Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Weight loss mission.....finding some new dishes (not necessarily egged).......

Comments

• HoustonEgger
    HoustonEgger Posts: 616
    @northGAcock check out the book - Fit Men Cook - great recipes for weight loss and meal prep: https://www.amazon.com/Fit-Men-Cook-Women_Always-HealthyAF/dp/1501178725

Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    When I was doing the Paleo thing a while back I found this website.  There are a lot of great recipes on here as I found myself still cooking a few a couple times a month.  https://nomnompaleo.com/recipeindex2
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I keep intending to try more Med food, but somehow never have. This search turned up some great looking dishes!

mediterranean food recipes

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,338
    Zucchini Enchiladas Recipe - EatingWell
    http://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/264489/zucchini-enchiladas/?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=eatingwell_eatingwell&utm_medium=social&utm_term=BBE24CD6-A32D-11E9-AC1D-87802AECE977

I made these last night and posted a quick thread on here. They were delicious. All the nutritional facts are on the bottom of the recipe. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,338
    I have also found this website to be really good. 

www.skinnytaste.com

Las Vegas, NV

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited July 2019
    I have also found this website to be really good. 

www.skinnytaste.com

I honestly can say that I’ve not found anything that sucked from this sight.  

This is a favorite at our house 

https://www.skinnytaste.com/grilled-romaine-corn-and-chicken-salad-with-salsa-dressing/

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Carolina Q
    Just had a delightful, filling, healthy lunch. Handful of cherry tomatoes and an ear of corn (nuked in husk, 4 minutes). And before anyone starts in on how bad corn is... http://www.eatingwell.com/article/111076/is-corn-healthy-or-not-5-myths-about-sweet-corn-busted/

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• I just started doing low carbish intermittent fasting and made this the other night.  Was really good and simple to make.

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/grilled-corn-and-poblano-chile-salad?mbid=synd_msn_rss
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,864
    Just had a delightful, filling, healthy lunch. Handful of cherry tomatoes and an ear of corn (nuked in husk, 4 minutes). And before anyone starts in on how bad corn is... http://www.eatingwell.com/article/111076/is-corn-healthy-or-not-5-myths-about-sweet-corn-busted/
    I have always been very skeptical of any diet that rules out certain foods completely, or says that this or that is bad and to be avoided at all costs.  Really at issue tends to be simply eating too much of any one thing.  Most of the regular foods people eat ought to be able to be worked into just about any diet, as long as it's in moderation.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    marinaded mushrooms make a great snack. seared oyster mushrooms make a great side. mushrooms are made for weight loss, lowering bp, lowering cholesterol
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Cauliflower fried rice is a favorite of mine.  It's not great leftover though.
    Glencoe, Minnesota
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    @northGAcock To answer your original question - sometimes I make a big salad with thinly sliced steak or chicken as a protein. You have full control of what vegetables you enjoy and lots of lettuce to help make the meal filling. You can choose from a wide variety of low calorie dressings with a huge range of flavor profiles. I find I can make a salad that leaves me feeling stuffed for less than 500 calories. Sorry I can’t point to a recipe because I just make stuff up as I go along. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Food for thought - you might also toy with a “tapas night”. My wife and I find we eat really small portions that are spread out over a period of time. You get to taste and enjoy cooking several things. We end up feeling very satisfied while again eating a small amount of actual food. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Carolina Q
    This is an awesome thread!! SOOO many fresh ideas - for those of us in a rut anyway. Keep 'em coming!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited July 2019
    If you decide to do the low carb thing, highly recommend Kalyn’s Kitchen for recipes. I  still make stuff that I found on here 10 years ago. And that’s because I like it better than the original version. Her cauliflower mash and chicken with tarragon mustard sauce have been in our rotation for at least 10 years. 

On my “best pork chop ever” thread, that is her tarragon mustard sauce 

https://kalynskitchen.com/
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    I know your not doing Keto but this one is seriously good- great meal even if you are eating carbs. 

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/259138/keto-chicken-parmesan/
    Greensboro, NC
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Good luck Robin, I wish I could offer some suggestions but I still eat like you used too. I have made grilled squash and it is real good. Kit may have some suggestions as she went full health food on me.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,182
    edited July 2019
    While only tangentially related to the OP’s question.....

Here are a few things that I have found helpful on health and weight control.

The first step to weight loss and control in mindfulness. If you are overweight, it is because you are consuming more calories than you are burning (i.e., caloric surplus). Your portions are too large. You eat too frequently. You are drinking your calories without realizing it. Being mindful of what is causing your weight surplus is the first hurdle, as is accepting that you need to do things differently to obtain different results.

The second hurdle is also mental. You need to really want to lose weight. And not just want it, but be mentally committed to making daily sacrifices for it. This includes ensuring active decisions on each and every morsel that goes into your mouth. 

In addition to being mindful of caloric intake and committing to goals, something that has worked extremely well for me is the concept of nutritional density. There is no food I am unprepared to eat. But anything I eat, I am cognizant of what my body is getting out of it (and correspondingly, what it may be adding to my body, whether muscle or fat). For example, I am not inherently a proponent of low carb diets. Carbs can offer many benefits, especially in the context of active lifestyles. However, I am very mindful of my intake of high glycemic index carbs. Potatoes, white bread, etc. provide very few benefits for my body relative to their caloric counts and I therefore generally avoid them. However, I also recognize the benefits of oats, whole grain rice, and sweet potatoes and will actively seek to include them in my diet, especially on days I am exercising. Some opt to cut out carbs altogether because it’s simpler to do that than to learn how they work, which to seek out and how they should be employed. 

You can live a little and still be healthy. You have to find a balance that is conducive to your lifestyle. My wife and I have a shared general approach to healthy eating. Quite pious Monday through Thursday. We do what we want Friday through Sunday (within some reason; e.g., neither of us are binge eaters or chronic snackers). We find this to be a great balance between health and our love of food. One of the reasons it works well for us is that we do most socializing on weekends. We therefore don’t have to impose dietary restrictions (which can prove problematic for social engagements) while seeing friends and family. Truth is, weight loss can really accommodate ANY type of food. You can have beer, ice cream, brisket, cookies, etc. Just be sure to restrict portion sizes accordingly. If you haven’t read about the Twinkie diet, it is worth a look. http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

Finally, exercise is helpful and very beneficial to weight loss, but it is not absolutely essential. For weight control, it is much, much easier to lose weight by restricting calories than by exercising. The one huge benefit to exercise is that it builds muscle and speeds up metabolism. The more muscle you have, the more calories you burn. Build more muscle and you can afford to consume more calories without gaining fat. Understanding how metabolism, which is fluid, works is very helpful in understanding the role exercise and nutrition play in weight management. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    edited July 2019
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• eggnewtoy
    eggnewtoy Posts: 496
    I started WW about 16 months ago, hit first goal (down 60 lbs) have another 20 to go.  Find it fairly easy to stick to a healthy eating plan.  One of my favorite WW friendly dishes is cedar planked salmon with English mustard and sprinkled with brown sugar (1-t) , grilled on cedar plank at 400 for 10 minutes.  Very easy and excellent.  The combo of english mustard and brown sugar is great.  it’s taken me a long time to find a healthier eating plan.  Also, work out daily—swimming, bar method, yoga.  Continued good luck to you.  
    BGE Large and MiniMax, Napolean 500.  Obsessed with rotisserie.  

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    JRWhitee said:
    Good luck Robin, I wish I could offer some suggestions but I still eat like you used too. I have made grilled squash and it is real good. Kit may have some suggestions as she went full health food on me.
    You lucky B@stered....you know I am kidding right?
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • eggnewtoy
    eggnewtoy Posts: 496
    JRWhitee said:
    Ha-ha-ha.  I haven't gone full health food and have learned how to live within WW world and it works.  Believe me, I am still eating—just have stopped with sugar daily (although I did down a pint of chocolate ice cream this week among other things). I do have a lot of new ways of cooking and eating and BBQ remains tops.   Let me know if u’d like my recipes/methods.  Promise, no keto, bean sprouts, twigs unless they are going into the fire.
    BGE Large and MiniMax, Napolean 500.  Obsessed with rotisserie.  

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    After posting the chicken parm I had to make it tonight.  It really is outstanding and the kids crushed it- minus the zoodles.   Sorry the pics are out of order-

Greensboro, NC
  • HoustonEgger
    HoustonEgger Posts: 616
    Took the kids to Chic-Fil-A Saturday so they could terrorize the playground - they've got a Market Salad on the menu that I thoroughly enjoyed so I decided to re-create it at home on Sunday for lunch after church.

Chic-Fil-A Description: Sliced grilled chicken breast served on a fresh bed of mixed greens, topped with crumbled blue cheese and a mix of red and green apples, strawberries and blueberries. Made fresh daily. Served with Harvest Nut Granola, Roasted Nut Blend and Light Balsamic Vinaigrette dressing

Picture of my homemade version here - pre chicken. Marinated thin sliced chicken breast in pickle juice while at church, then quick grilled them on the egg, sliced and served on top of the salad. Mixed greens, apples, strawberries, blueberries, raisins, bleu cheese and balsamic vinaigrette. Summer in a bowl basically. 

Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • northGAcock
    Took the kids to Chic-Fil-A Saturday so they could terrorize the playground - they've got a Market Salad on the menu that I thoroughly enjoyed so I decided to re-create it at home on Sunday for lunch after church.

Chic-Fil-A Description: Sliced grilled chicken breast served on a fresh bed of mixed greens, topped with crumbled blue cheese and a mix of red and green apples, strawberries and blueberries. Made fresh daily. Served with Harvest Nut Granola, Roasted Nut Blend and Light Balsamic Vinaigrette dressing

Picture of my homemade version here - pre chicken. Marinated thin sliced chicken breast in pickle juice while at church, then quick grilled them on the egg, sliced and served on top of the salad. Mixed greens, apples, strawberries, blueberries, raisins, bleu cheese and balsamic vinaigrette. Summer in a bowl basically. 

Thanks....familiar with CFA salads....someone told me at WW’s last night they enjoy it without dressing. Gonna try that. 

I have to say say my favorite salad eaten out thus far is Chipotle’s chicken (no cheese, rice or guacamole). Gonna revisit this one for sure. 

• northGAcock
    Wolfpack said:
    I know your not doing Keto but this one is seriously good- great meal even if you are eating carbs. 

Killing me....yeah not gonna make my rotation (at least until diet gets into maintenance stage. Appreciate your posting it. 

• northGAcock
    ryantt said:
    I’ve tried every type of diet out there and can tell you that I’ve failed at every single one of them.  Since October of last year my inactivity and crap eating lead to 70lb weight gain.  I was already overweight and this put me into the oh my goodness your going to die if you don’t fix things.   Starting May 17th I found out that I had made myself so unhealthy I now was a type 2 diabetic.   I talked with my doctor and a nutritionist about a real plan.   I knew I ate like crap and was sedentary for the most part, but there were things I could change. 

I couldn’t do the keto thing or the vegan thing or the whatever else thing that was next on the list.   What I was told was simple eat 40 or carbs less per meal from things that are real food.   Real food = something your great grandparents would recognize, not pre made processed crap.  Eat lean meats and if you need to have a snack make it a worth while one, so I eat a peach or an apple, followed by 12-16oz of water.  Again real food.   

Most nights we eat chicken, sometimes turkey, sometimes steak or fish.   It is always served with vegetables....love my spiralizer.  

Im down 32.4 lbs my waist is 5inches smaller and I feel better.   Before my blood sugar per the fasting pre surgery test was 176.  Today it was 94,  I figure in another 3-4mos I could at this pace be down 70lbs.   
    All the best with the many challenges you are facing.