Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

When a recipe calls for Red Wine

what do you all like . . . keeping in mind I'm a cheap bastid  =)
Lrg 2008
Mini 2009

Comments

• For cooking, I use the cheap stuff. 

A splash for the recipe; a splash for me. 
  • BGEChicago
    BGEChicago Posts: 574
    I posted a pot roast cook tonight that called for 1 cup of red wine, I have these in my bar just for cooks as I'm not a wine drinker....
    Image result for gallo 4 pack wine

Chicago, IL BGE XL BGE Mini Webber Charcoal / Elmhurst, IL
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    http://www.stegenwines.com/ Their 1.5 liter red is usually about $7-$9 a bottle around here. I like it as an everyday table wine. Sorry @YukonRon. I know you taught me better. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    Box wine is fine, and because the packaging doesn't expose the remainder to air, it lasts forever.  Well, almost.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I'm sort of treading likely to not offend anyone...but my SIL has been sober 19 years now. When we have them over I never mention any wine I have used in the cook - since any alcohol has already been evaporated.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    I can’t wait to see what @Jeremiah chooses for his response!! 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Sea2Ski said:
    I can’t wait to see what @Jeremiah chooses for his response!! 
    Boxed Beringer white zin
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    You guys beat me to it.  I was gonna call out the resident expert. 
  • Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    I'm mostly a Cab (Sauvignon or Franc) and Merlot drinker. When I get Pinot's or Syrah's in wine club selections they go into the cooking wine department. Lot's of the recipes I make can use an entire bottle of wine in a reduction, so I don't always drink the remainder. They are good wines, just not my favorite tipple. But they are very good for cooking.
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    Screaming Eagle Cabernet Sauvignon 1992
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Youuhooooo..... @Jeremiah
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • fishlessman
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    the 2012 has a 100 parker rating, thats why it would make a great cooking wine for recipes, you cant score higher than that =) that might be what his decision making factors were ;)
    fukahwee maine

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/02/how-to-choose-red-white-wine-for-cooking.html

My $.02- if you are not a wine drinker then I would just get something relatively inexpensive. If you are a wine drinker then get something you like, because chances are you are going to have some leftover to drink. 

I am a wine drinker, but I still might opt for a 4 pack for cooking. The reason is simple...I will finish the bottle, then feel a little "cheated" because some was wasted in the food. Then I will proceed to drink almost 2 bottles by myself and have a bad Monday. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• YukonRon
    https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/02/how-to-choose-red-white-wine-for-cooking.html

My $.02- if you are not a wine drinker then I would just get something relatively inexpensive. If you are a wine drinker then get something you like, because chances are you are going to have some leftover to drink. 

I am a wine drinker, but I still might opt for a 4 pack for cooking. The reason is simple...I will finish the bottle, then feel a little "cheated" because some was wasted in the food. Then I will proceed to drink almost 2 bottles by myself and have a bad Monday. 
    Classic. I totally get this.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    YukonRon said:

My favorite wine, is still and will always remain, the wine shared with friends.
    Brother you are one of my favorite people. I wish I could graft your soul into some of my students. 
    Someday we must meet - and share some wine and good food. I’ll let you pick the wine. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited August 2019
    YukonRon said:

Life is too short to drink śhitty wine my friends. Cook with what you like to drink.

Just like choosing the grade of meat....you buy select, don't expect prime results. Same with wine. It does make a difference.

I'm sorry but this nonsense. When cooking, a cheap $10 bottle of Yellow Tail is perfectly fine.  Guess what type of wine those 3 star Michelin joints are using in that $60 plate of braised short ribs? It sure aren't a nice CdP... it's the cheapest yet still drinkable red they can get away with. It doesn't not make a difference.
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    I use an "everyday" wine for cooking. I wouldn't cook with a wine that I was unwilling to drink. 
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • Not a wine drinker, more of a cheap Canadian whiskey type  =)
    Picked up a box of Bandit cabernet sauvignon today for $10

Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • Any Coppola red, they’re all good and relatively cheap. However my love of The Godfather may bias my pick.
    LBGE, 36" Blackstone, Anova Pro
    Charleston, SC
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    edited August 2019
    RRP said:
    I'm sort of treading likely to not offend anyone...but my SIL has been sober 19 years now. When we have them over I never mention any wine I have used in the cook - since any alcohol has already been evaporated.
    Ron, with regard to your SIL and her sobriety, you might want to read the article in the link below:

https://www.finedininglovers.com/article/food-mythbusters-does-alcohol-cook-out

LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• YukonRon
    SciAggie said:
    YukonRon said:

My favorite wine, is still and will always remain, the wine shared with friends.
    Brother you are one of my favorite people. I wish I could graft your soul into some of my students. 
    Someday we must meet - and share some wine and good food. I’ll let you pick the wine. 
    We will my friend. That I promise.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    SonVolt said
    I'm sorry but this nonsense. When cooking, a cheap $10 bottle of Yellow Tail is perfectly fine.  Guess what type of wine those 3 star Michelin joints are using in that $60 plate of braised short ribs? It sure aren't a nice CdP... it's the cheapest yet still drinkable red they can get away with. It doesn't not make a difference.
    LOL - that reminds me of a black tie $200 a plate affair my boss invited us to attend about 40 years ago. The food was the $200 part but cocktail hour was $10 per drink! Then after 2 cocktails we sat down for the meal our boss sprung for 2 bottles of wine at $30 per bottle for our table of 8. As the waiter filled our glasses I noticed there was a price tag on the bottom of the bottle from a local grocery store named Ben Swartz...the price for each of those $30 bottles? $2.98.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • YukonRon
    SonVolt said:
    YukonRon said:

Life is too short to drink śhitty wine my friends. Cook with what you like to drink.

Just like choosing the grade of meat....you buy select, don't expect prime results. Same with wine. It does make a difference.

Whatever you say chef. Obviously you are the expert in cooking with wine. I know what I like, and I use it when I cook. 

It is not yellowtail.

No apologies necessary. I am full of nonsense and other stuff.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited August 2019
    YukonRon said:
    SonVolt said:
    YukonRon said:

Whatever you say chef. Obviously you are the expert in cooking with wine. I know what I like, and I use it when I cook. 

It is not yellowtail.

No apologies necessary. I am full of nonsense and other stuff.

I'm glad you know what you like, I just wanted to ensure others were aware this advice was tantamount to using a 25 year Bourbon in a Jack 'n Coke. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • YukonRon
    Not an balanced equation, but, ok. I understand your statement..

There is a difference between what is commonly referred to as cheap wine and inexpensive bargain wines. When you find them,  you buy them, and we do.

(We have used cheap wine to eradicate fruit flies. It works. PM me if you ever have that problem, we got a hack that works.)

Typically any wine I open, we finish. If I use a cup or more in the process of cooking, no biggie. The rest is not wasted. We drink it.

I buy certain wines by the case, so it really is not a big deal for us to use a cup or two. But I get the point, if you are not into wine, then do not lay down some Benjamines for cooking a pot roast. We do not do that either, as we love finding highly rated wines often for less than you pay for those which seldom crack the mid 80s in ranking.

The picture below of the case with a 93 on it....which was the rating, was $8.00 a bottle. Slightly better and less expensive than yellowtail or the equivalent, at least around here.

Italian wines are excellent to cook with, and awesome to drink. You can get killer vintages in the $10.00 to $15.00 dollar range currently.

Trust me (or not), there is a different taste profile.

Every thing I read said bad wine when cooked only accentuates the negatives, and every chef I have met or read their books, had one thing in common; If you won't drink it, never cook with it. I tend to agree with them. I have tried it. I agree.

That is what we do. We cook with what we drink.

That image is the corks we gave to a wine shop so they could use it for their decor. That was not all of them. That was about 24 months worth. (We had two more wine cases filled, not in the picture, but of the same time span).

Yeah, I have a problem. Admitting it is the first step to recovery.

Either way, it will not go to waste. We drink a lot of wine, cook with a lot of wine, and have done so for years (I am a wino).

I was just trying to pass on some experience, but we are fortunate to have experts on this forum to get you going in the right direction.

My friend @SonVolt will steer you straight.

Better days my friends, keep cooking.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky