Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Meatloaf - Nice Try

WJunebugWJunebug Posts: 17
Used my meatloaf oven recipe for the BGE.  Need to make some changes for next time.  A little too much liquid but it was actually very tasty.  Served with grilled potatoes and green beans.

Plano, TX - L BGE

Comments

• lkapigianlkapigian Posts: 5,097
    Looks like a winner!.....
    Visalia, Ca
  • scdafscdaf Posts: 84
    ^^^ This.  I don't even use a pan to shape, just form a loaf on the counter and then cook on a Frogmat.
  • MeTedMeTed Posts: 788
    Nice work! Meatloaf is one of my favorites on the Egg. As above just put the loaf on the grid for more smoke.
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 19,669
    I'll take a plate of that banquet right now.  Great cook.  Congrats.
    Louisville;  L & S BGEs, PBC, Lang 36; Burnin' wood in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer.  
  • TheophanTheophan Posts: 2,536
    Looks great -- I love meatloaf on the Egg!
  • One of my favorite cooks.  Well done. Agree with cooking without the pan. 

• XC242XC242 Posts: 1,178
    That looks amazing. I wish my wife and daughter liked meatloaf so I could make more often. 
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • WoadieWoadie Posts: 80
    This is a dumb question but if you cook it without the pan, how do you get it off without it falling to pieces? 
  • LegumeLegume Posts: 9,789
    Woadie said:
    This is a dumb question but if you cook it without the pan, how do you get it off without it falling to pieces? 
    You get a nice crust or bark.  As long as it’s not so moist that it’s falling apart from the inside, it holds fine.
    Austin, TX
  • Chief9Chief9 Posts: 116
    I use a basket which works well
    Carrollton, Va
  • OshawaDaveOshawaDave Posts: 176

I had the same issue with too much liquid. I bought a loaf pan, drilled 8 - 1/4" holes in the bottom of the pan to let juices drip out. It works really well. I put a drip pan underneath the meatloaf when cooking to catch the drippings.

Weber Genesis CP310; Weber Q1200 (camping); LBGE.

"If you haven't heard a rumour by 8:30 am - start one"

• WJunebugWJunebug Posts: 17
    Shape the loaf in the pan, but don’t cook it in the pan. You get much more smoky flavor that way. At least that’s how I do it. 
    I shaped the loaf in a pan and put it in the frig for an hour, then cooked it on a small jelly roll-type pan with holes in the bottom and a drip pan underneath.  I think my loaf was just a little too moist as it didn’t hold together well. 
    Plano, TX - L BGE
  • WoadieWoadie Posts: 80
    Legume said:
    Woadie said:
    You get a nice crust or bark.  As long as it’s not so moist that it’s falling apart from the inside, it holds fine.
    Ok that makes sense. 
  • NDGNDG Posts: 1,761
    edited July 16
    Looks real good !!  I might try a meatloaf on the egg this week, got tons of ground frozen beef but not sure if most use pork etc?  I have never done BGE meatloaf before - anyone have a great recipe?
    Columbus, Ohio