Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Making charcoal

Options
So who makes their own? It seems like an easy process and you can get some much bigger pieces. Other than time and a little work would you have any advice?

Comments

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,687
    Options
    The main reason you'll get much bigger pieces is because you wont hit the temperatures necessary to get it to the proper carbonization......it's wood fiber holding those bigger chunks together.  Not saying it can't be done, but there's really no advantage even if you could.
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    I love making and doing things myself. But making charcoal? To me it is something not worth undertaking for an end product that will be no better than what can be bought at a reasonable (bargain) price for the effort involved.

But if you go for it, post your adventure! 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • WildmanWilson
    Options
    The main reason you'll get much bigger pieces is because you wont hit the temperatures necessary to get it to the proper carbonization......it's wood fiber holding those bigger chunks together.  Not saying it can't be done, but there's really no advantage even if you could.
    No the reason you get bigger pieces is because you don’t buy a bag that has been beat into crumbs. I’m just talking about getting chunks the size of you fist or so. YouTube has some videos on it and I’m surprised at least a few people on here hasn’t done it. 
  • Gym
    Gym Posts: 366
    Options
    I make my own. I made this contraption a couple years ago. Fire in the bottom and wood to become coal in the top. Keep the fire rippin' eventually the gasses off the wood up top take over and feed the fire. Takes about 4ish hours. 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,779
    Options
    Very cool for sure!! 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,359
    edited July 2019
    Options

Check over on the bbqgrethren.com forum - I know I've seen a few threads where people have made their own.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,630
    Options
    No the reason you get bigger pieces is because you don’t buy a bag that has been beat into crumbs. I’m just talking about getting chunks the size of you fist or so. YouTube has some videos on it and I’m surprised at least a few people on here hasn’t done it. 
    I hasn’t done it.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,687
    Options
    Not trying to talk you out of it, but just remember its about a 5:1 or 6:1 ratio of wood to charcoal in weight.  So figure at least 100# of seasoned hardwood to make 20# before what you lose to fines.  That will be higher with green wood, plus whatever you use to fire the kiln.  It's not a very efficient process on the small scale.

It was kind of like the time I heated my house for a month using my wood stove insert.  I live on acreage, so all the wood was "free".  But at the end of the month I was shocked to see my power bill was only about $40 less for all that work.  I have geothermal, so it was already cheap.....but since I wasnt running it, the water heater used a bunch of power.  Plus the humidifier, circulation fans, etc.  If I take out what I spend in saw chains and other crap, it was a wash.
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,685
    Options
    Nice rig @Gym
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• EagleIII
    EagleIII Posts: 415
    Options
    When you figure the workload involved, plus the cost/effort to build the kiln, which is admittedly a non-recurring cost, then the wood you consume to turn more wood into charcoal....not worth it from my tiny perspective.
    But as others have said, if it makes you happy - go for it and please post the pics!
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Intriguing process. Here's a fun way to look at it. And this works for anybody unless you are retired. How much will it cost to build or create a kiln that can reach high enough temps to carbonize wood? Do you have waste wood available and how long is it sustainable? How much do you make an hour at your normal job? Are your neighbors tolerant of air pollution? And yes there is a huge difference between smoking a brisket or pork butt and making lump charcoal.

Quick answer for me I have no desire to do this. The cost Effectiveness is not there not to mention I buy Rockwood and at a good price. I see no benefit I'm doing it myself. But, like others have said do it if it makes you happy. Document your journey so others can see. Cheers
    Completely concur with all of this.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• speed51133
    speed51133 Posts: 691
    Options
    Lump is too cheap to make yourself. I've made some for fun, just to do it, but I concluded it was not worth the time, energy, or hassle. 
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    Intriguing process. Here's a fun way to look at it. And this works for anybody unless you are retired. How much will it cost to build or create a kiln that can reach high enough temps to carbonize wood? Do you have waste wood available and how long is it sustainable? How much do you make an hour at your normal job? Are your neighbors tolerant of air pollution? And yes there is a huge difference between smoking a brisket or pork butt and making lump charcoal.

Quick answer for me I have no desire to do this. The cost Effectiveness is not there not to mention I buy Rockwood and at a good price. I see no benefit I'm doing it myself. But, like others have said do it if it makes you happy. Document your journey so others can see. Cheers
    Why doesn't it work if I'm retired? (I am.)
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    This is as close as I get:
    When I close the door on my wood oven I usually still have a large bed of coals. They turn into decent pieces of charcoal in the low oxygen environment after I close the door. The next time I clean my oven I sift the “cleanout” and save the pieces of charcoal. I use these under my Tuscan grill in my hearth. That’s as far as I go. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SandyHookEgger
    Options
    Call it “Craft” Lump and it will be received more favorably.
  • speed51133
    Options
    you can also buy lump and burn in IN your egg to make more lump also IN the egg!! It's like a perpetual motion machine!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,806
    Options
    i have some old inco cylinders in the back yard that could hold a cord, could someone gift me 20 cord =) please, only maple. easy process, the neighbors will hate you
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    you can also buy lump and burn in IN your egg to make more lump also IN the egg!! It's like a perpetual motion machine!

Little Rock, AR

• Markarm4119
    Markarm4119 Posts: 526
    Options
    Go for it , call it "Artisan Hand crafted lump " and there will be someone who would buy it,. Just state every batch has a "unique flavor profile" Like all craft beers everyone raves about..
    $50 bucks a bag or 3 for $100 !
    Use enough adjectives to describe your product and people will love it !
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • WildmanWilson
    Options
    My main reason to do it was to get more pieces that are good size. I hate buying a bag and half is crumbs. I’ve seen people use metal drums successfully. Pretty low tech. I live next to a 50 acre woods with a ton of wood to burn so that’s not an issue. I know the work involved may be more than some want but Ive never been afraid of a little work plus I enjoy doing things that are DIY.... I’ve made most of my turkey calls because it’s enjoyable to do. Not sure about the cost effectiveness of it..

I doubt I turn it into a business but I’m intrigue non the less. 
  • speed51133
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I'm sorry, I missed the part where there was doom and gloom or death prophecies in relation to DIY lump. All the comments were simply that it's not time or cost effective. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I'm sorry, I missed the part where there was doom and gloom or death prophecies in relation to DIY lump. All the comments were simply that it's not time or cost effective. 
    My post was intended to be part hyperbole, part humor, and part tongue and cheek mocking the millennial "can't do - too hard" ethos they are, right or wrong, known for.  If that's what you're referring to.
    Options
    If we simply used the metric of "is it time or cost effective" I think a lot of our leisure time activities and hobbies would just dissappear.

Sometimes the reward of doing a thing is in just doing the thing.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• speed51133
    Options
    If i could go out to a steakhouse and get a quality cut that tasted great for less than the cost of buying/making it myself, I would. I guess that's just me. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    If i could go out to a steakhouse and get a quality cut that tasted great for less than the cost of buying/making it myself, I would. I guess that's just me. 
    Based on those metrics, I'm surprised you're not an Akorn owner.