Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meatloaf - Nice Try

Options
WJunebug
WJunebug Posts: 18
Used my meatloaf oven recipe for the BGE.  Need to make some changes for next time.  A little too much liquid but it was actually very tasty.  Served with grilled potatoes and green beans.

Plano, TX - L BGE

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,759
    Options
    Looks like a winner!.....
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • scdaf
    scdaf Posts: 176
    Options
    ^^^ This.  I don't even use a pan to shape, just form a loaf on the counter and then cook on a Frogmat.
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    Nice work! Meatloaf is one of my favorites on the Egg. As above just put the loaf on the grid for more smoke.
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    I'll take a plate of that banquet right now.  Great cook.  Congrats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Looks great -- I love meatloaf on the Egg!
  • Bayou_Buzzard
    Options
    One of my favorite cooks.  Well done. Agree with cooking without the pan. 

From the shores of Lake Michigan.  Grand Haven.
    Unsalted and Shark Free
    XL.  Woo Adjustable Rig Combo.  Flame Boss 300.
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    That looks amazing. I wish my wife and daughter liked meatloaf so I could make more often. 
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • Woadie
    Woadie Posts: 154
    Options
    This is a dumb question but if you cook it without the pan, how do you get it off without it falling to pieces? 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,610
    Options
    Woadie said:
    This is a dumb question but if you cook it without the pan, how do you get it off without it falling to pieces? 
    You get a nice crust or bark.  As long as it’s not so moist that it’s falling apart from the inside, it holds fine.
  • Chief9
    Chief9 Posts: 141
    Options
    I use a basket which works well
    Carrollton, Va
  • OshawaDave
    OshawaDave Posts: 198
    Options

I had the same issue with too much liquid. I bought a loaf pan, drilled 8 - 1/4" holes in the bottom of the pan to let juices drip out. It works really well. I put a drip pan underneath the meatloaf when cooking to catch the drippings.

Weber Genesis CP310; Weber Q1200 (camping); LBGE.

"If you haven't heard a rumour by 8:30 am - start one"

• WJunebug
    WJunebug Posts: 18
    Options
    Shape the loaf in the pan, but don’t cook it in the pan. You get much more smoky flavor that way. At least that’s how I do it. 
    I shaped the loaf in a pan and put it in the frig for an hour, then cooked it on a small jelly roll-type pan with holes in the bottom and a drip pan underneath.  I think my loaf was just a little too moist as it didn’t hold together well. 
    Plano, TX - L BGE
  • Woadie
    Woadie Posts: 154
    Options
    Legume said:
    Woadie said:
    You get a nice crust or bark.  As long as it’s not so moist that it’s falling apart from the inside, it holds fine.
    Ok that makes sense. 
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Looks real good !!  I might try a meatloaf on the egg this week, got tons of ground frozen beef but not sure if most use pork etc?  I have never done BGE meatloaf before - anyone have a great recipe?
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is”