Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Perfectly prepared Tri-Tip roast...👅

A Tri-Tip is attached to the sirloin cut of beef on the cow. So it is a tougher cut of meat than a filet mignon steak, a Ribeye steak or a New York strip steak. The great part of those facts is that the 3 to 3.5 pound roast is considerably less expensive than those cuts of beef. I bought this trimmed Tri-Tip for $2.99 per pound.👍

I live in California where this cut of meat is readily available in every store that offers beef to the public. Every cow has 2 Tri-tips regardless of where they are raised, or butchered. Ask your butcher to cut it for you... it’s listed on a butchers guide to proper beef butchering. Many butchers actually cheat and sell it as sirloin steak instead of Tri-tip because they can charge more money per pound. 

Like i said... the Tri-tip is a tougher cut of meat than the popular more expensive cuts of beef so I’ve figured out how to cook it so it is as tender as a filet mignon steak and equally as tasty as a ribeye steak.👅

To make this tough cut of meat as tender as a filet mignon... I cook it Sous Vide at 132°F for 15 hours. Yes... 15 hours!  You only need to cook it Sous Vide for  2 to 4 hours to get the interior temperature to 132°, but you still will have a tough cut of meat to eat. However... the additional cooking time is what tenderizes the meat to tenderloin tenderness. If you cook it over the 15 hours at 132°... your meat will become over done and be way to mushy to eat. 

After I Remove the roast from the Sous Vide hot tub and take it out of the vacuum packed bag I blot it dry with paper towels, so the water won’t steam when I sear it. Then I coat the meat with avocado oil, which has a 550°F burn temperature, then I put my Santa Maria style Tri-tip rub on the roast before searing it on my charcoal starter... at about 800°F. The absolute best searing method in the BBQ world.🤗

This gives me perfectly cooked 135°F medium rare steak that is very tender and very tasty. I like to sprinkle it with blue cheese to add a little fat and flavor too.🤔  I like Caesar salad and mushrooms with it also.👍

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,706
    Nice Cook @HogHeaven what part of .ca? Central Valley here 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    Looks great!

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• HogHeaven
    HogHeaven Posts: 326
    lkapigian said:
    Hermosa Beach...👍.  I once lived in Shafter.😬 
  • HogHeaven
    shtgunal3 said:
    Looks great!
    Thanks.... I used to cook my Tri-Tip using the reverse sear method until I got a Sous vide circulatory. This method gives me a more tender finished product. 

Plus SV cooking is set it and forget it cooking at its best. I let my Tri-tips cook in the hot tub while I sleep overnight.👍
  • Thanks for the post . . . gave me a good idea for my trip-tip
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • Very nice! I cooked a tri tip sous vide last weekend. 10 hours at 140d, then finished on the Egg. I’m not sure I’ll ever do a tri tip any other way. 
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    It looks awesome. If you'll permit me to press you just a little bit, though,  I would have thought that 15 hours might change the texture a little too much.  I've had that happen with sirloin steaks before but they were admittedly much thinner.  So, while tender, you're happy with the texture, as well?  Not at all mushy?  Again, it looks fantastic.
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    HogHeaven said:
    lkapigian said:
    Hermosa Beach...👍.  I once lived in Shafter.😬 
    I'm in the other   H.B. in SoCal 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,545
    Nice looking plate.. Also love Tri-Tip
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • HogHeaven
    Very nice! I cooked a tri tip sous vide last weekend. 10 hours at 140d, then finished on the Egg. I’m not sure I’ll ever do a tri tip any other way. 
    When I first started trying to cook Tri-Tips SV style I bought 6 Tri-Tips to use as experiments. I had read that you can over cook meat in your hot tub by leaving it in the tub too long. That got me to thinking that if I left a Tri-Tip in the water long enough I can actually make it as tender as a center cut filet mignon.🤗

My first experiment was to leave the Tri-tip in the 130°F water for 24 hours. That turned out to be too long and I ended up with undesirable meat that was to mushy to enjoy. 

My next experiment was at the same temperature for 12 hours... it turned out very good but it wasn’t quite as tender as the filet mignon that I had had the night before. 

My next experiment was 130°F for 15 hours... that nailed it for tenderness!  

I find by adding either a burnaise sauce or some blue cheese you get the fat content up and add flavor...👍

I was on the Keto Diet for 13 months and lost 100 pounds eating this meal daily...👅
  • HogHeaven
    mahenryak said:
    It looks awesome. If you'll permit me to press you just a little bit, though,  I would have thought that 15 hours might change the texture a little too much.  I've had that happen with sirloin steaks before but they were admittedly much thinner.  So, while tender, you're happy with the texture, as well?  Not at all mushy?  Again, it looks fantastic.
    For me... 130°F for 15 hours is the absolute sweet spot for tenderloin tenderness. 

I’ve over cooked it at that temperature (24 hours) and ended up with mushy meat that’s not enjoyable to eat. 

If you only cook them in the 130°F water for 2 to 4 hours to get the internal temperature to 130°... you end up with meat that tastes fine but it’s as tough as Tri-tip is expected to be... compared to filet mignon, ribeye or New York strip steak. 

• mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    HogHeaven said:

For me... 130°F for 15 hours is the absolute sweet spot for tenderloin tenderness. 

I’ve over cooked it at that temperature (24 hours) and ended up with mushy meat that’s not enjoyable to eat. 

If you only cook them in the 130°F water for 2 to 4 hours to get the internal temperature to 130°... you end up with meat that tastes fine but it’s as tough as Tri-tip is expected to be... compared to filet mignon, ribeye or New York strip steak. 

That's good enough for me, then.  I think I'll have to give this a try next time.  Thank you.
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• HogHeaven
    edited August 2019
    mahenryak said:
    HogHeaven said:

That's good enough for me, then.  I think I'll have to give this a try next time.  Thank you.
    130°F is the minimum cooking temperature for meat safety. If you go below that temperature bacteria can survive inside the SV vacuum packed bag. 

I dry brine my Tri-Tip with just salt in the refrigerator... usually overnight before putting it in the vacuum packed SV bag. Then I apply the Santa Maria Type rub after it come out of the SV bag... right before I sear it. 

After the 15 hours of cooking in the bag... take the meat out and blot ALL of the moisture off of the surface of the meat, so you don’t get any steam. Cover it with a light coat of avocado oil... so your rub will stick to the meat, and so you can sear it hot, hot, hot. Avocado oil can withstand much hotter heat than olive oil or canola oil. 

I sear my Tri-Tips outdoors because searing at 800°F is not possible in my kitchen... plus there would be so much smoke the fire alarm would go off.😬

At that high searing temperature I use a long handle meat hook to rotate my meat every 30 seconds so I get a dark mahogany brown crust, not a black crust. Cook to color when searing. 

If you like your meat over 130°F, the lower range of medium rare, then turn you SV temperature up nearer to your desired doneness. My son prefers his meat nearer to the top of the medium rare range, 140°F. So I cook his Tri-Tip in a separate hot tub with another circulator. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,660
    was looking at a roast this last weekend, just shy of 30 bucks here. i do love them though. never tried them sousvide, maybe next weekend
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • HogHeaven
    edited August 2019
    was looking at a roast this last weekend, just shy of 30 bucks here. i do love them though. never tried them sousvide, maybe next weekend
    $30...? Do they give you a hug and a kiss too?🙀

The everyday price per pound here in Hermosa Beach, California is $5.99. The average TT is 3 to 3.5 pounds. I frequently see them advertised at $3.99 or $4.99 per pound. Last week I saw Choice grade trimmed Tri-Tips, meaning they trimmed off a thick layer of fat that is attached to them right out of the carcass, for $2.99 per pound. I bought everything they had available at that prices... 16 Tri-Tips👍
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Thank you for posting and I must try this.

I generally use a Mediterranean marinade indirect at 375⁰F smoked with pecan until an IT of 135⁰F, tent wrap and let stand for 10-15 mins.

Delicious every time.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    HogHeaven said:
    I had read that you can over cook meat in your hot tub by leaving it in the tub too long.
    Truer words have never been written.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    In all seriousness, I plan to SV a Tri-Tip this coming weekend.
    Thanks for the info.
  • HogHeaven
    GregW said:
    In all seriousness, I plan to SV a Tri-Tip this coming weekend.
    Thanks for the info.
    👍... friends helping friends.
  • HogHeaven
    GregW said:
    HogHeaven said:
    I had read that you can over cook meat in your hot tub by leaving it in the tub too long.
    Truer words have never been written.
    That sentence is what caused me to buy 6 Tri-Tips and initiate my experiment... to figure out how to tenderize this normal tough cut of meat to filet mignon tenderness.👍
  • fishlessman
    HogHeaven said:

The everyday price per pound here in Hermosa Beach, California is $5.99. The average TT is 3 to 3.5 pounds. I frequently see them advertised at $3.99 or $4.99 per pound. Last week I saw Choice grade trimmed Tri-Tips, meaning they trimmed off a thick layer of fat that is attached to them right out of the carcass, for $2.99 per pound. I bought everything they had available at that prices... 16 Tri-Tips👍
    mostly they cant be found and when you do its been hacked into 1/2 inch steaks and its still 7 to 8 bucks a pound.  its a bargain out your way
    fukahwee maine

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Gawjus outcome. One of my favorites.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • HogHeaven
    HogHeaven said:

mostly they cant be found and when you do its been hacked into 1/2 inch steaks and its still 7 to 8 bucks a pound.  its a bargain out your way
    If you have a Costco or Sam’s Club in your area... they both carry a pre-seasoned cryovac packaged Tri-Tip on the meat display shelves. They probably don’t sell to fast because most people in the eastern US haven’t heard of Tri-Tips before.
  • fishlessman
    HogHeaven said:
    HogHeaven said:

If you have a Costco or Sam’s Club in your area... they both carry a pre-seasoned cryovac packaged Tri-Tip on the meat display shelves. They probably don’t sell to fast because most people in the eastern US haven’t heard of Tri-Tips before.
    dont have either within a reasonable drive,  our market basket is entrenched in the area. theres atleast 7 within 10 minutes of me and they buy it already steaked. mostly small butchers carry it here and even not half will carry it
    fukahwee maine

• HogHeaven
    HogHeaven said:
    HogHeaven said:

dont have either within a reasonable drive,  our market basket is entrenched in the area. theres atleast 7 within 10 minutes of me and they buy it already steaked. mostly small butchers carry it here and even not half will carry it
    Ask your butcher about this cut of meat... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picanha

its very similar but it has a nice fat cap... that is left on while you gril it.👅
  • Moleman
    Moleman Posts: 372
    This looks great. Question though. If avocado oil has a 550 degree burn temperature how does it not burn at 800 plus?  As a side note creekstone farms just listed a sale on tri tips. Ordered 9 here. Thanks for your time. 
  • HogHeaven
    Moleman said:
    This looks great. Question though. If avocado oil has a 550 degree burn temperature how does it not burn at 800 plus?  As a side note creekstone farms just listed a sale on tri tips. Ordered 9 here. Thanks for your time. 
    Well actually it will burn/smoke at 800°F. Your stove indoors won’t get much hotter than 550° though. So whenever I sear meat I use either rendered fat from the cow or a pig or avocado oil. 

Enjoy your Tri-Tips...👍
  • Moleman
    Moleman Posts: 372
    Just curious and trying to learn as I go just curious and trying to learn as I go. Yours looks fantastic and will try it in the next few weeks. Thanks for the response. 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    The food looks good but tri tip is not a tough piece of meat. I have done many both ways sous Vide and just cooked like a steak and I never sous Vide them anymore.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Just ordered 6 myself.  Maybe some experiments are in order.