Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is it treason, adultery or both? Something arrived today

Options
In the name of science I’ve set out to test the hyperbolic insert that’s been discussed since it was announced, hopefully without being banished for life  B)

just arrived and setup, doing a mild burn in now

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,949
    Options
    The way you have them lined up, it looks like your Large BGE raped the medium, and out popped the red baby.  So I think it’s incest.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Nice - Looks like Christmas time year round on your patio!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • BugFreak72
    BugFreak72 Posts: 246
    edited August 2019
    Options
    The middle is a max I think so wouldn't it be the Egg raped the Joe to create the max?

I like the red. Because of all the rain in FL I can't say that storage rack on the bottom would do much good for me but grats on the new grill regardless.

Is the cap like a fancy smokeware cap that turns?
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    I like the red. Because of all the rain in FL I can't say that storage rack on the bottom would do much good for me but grats on the new grill regardless.

Is the cap like a fancy smokeware cap that turns?
    Yes it’s kind of like a daisy wheel and smokeware cap all in one 
  • BugFreak72
    BugFreak72 Posts: 246
    Options
    With a built in rain cap like the new Egg caps. I like it.
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    With a built in rain cap like the new Egg caps. I like it.
    Ya it’s got features found on the reEGGulstor, daisy wheel and the SS cap. 

Just did a gentle burn in. Can’t wait to try some real cooks and see how it does 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,343
    Options
    Another toy for the arsenal.  Enjoy it. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • unoriginalusername
    Options

Have done a tomahawk and Ribs so far. Early impressions is the SloRoller is a better platesetter for even heat. Haven’t don’t a brisket or anything really large yet 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    The way you have them lined up, it looks like your Large BGE raped the medium, and out popped the red baby.  So I think it’s incest.  
    Is the mailman a redhead?

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• unoriginalusername
    Options
    Acn said:
    Is the mailman a redhead?
    Curtains or blinds?
  • GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,272
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Looks like you swing either way. I’d put it at bi-kamadius.
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    lol  :o 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Congrats!  (Spoken in a very sarcastic tone)
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    No offense but it was funnier before you edited it. Bravo sir. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    edited August 2019
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Congrats!  (Spoken in a very sarcastic tone)
    I gotta say, those KJs aren’t bad. I love the egg, but the innovation is lacking. I looked at a Joe pretty thoroughly on my last Rockwood buying spree and it’s got a lot of nice features and seems to be pretty well thought out from a feature and a warranty replacement perspective. The one I looked at was a bigger Joe they just came out with that was $2k. From a business perspective, the lack of any real fundamental upgrades to the egg doesn’t compel someone to upgrade to a new model. Customers just hang on their egg and ride the lifetime warranty. That’s not good for revenue growth. KJ is giving existing owners a real upgrade from their older models and as everyone knows, that’s good for the bottom line. 

I’m not a shill for KJ as many of you know. I’ve been quite the skeptic and I still hate the red. I give credit where credit is due; they make a nice kamado these days. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Do not exceed 500 degrees? Do not pass go, do not collect 200 dollars after making pizza.
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    Do not exceed 500 degrees? Do not pass go, do not collect 200 dollars after making pizza.
    Only on the SloRoller... you get two half moons for higher heat diffusers to cook at whatever temp you want. 

Did ribs today, the ends that don’t get protected by the platesetter weren’t burnt at all using it so I see the merits of having both options 
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    I haven’t been kicked out yet!!! As long as you’ve got a green machine it’s no biggie.  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,420
    Options
    We bought a KJ for my cousin (who is basically a brother) for his wedding gift. I assembled, and was very impressed. New style. Assisted lid lift is nice, all of the accessories that come with it are nice. Can’t hate on it, it makes good BBQ 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    No offense but it was funnier before you edited it. Bravo sir. 
    Lol. I wasn’t entirely happy with either iteration. Decisions, decisions. 🙂
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    I don’t really care what you cook on. I dig looking at the pics of food 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    Eventually I will upgrade from my medium to a large . Right now KJ has an edge but I am probably a couple of years away and BGE could innovate and still keep my business.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Hey any idea why I can't hover over "disagree"  or "flag" and see who tagged the posts as such?  It works for Like and agree but no the others???
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    I added another red one a few weeks ago, now the KJ jr has a red friend.  Mine is used, but I don't think it should matter.  The reds are just as good as the greens.  Enjoy that new cooker of yours, it looks really nice.

• GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    I do like the idea of no hot spots or open flames with the sloroller compared to the platesetter or cgs stone. 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Only on the SloRoller... you get two half moons for higher heat diffusers to cook at whatever temp you want. 

Did ribs today, the ends that don’t get protected by the platesetter weren’t burnt at all using it so I see the merits of having both options 
    I kid, I kid. I personally have a CGS rig. No burning here either and I don’t even cook pizza on the egg anymore.  ;)
  • Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    Options
    From a business perspective, the lack of any real fundamental upgrades to the egg doesn’t compel someone to upgrade to a new model. Customers just hang on their egg and ride the lifetime warranty. That’s not good for revenue growth. KJ is giving existing owners a real upgrade from their older models and as everyone knows, that’s good for the bottom line. 
    I partially agree with you. My Egg is less than four years old, but there seem to be a lot of people here on the forum with much older Eggs. These people seem to still be turning out great food. What exactly does a KJ have that would make the results better? 

I know people like to have the latest and greatest whatever. I keep upgrading my phones, but not until the new features are worth something to me. My Egg is working perfectly, and I don't have any reason to get something new.

I do agree with the part about a company's bottom line. A company either has to get new customers or get existing customers to purchase a new product. I just don't know what features could make me want to replace my Egg. Maybe buy a second down the line, but the features on the current Egg suit me just fine. 
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,528
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Hey any idea why I can't hover over "disagree"  or "flag" and see who tagged the posts as such?  It works for Like and agree but no the others???
    anonymity 
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    I just ordered one too. I just couldn't bring myself to buy an egg when the KJ has an easier to deal with warranty, all the accessories, and better overall design.  Right now it's just a way better value.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum