great and that is one of my favorite rubs for pork enjoy the day

Long Island NY    
  • Powak
    mlc2013 said:
    looks great and that is one of my favorite rubs for pork enjoy the day

Man it sure was. 
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060