Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Banana Leaves?

Options
So my wife showed me a quick video where a person wrapped a seasoned pork butt in banana leaves, then foil, dropped it in a Dutch oven and covered it with coals on a Weber for a l&s cook.  No verbal commentary, just a video with music.  Any reason why I could do the same deal sans the Dutch oven?  I’ve done plenty of pork shoulder/butts on the BGE.  Never used banana leaves.  Already called the Ranchero Market, they have them.  Maybe I’ll swing by in the morning and get some.  Anyone have experience using them?  Feedback is appreciated!
XLBGE, SS table
McKinney, TX.

Comments

• marysvilleksegghead
    Options
    I wrapped a pork butt in 1/2 of a 1# package of banana leaves . . . way too many, heat didn't penetrate very well.  Think I figured a wrap with 2 leaves would be better.
    also, I think they're supposed to soak them before use
    HTH
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • MCRyan
    MCRyan Posts: 167
    Options
    Thanks!  I may be talking my way out of it.  The leaves keep the beautiful bark and char from happening.  The leaves do work well as a mat though, to keep fish and small items from falling through the grate.  I like that idea.  
    XLBGE, SS table
    McKinney, TX.
  • mheller
    mheller Posts: 6
    Options
    Here's a Rick Bayless recipe with video cooking a cochinita pibil pork butt in banana leaves.  I've done it once, turned out great.  Itching to do it again now...

https://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/cochinita-pibil-on-the-grill/

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    I did it a couple years back. It was really good.
    https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1201700/hawaiian-pulled-pork#latest
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    mheller said:
    Here's a Rick Bayless recipe with video cooking a cochinita pibil pork butt in banana leaves.  I've done it once, turned out great.  Itching to do it again now...

https://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/cochinita-pibil-on-the-grill/

This. I did this on a beach a few years back. It was epic (the food sucked but it wasn’t the food’s fault. We were overserved). It’s documented on here somewhere. The Rick Bayless Cochinita Pibil is a great recipe
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    For the record: when I saw the thread title I immediately recalled @The Cen-Tex Smoker 's cook and forum documentation of a few years ago.  His above post just got here quicker.  And yes, it was epic.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • BigRedBuckeye
    Options
    Have done Kalua pork with good results. Smoke a pork butt--seasoned only with Alaea sea salt--wrapped in one layer of banana leaves for couple of hours to absorb smoke. Then wrap (with banana leaves still in place) in foil and cook until just over 200 degrees. It's a steamed pork, without bark, but moist with a little bit of a tea flavor from the banana leaves.
  • Matt86m
    Matt86m Posts: 471
    Options
    Have done Kalua pork with good results. Smoke a pork butt--seasoned only with Alaea sea salt--wrapped in one layer of banana leaves for couple of hours to absorb smoke. Then wrap (with banana leaves still in place) in foil and cook until just over 200 degrees. It's a steamed pork, without bark, but moist with a little bit of a tea flavor from the banana leaves.

Was going to say the same. Kalua pig. Lots of recipes on line. You can also use Ti leaves. They may be harder to find. Tropical florist should have them. Hawaiian store depending where you live.  
    XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Just sharing.  I've go an endless supply of banana leaves.  Used them a few times but only for visual effect.  Enjoying this string.  

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Back in the day, when I first had an Egg, I learned a lot from @Beli on the original forum.  I miss his posts.  He was kind enough to send me a long e-mail detailing this method.  Here is a post of his Cochinita Pibil from 2010, photos no longer show up...

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/954279/x/p1

Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Today.  Lizzie and the bananas.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys