Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pre or post sear? Sous vide prime rib

Options
Hey all, I know everyone has there methods but I want to get thoughts on pre searing or reverse searing when cooking prime rib sous vide.

I plan to sous vide two roasts for a large party and have seen both pre searing and reverse searing.

What's are your thoughts? I plan to rub with crushed garlic, salt, pepper, fresh thyme and fresh Rosemary then into the bath.

Comments

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Do one each way and report back!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options
    i have limited sous vide experience (owned one for 2 years and never used it) but my FIL uses his alot and i would think you would want to sear after for the crust and the appearance, most of the stuff i have seen from him looks rough out of the bath.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,429
    Options
    Kent8621 said:
    i have limited sous vide experience (owned one for 2 years and never used it) but my FIL uses his alot and i would think you would want to sear after for the crust and the appearance, most of the stuff i have seen from him looks rough out of the bath.
    This...
  • onpoint456
    onpoint456 Posts: 204
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    Do one each way and report back!
    Duh, I completely missed the obvious. I'll try one each way and report back.
  • onpoint456
    onpoint456 Posts: 204
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    Kent8621 said:
    This...
    The techniques I found that talk about searing before also put it back in the broiler after it's done cooking. I suppose it's to get the crust back.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited June 2019
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    Kent8621 said:
    This...
    The techniques I found that talk about searing before also put it back in the broiler after it's done cooking. I suppose it's to get the crust back.
    This makes no sense to me. Why bother with the first sear if you just have to do it all over again?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    You can do both a pre and post sear. The reason is flavour. The pre sear, not too much required with salt only, then add the herbs rub it and into the Trés Booblay. Give it a light dry and sear to finish. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Sorry - didn’t mention, the egg has the day off. Both pre and post sear can be done with CI, much easier to control the sear.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    Kent8621 said:
    This...
    This makes no sense to me. Why bother with the first sear if you just have to do it all over again?
    I could see how searing before SV may add to the flavor. Pre sear for that Maillard reaction on the surface, which mixes in with the juices during SV. Would still need the post SV sear though. 

Sounds good in in my head at least. Only way to know is by doing a side by side comparison. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Park your Anova and just slow roast the roast. Smoky divinity. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    What temp are you planning to use for the sous vide?  What I've read is, if you're going to go real low/long in what would otherwise be considered the "danger zone", sear first to kill any microbes on the meat's surface.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    I like the post sear idea just for the pure spectical for guests to enjoy.  If you're busy with that, you won't be folding napkins and having to partake in all the pleasantries.  You will be out back sweating (shirt off of course)  fighting the fire and bringing the meal home! 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI