Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What does adding a Minimax do for me if I already have a Large and Medium?

Options
2»

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    I'd go the opposite way and grab an XL. You may not think you need one, but you do
    How do you like your Kamado Jr?
    Love my Jr it’s perfect for quick weeknight cooks or for preparing sides 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    The one with the most eggs wins per @caliking
    @badinfluence said “Hold My Beer!” 

RIP 
  • garthb4903
    garthb4903 Posts: 115
    Options
    Ok, decided I needed more data, so I experimented with a weeknight chicken thighs/vegetables cook on the medium, chicken first, then veggies.  Total time from start of firing up egg to finish cooking vegetables:  1 hour.  I didn't realize it took me that long in the past, that pretty much seals the deal for me on a MM/Kjr for weeknight cooks!  

@ColtsFan @SciAggie @bgebrent @cookingdude555

How long does it take you generally to do weeknight cooks start to finish on the MM?

L, M, MM "These pretzels are making me thirsty"
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    Options
    Ok, decided I needed more data, so I experimented with a weeknight chicken thighs/vegetables cook on the medium, chicken first, then veggies.  Total time from start of firing up egg to finish cooking vegetables:  1 hour.  I didn't realize it took me that long in the past, that pretty much seals the deal for me on a MM/Kjr for weeknight cooks!  

@ColtsFan @SciAggie @bgebrent @cookingdude555

How long does it take you generally to do weeknight cooks start to finish on the MM?

I light with a JJ George torch and use recycled smaller lump out of the large(s)and XL. I'm cooking in 10 minutes on the Jr.. Depending on the cook, well under 45 minutes in most cases
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I don’t think the MMX speeds up my cook over the medium. When I cook, I always clean up the last egg I used and get the lump ready for the next cook. Then a hit from the weed burner has every egg ready pretty quickly.
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Mm is a small extra capacity unit that you may use more than you think...i use a lodge 5 qt double dutch to make french fries on my minimax...get  the cgs woo amd you are golden
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited June 2019
    Options
    The only reason to add a MM on top your Large and Medium is if you can't fit what you need to cook on the 2 Eggs you have now or want a smaller Egg to travel with.
    The issues you point out such as not getting enough char or time it takes to get Eggs up to cooking temp is just technique.
    Don't use the forum to "justify" spending money. If you just want it, go buy it.
    With a propane starter torch I can quickly light my XL in 4 places and be grilling in 15 minutes. Large is even faster.
    Getting a good char...Keep your top vent fully open and control your temp with lower vent. Or close the bottom vent and grill with the dome open. This keeps less moisture in the Egg. Fill your Egg with lump closer to the top of the fire ring and don't use your Woo. This will get your food closer to the heat and flames.
    The photo above with your chicken, fire/coals don't look very hot and chicken is very high above the heat. Get the heat closer by using one of the tips above.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • cookingdude555
    edited June 2019
    Options
    agree with @Photo Egg.  I keep my cast iron grid in my medium on the fire ring all of the time, and when I want to raise from that, I put the woo in.  Allows me to get a good char that I am after, then roast on the woo afterwards.

In the end, the MM will not get you anything more than your medium, only less.  I can do more on my medium, its my favorite size by a long shot.  I doubt I would be able to measure charcoal savings using my MM over the Medium.

But you should go get the MM.  These is no justification for it, but it is fun to have the additional egg.  I have like 10 eggs or some crazy number.  I would say I need the XL, the rest are toys.
  • garthb4903
    Options
    Photo Egg said:

The issues you point out such as not getting enough char or time it takes to get Eggs up to cooking temp is just technique.

Don't use the forum to "justify" spending money. If you just want it, go buy it.
    Thank you, that is actually very helpful.  What I'm doing "wrong": not lighting in multiple places with my torch, cooking grid too high, and no practice grilling on the large (only used for low and slow).  So, I'm sure I can grill on the large and get everything cooked at the same time.

Yes, I'd love a MM, but I don't feel good about spending $500 to compensate for my bad technique...
  • garthb4903
    Options
    agree with @Photo Egg.  I keep my cast iron grid in my medium on the fire ring all of the time, and when I want to raise from that, I put the woo in.  Allows me to get a good char that I am after, then roast on the woo afterwards.

Sounds like I need a cast iron grid!  
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options

Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Photo Egg
    Options

That will give you pretty grill marks.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Photo Egg said:

Thank you, that is actually very helpful.  What I'm doing "wrong": not lighting in multiple places with my torch, cooking grid too high, and no practice grilling on the large (only used for low and slow).  So, I'm sure I can grill on the large and get everything cooked at the same time.

Yes, I'd love a MM, but I don't feel good about spending $500 to compensate for my bad technique...
    Cooking on an Egg, stick burner, Weber Kettle or stove top are all different. It will start to click and just be automatic for you as time goes on and you gain experience.
    The goal, for me, when I first started cooking on grills was to solve one issue at a time. If I'm not getting the result I want, how do I adjust my cook next time to get closer to a win? If you want to get up to grilling temp faster, for a fast cook like chicken thighs, I would light the large in at least 3 places. I normally do 10-2-6 o'clock and nothing in the dead middle. If I want a hotter fire, 4-5 spots hit with torch for 30-45 seconds. Bottom vent wide open, dome closed with top vent all open or completely off. Start closing bottom vent when temps get closer to target. I normally still use my Woo but fill with lump so it domes the top of the fire ring. Easier to watch and flip meat at Woo level.
    If you prefer using less lump than skip the Woo and put grid on fire ring. If we can get the Large to 800-900 degrees to cook pizza in a couple minutes you can also char some chicken.
    Now I'm hungry for Chicken!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options

Better crust development on a steak with a more open ss grid.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Welcome this little big guy to his forever home...

You’ll love it. Between my 3 eggs and BS, the MM pulls the most weight for the two of us. 
    To answer the original question, 45-60’. 
    Leaving the lower screen open while coming up to temp (if on a safe surface) is a great tip I learned from @YukonRon.  Enjoy your new cooker. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • garthb4903
    Options
    Leaving the lower screen open while coming up to temp (if on a safe surface) is a great tip I learned from @YukonRon.  Enjoy your new cooker. 
    I typically leave both the lower screen and the top wide open when coming to temp, is that what you mean?

And thanks!
  • bgebrent
    Options
    I typically leave both the lower screen and the top wide open when coming to temp, is that what you mean?

And thanks!
    Exactly. 
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    Welcome this little big guy to his forever home...

Congrats!  Enjoy it.
  • garthb4903
    Options
    all the comments helped, got me to figure out what I really wanted, which is: ability to cook at different temps at the same time, while not use the large for weekday cooks to (hopefully) save a little time, and- to have another toy.  Thanks for the new tips @Photo Egg @cookingdude555 @bgebrent @ColtsFan
    @SciAggie @jtcBoynton @westernbbq !!!

• DFW
    DFW Posts: 208
    Options
    Love it!!!  Congrats @garthb4903
    Arlington, TX
  • Flatfoot
    Flatfoot Posts: 96
    edited June 2019
    Options
    You're gonna love it!  Congrats!
    LBGE, MM, & Mini. Weber Smokey Joe for a knockabout. 
    "Honestly, Honey!  Just one more Egg, and one more gun, and I'll be done!"
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Have fun!
  • garthb4903
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Have fun!
    Now I get to change my signature to add the MM!  I'm such a sucker!
  • lightningQ
    lightningQ Posts: 38
    Options
    I got mine Saturday, did 2 small cooks to initiate it.  I LOVE it.  enjoy it.  I am done finding excuses for getting toys.  My answer is " Because I can " :) 

• HoustonEgger
    HoustonEgger Posts: 616
    Options

Took my MM to my son's all day soccer tournament on Saturday and cooked up hot dogs, sausages and chicken wings for the kids and family members. I use the MM at home primarily to sear or for short grill sessions - but love the travel functionality. I've got a mini as well but the MM gets a lot more action. I just lift it into a yard wagon and tote it around that way. The new stand works great for on location cooking as well. 
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker