Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What does adding a Minimax do for me if I already have a Large and Medium?

Options
Yes, I have an itch for a MM that I'm wanting to scratch, but the question here is about actual functionality:  besides portability, what does the MM add in benefits to the L and M lineup?  Cooking for mainly two people, my goals:  make great woks/stir fries, great pulled pork/brisket, cook a protein a vegetable and same time, and slowly add to my BGE recipe repertoire. 
L, M, MM "These pretzels are making me thirsty"

Comments

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I'm sorry, you've come to the wrong place in regards to logical money spending.  No help here.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,981
    Options
    Really just portability.  We take ours to the beach every year, and I know others take theirs camping.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • garthb4903
    garthb4903 Posts: 115
    Options
    @SmokeyPitt I'm still LOL'ing! 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I've never lifted a MMax, but I understand that at 76 lbs, it's not all that easy to lug around. Guess it depends on how far you need to carry it. And your condition of course. My late Mini (RIP) was easy enough, about the same weight (39 lbs) as its replacement, an Akorn Jr (40 pounds). The Akorn cost only $75 and has a 14" grid, larger than the MMax.

You are cooking for two people and you already have two grills. The M should do nicely for the two of you. The Max will give you nothing you don't already have except some degree of portability.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    There are some lump efficiencies you would realize with regards to usage. Not sure that alone would be of interest. It’s a searing machine though. Love mine and I seldom take it places.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • ewyllins
    ewyllins Posts: 461
    Options
    Its my go to for everything except large proteins, although have done a small butt before. Just get one, if nothing else its impressive when your friends come over and see 3 eggs!!  
    O-Town, FL

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,494
    Options
    ewyllins said:
    Just get one, if nothing else its impressive when your friends come over and see 3 eggs!!  
    ^^^This.  Three BGEs are at least 50% more impressive than two, on your patio. :triumph:

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    ewyllins said:
    “although have done a small butt before.”
    Keep it clean and about cooking, please. 😉
  • builderdawg
    builderdawg Posts: 105
    Options
    ewyllins said:
    “although have done a small butt before.”
    Keep it clean and about cooking, please. 😉
    Ha ha. Some of us like our butts on the large side. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,899
    Options
    Well sir - you asked about the M/M which I do not have nor intend to buy one. Just the same my Small has the same grill size, but with a taller base. Now that's explained I love my Small! We are a family of two like you and of all four of my eggs my Small gets 70% of all my egging! I use my Large for ribs, butts and turkeys, but my Small gets my every day kind of cooks. My advice is get the M/M and never look back! Perhaps you can find a dealer somewhere wanting to get rid of the Small in his inventory.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • unoriginalusername
    Options

Camping + Green egg = Glamping 
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Still a great table setup @Proser
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I have a large and a MM. I like having two for cooking different things at the same time. The MM is nice as a “side burner” and for stir fries - but your medium is probably fine for that too. If you need a portable cooker, well the MM may be what you want. 
    Or...
    You might think about a propane burner for stir fries and the other things it can do. If you need a camping grill maybe just a Weber - it depends on what you want. Or go nuts - after two eggs I built a wood oven. I ordered a stick burner a couple of weeks ago. You may have seen my 32” paella pan and grill I built. It’s a disease...
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,193
    Options
    Buy a Blackstone instead. 
  • Hotwingking
    Hotwingking Posts: 279
    Options
    Lose the medium 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Buy a Blackstone instead. 
    Yup. Game changer. Have a MM I love. Given your cookers, a flat top will be much more transformative. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Lose the medium 
    terrible idea
  • garthb4903
    Options
    @cookingdude555 the BGE forum seems to concur with you, as the medium gets constant love from the opinioners on size...

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    @cookingdude555 the BGE forum seems to concur with you, as the medium gets constant love from the opinioners on size...

@garthb4903, I am sure @hotwingking is having some fun, I'm not taking it too serious (not me that flagged the post as disagree, I dont like those buttons).  But, I agree with your consensus.  I have never heard of someone not liking their medium, unless it was their only egg.
  • eggnewtoy
    eggnewtoy Posts: 496
    Options
    I have a large and a mini.  Love both and find them a good complement to each other.  With the medium, I’d probably not buy it.
    BGE Large and MiniMax, Napolean 500.  Obsessed with rotisserie.  

• Flatfoot
    Flatfoot Posts: 96
    Options
    More Eggs = More Better!  😝 Seriously, I love all three of my Eggs and they all get their share of use, but my MM gets the lion's share of day to day cooks. It's the perfect blend of efficiency and useable grid space for meals for two. 
    LBGE, MM, & Mini. Weber Smokey Joe for a knockabout. 
    "Honestly, Honey!  Just one more Egg, and one more gun, and I'll be done!"
  • NCSmoky
    NCSmoky Posts: 515
    Options
    Did a 9lb Butt on the MM last weekend. Low and slows are kind of tough because the meat is too close to the plate setter and you can’t raise it because of the dome height. Still a great cooker though

• Eggin_in_PA
    Options

Camping + Green egg = Glamping 
    Sorry to change the subject, but do you still have the old style handles with the allen key? You can emai egg headquarters and they will send you the new style with bolts.

On topic, my MM gets used quite a bit more than the large.  Excellent for steaks, burgers, and chicken.  Grillggrates will help with flames if that is an issue for you
    York County, PA
    Large BGE 2014 - CGS adj rig, spider, and stones..
    Mini Max 2018
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,352
    Options
    I'd go the opposite way and grab an XL. You may not think you need one, but you do
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Matt86m
    Matt86m Posts: 471
    Options
    Bragging rights!

Need one to compliment my XL, Traeger, Santa Maria, Lodge hibachi, gas grill & Weber gas Q200. 
    XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m
  • DFW
    DFW Posts: 208
    Options
    I’m getting a Medium...
    Arlington, TX
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    The one with the most eggs wins per @caliking

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • garthb4903
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    I'd go the opposite way and grab an XL. You may not think you need one, but you do
    How do you like your Kamado Jr?