Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ozark Oak vs Rockwood

Options
I procured some Ozark Oak a year or two
ago. The old school stuff.  Like others, I’ve been hoarding it for the apocalypse. I decided to bust open a bag for the holiday weekend to see what all the fuss was about. I’ve taken it through its paces with hot and fast steaks, baby backs, raised direct wings, reverse sear pork chops, grilled veggies and fruits like peaches and pineapples. 

My overall conclusion is it’s good lump but it’s not as good as Rockwood. Seems to be a little less carbonized than Rockwood. Takes about 15 extra minutes to get the medium up to temp and it burns about 30-50F cooler than Rockwood using the same vent settings. More white smoke up until 400F but not obnoxious smelling like most of the bulk brands. Rockwood also is faster to raise the temps. The Ozark Oak takes a while to go from 300-500F. I didn’t put a timer on it but I’d say it took twice as long as Rockwood to make the jump. 

The one true win for OO is the 10lb bag. I was surprised that I liked it so much. Much easier to handle and fill a smaller egg. 

Don’t get me wrong, Ozark Oak is good stuff. Really good in fact. But it’s simply not as good as Rockwood. It’s along the lines of Wicked Wood Weekend Warrior in my opinion. 

I’m glad that I have a few bags left but it’ll be used in the rotation as there’s no need to hoard it. 

I’m glad that Rockwood is readily available. Support an American small business that puts out a superior product. Keep up the good work @stlcharcoal You sir are the Lump King. 

Here are a few pics of some cooks. I didn’t take pics of all the cooks.

Comments

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Great review mike. Couldn’t agree more on Rockwood’s hefty lead in the king of lump charcoal. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Thanks for your review Michael.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Rockwood
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Troublemaker :smiley:

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    I love rockwood

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Any testing done on a Medium BGE is null and void!
    Please redo on a real Egg.lol

Nice write up and great food pics.
    Many years ago, in this area, we used to buy Picnic Lump Brand.
    It was very good and came in real nice 6.6 pound bags.
    Although it took 3 bags to get started on the XL.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Thanks Michael, nice review.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    Options
    its always good to be reassured your using the right lump go RW
    Long Island NY    
    1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Did this testing include use of the KAB?
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    edited July 2019
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Did this testing include use of the KAB?
    The medium has a KAB with the fire grate in place. Testing is too strict a term to use. This is merely one guy’s observations over a long weekend of using a product. 

• MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    Options
    As someone who has only read about OO, thanks for the review and reducing my fear of missing out. 

Rockwood was available in 10# bags in STL, but I don't recall seeing those in the past few years.
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    Nice to have Rockwood for a replacement. I sure miss OO though. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    MO_Eggin said:
    As someone who has only read about OO, thanks for the review and reducing my fear of missing out. 

Rockwood was available in 10# bags in STL, but I don't recall seeing those in the past few years.
    Thanks. That was really the intention of posting this. There really is no fear of missing out with OO. It has legend status for sure but you can go to the store and buy a superior product in my opinion. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    I've never used the mythical Ozark Oak and all I know about it is via the nostalgic musings from those folks that had the good fortune to be customers "back in the day".

I thought I had heard that the Ozark Oak plant was back up and running. Wonder how the old OO vs. New OO battle would go.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,746
    Options
    Ozark Oak and Rockwood are 1A and 1B, in either order. Very grateful one of them is still around because I don't want to go back to any of the 7 or 8 other varieties I've tried. Especially grateful that Rockwood is more readily available than ever.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    edited July 2019
    Options
    @WeberWho said:
    Nice to have Rockwood for a replacement. I sure miss OO though. 
    Especially when good people to have 16 skids come through the area at $5 a bag for 10 lbs

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Options
    Speaking of back in the day.... Ron your trunk still full of OO?
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I used to procure LG amounts of OO... 80 bags at a time. I have burnt through it all. I loved it and the price... 50 cents per lb. I'm on my last bag of Rockwood now. I used Lazarri last night. Neutral taste but it's like the 4th of July lighting it. It's my understanding that Rockwood can't be purchased in CA. Might have to road trip to another state.

On a side note. Jonathan is a great guy and I'd give him all of my business if I could. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,835
    Options
    henapple said:
    I used to procure LG amounts of OO... 80 bags at a time. I have burnt through it all. I loved it and the price... 50 cents per lb. I'm on my last bag of Rockwood now. I used Lazarri last night. Neutral taste but it's like the 4th of July lighting it. It's my understanding that Rockwood can't be purchased in CA. Might have to road trip to another state.

On a side note. Jonathan is a great guy and I'd give him all of my business if I could. 

It's alive....

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited July 2019
    Options
    henapple said:

Hey man I'm happy to take all your money too.  You gotta lay off the PBR and hang out here more........because RW has been available in CA since October 2017!  Mostly Ace Hardware's out there, but is getting into a few more places.

MO_Eggin said:

The 10# bags are still around.....mostly butcher shops and grocery (Paul's, John's, Radeaker's, C&C, Bolyards, Max's, Corner Butcher, Straubs, Market Basket, Local Harvest, and of course our store in Eureka.)  You won't see them much outside of STL though.

• jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Options
    Thanks for the write up. Rockwood is my go to for important cooks but generally use Royal Oak for the stuff that is not what I deem "special". Approach has been working. I do believe there is a difference with Rockwood. 
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA