Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First 100 percent solo cook

Options
Chicken thighs marinated overnight in dichickos lemon herb.  Turned out great! 

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    They look great! You had a good teacher ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• wardo
    wardo Posts: 398
    Options
    I love that serving dish
    NC - LBGE
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    Looks like you did a great job, now for the important question what’s next?   Egging has a way of growing on you!!!! If your up for it I would suggest  mahi-mahi tacos served with cast-iron veggies and guacamole.   
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,648
    Options
    Chicken looks great!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Ah Grasshopper, there is no more I can teach you. You must make your way in world now.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Iloveagoodyoke
    Options
    wardo said:
    I love that serving dish
    Me too! It's fish severing set.  There are also plates shaped like fish.  And a soup terrine.
  • Iloveagoodyoke
    Options
    ryantt said:
    Looks like you did a great job, now for the important question what’s next?   Egging has a way of growing on you!!!! If your up for it I would suggest  mahi-mahi tacos served with cast-iron veggies and guacamole.   
    Tomorrow I have visitors and am doing steak!
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,945
    Options
    Winner winner chicken dinner!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Options
    Great cook...
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Never a doubt that Dichicko's would play a role.  Congrats on stepping out of the shadows that no doubt loom quite large.  Great cook while under the gun. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • 1911Man
    1911Man Posts: 366
    edited July 2019
    Options
    OK, I'll admit to some confusion... Why the "100 percent solo cook" thread?
    Maybe it's just me, and how I've been cooking for over 40 years (started helping my father cook). Watched dad grill and just picked up what I needed that way plus learned from experience. Even when I changed over from the gas grill to the BGE, I just figured out what I needed for the transition. More a learning where the hotter spots were than anything else. 
    Of course, I almost never use recipes when I cook. The only exceptions are with the bread I make (each week) and if I'm trying something out for the first time. Even then (sans bread) it's more about getting an idea of what it's supposed to be and then tuning it to fit my taste. 
    Large BGE with CGS Woo Ring, stone with stainless pan, Smokeware chimney cap, Kick Ash basket and Kick Ash can.
    Living free in the 603 (Pelham).
  • Iloveagoodyoke
    Options
    Everyone learns differently.  I wanted more advice and thankfully had it from someone who's been doing it for a while in my dad.  He was there for my first two cooks and that seems to be all I needed for confidence.  

It might not seem like much of an accomplishment to someone who's been doing it for awhile but I was proud so that's fine.  They turned out great.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options

It might not seem like much of an accomplishment to someone who's been doing it for awhile but I was proud so that's fine.  They turned out great.
    As well you should be. I had been grilling over fire my entire life. Then I finally bought the BGE. I had a learning curve to work through, before I thought I turned out what I thought was excellent.

No shame in my game, I asked some of the best cooks in America (those in this forum) how to do it. They helped me and I was thrilled to turn out the best food, for friends and family, I have ever cooked in my life.

Congrats on your first solo climb. The view from the top was worth the effort.

Keep posting and keep cooking. You are a great addition to this group of miscreants.

Thank you for sharing and have fun.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Ah Grasshopper, there is no more I can teach you. You must make your way in world now.
    It appears Grasshopper has indeed snatched the pebble from Master Po's hand.  Excellent cook.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Iloveagoodyoke
    Options
    YukonRon said:

As well you should be. I had been grilling over fire my entire life. Then I finally bought the BGE. I had a learning curve to work through, before I thought I turned out what I thought was excellent.

No shame in my game, I asked some of the best cooks in America (those in this forum) how to do it. They helped me and I was thrilled to turn out the best food, for friends and family, I have ever cooked in my life.

Congrats on your first solo climb. The view from the top was worth the effort.

Keep posting and keep cooking. You are a great addition to this group of miscreants.

Thank you for sharing and have fun.
    Thanks for the encouragement I appreciate it!  I've really enjoyed the few cooks I've done so far!
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    edited July 2019
    Options
    @lloveagoodyolk.  Please don't take this as an insult but as a compliment. I don't know if you're familiar with the blues/rock artist Mindi Abair but she wails on the sax. She's bad a$$ but she has a song " Pretty Good For a Girl. Google it you'll understand what I'm talking about. Just so you know, I have 3 sisters, two daughters been married 33 yes and my mom is 94.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser