Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza peel recommendations?

Options
Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200
Anybody got any recomendations? What do I need to look for and what do I need to avoid? I know I want a wooden one for launching pies, but what size? And do wood types matter? I've always just used parchment paper, but want to "up" my game.  Thanks in advance.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    raw wood, no finishes on it. the raw wood will hold more flour on it and over time the cuts and dings seem to keep pies from sticking
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,340
    Options
    I use aluminum to both launch and turn pies.
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    Most of the pros that I've seen use GI Metals brand. They are on Amazon for around $75 each. But those are mainly for wood fired ovens. To launch pies on an egg I think any decent uncoated wood peel is fine and use Semolina under the dough.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,113
    Options
    I used to manage a mall and when the Pizza place closed (before the next pizza place) I found (2) peels in the empty space.  I have had one of them for better part of 20 years now and its invincible and works perfectly.

I found this on Amazon that is very similar 
    https://www.amazon.com/American-Metalcraft-MP1424-Pressed-Handle/dp/B003IDHQDA

XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    i believe mine is alder wood, its pretty light, doesnt damage knife blades as its not the hardest wood. i dont think i would want a heavier wood like maple or oak,  its easier to get things sliding with a quick jerk of the wrist on a lighter board. they say to season the board with mineral spirits, ive never done that
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited July 2019
    Options
    13 1/2 wide x 15" (24" with handle). Maybe 3/8" thick. Bought two of them in 1996 and that's all I've ever used. Pine, I think... some soft wood for sure. Started with a Weber kettle, now a large egg and kitchen oven. I did buy an 8" round aluminum peel a few years ago for turning. All cheap enough, just pick one. If you don't like it, buy another.

I started using cornmeal on the peel. Then I discovered semolina. Now I just use flour. Don't like parchment.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    wood to launch, metal to remove.  I really like my wood one which you can see HERE.  For the launch, I lightly rub flour on wood peel (get in grains but shake it all off after as it burns and tastes bad) then cover with Semolina on peel.  The KEY is the Semolina on the peel before your dough hits wood . .  it acts like mini ball bearings.  Never have an issue launching even with high hydrated wet dough.

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Wpilon
    Wpilon Posts: 42
    Options
    Another wood to launch, metal to recover dude here.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    Options
    +n on launching with wood and turning/retrieving with metal.
    Metal launch doesn't work well in winter when we prep pie in kitchen due to condensation on metal peel when brought indoor; the wet peel (even after wiping) sticks royally  :o  
    canuckland
  • BeerMike
    BeerMike Posts: 317
    Options
    I use the Super Peel.  I absolutely love it.  It’s so easy to “slide” the pizza from the counter and onto the BGE pizza stone.  People who watch me use this peel are always amazed.  

https://www.amazon.com/EXO-Non-Stick-Polymer-Sealed-Super/dp/B00NGOOM6K/ref=sr_1_34?keywords=Pizza+peel&qid=1563313131&s=gateway&sr=8-34

Below is a link to a review where you can see how easy it is to use.  
    https://youtu.be/RmmonMHUAug

There are a few videos on the superpeel website as well. 
    https://superpeel.com/videos/
    I think it's time for another beer!
    BGEing since 2003
    2 Large BGEs 
    Sold small BGE, 3rd and 4th large BGEs and XL BGE (at wife's "request"....sad face)
    Living the dream in Wisconsin
  • Kitarkus
    Kitarkus Posts: 181
    Options
    +1 for the Super Peel. I've used it for years for many different types of cooks. 
  • marysvilleksegghead
    Options
    seen a guy @ an OKC eggfest drop his wood peel and it broke in 1/2  :s
    I don't use a peel, just a very low profile metal pizza pan that I build my pizza on top of parchment paper and corn meal.  Easy to slide pizza on the low profile pan
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    I use aluminum to both launch and turn pies.
    Same here. But I use it more to pull roasts off the egg. It has seen tons of pizza, but as of late it has removed a SL of pork butts, brisket and prime rib.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    seen a guy @ an OKC eggfest drop his wood peel and it broke in 1/2  :s
    I don't use a peel, just a very low profile metal pizza pan that I build my pizza on top of parchment paper and corn meal.  Easy to slide pizza on the low profile pan

I do the same thing, except instead of a pizza pan, I use a rectangular non-rimmed air-bake sheet.  The air-bake works well because it's much stiffer than a non-rimmed standard baking sheet.  I also use parchment and just slide the parchment from sheet to stone to sheet.
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    The Roccbox pizza peel is really good.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Eoin said:
    The Roccbox pizza peel is really good.
    I concur.  It was really my first experience with the a high tech peel (perforated, corrugated). 

And I'm the guy that built the super-peel.  Sadly (or not) putting a pie in the roccbox with that cotton conveyor belt would spell instant immolation. 

I've been looking at the Mi.peel peels.  Confucius tells me to use what the pros use and it is that perforated design. 
    Options
    Time seems right for someone to MacGyver a thin and sturdy peel with soft wood on one side and aluminum on the other.  Amirite?   I've got a surplus in the inspiration department and a deficit in the inspiration department.  Feel free to take this genus idea and make 100's on it!
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    *perspiration
    Options
    Time seems right for someone to MacGyver a thin and sturdy peel with soft wood on one side and aluminum on the other.  Amirite?   I've got a surplus in the inspiration department and a deficit in the inspiration department.  Feel free to take this genus idea and make 100's on it!
    Just coat an aluminum peel with LiquiGlide and the pie will practically jump off the peel - https://liquiglide.com/

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• BBBQ
    BBBQ Posts: 39
    Options
    Super Peel is idiot (me) proof. Just stupid easy, no practice required. As for a pizza slicer, can’t beat the BGE half moon blade. 
  • BBBQ
    BBBQ Posts: 39
    Options
    This thread also got me to thinking, anyone use a pizza steel in their egg vs the ceramic? I’ve got one I used in my oven and it’s great. Haven’t tried it in the egg though. Might be the weekend project after I finally install the Rutland gasket from @RRP
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    BBBQ said:
    This thread also got me to thinking, anyone use a pizza steel in their egg vs the ceramic? I’ve got one I used in my oven and it’s great. Haven’t tried it in the egg though. Might be the weekend project after I finally install the Rutland gasket from @RRP
    I have the pizza steel on my large. In addition to pizzas it's great for searing and for smashburgers. Highly recommended.
    Mountain View, CA
  • Hank_Stamper
    Options
    I use two simple wooden peels, which then double as cutting boards / serving platters after the pizza is cooked.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    Options
    Time seems right for someone to MacGyver a thin and sturdy peel with soft wood on one side and aluminum on the other.  Amirite?   I've got a surplus in the inspiration department and a deficit in the inspiration department.  Feel free to take this idea and make 100's on it!
    Needs to be super thin to slide under potentially still doughy/sticky bottom for turning, how about gluing wood veneer on aluminum peel?
    canuckland