Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pretty pumped for my Korean pulled pork this weekend

Simcan
Simcan Posts: 287
edited June 2019 in EggHead Forum
I was inspired by a Netflix show I watched the other day with Roy Choi and Jon Favreau, so today I bought a couple of small (~4.5 pounds) pork butts and created a marinade based on (but not exactly like) one they put together on the show.  Rough measurements are:

About 1.5 large yellow onions, rough chop
8 green onions, rough chop
large knob of peeled ginger, rough chop
1 cup whole peeled garlic cloves
2 cups gochujang
1.5 cups soy
1.5 cups orange juice
1 cup mirin
2 peeled kiwi
2 large jalapenos
1/2 cup sesame oil
4 tablespoons sesame seeds toasted

Pureed all that up in the blender; it tastes so good I keep going back for a spoonful every now and then. Seriously.

I flirted with the idea of making these into burnt ends, but decided that the plan is to marinate the butts for 24 hours (starting tomorrow, cooking Saturday) and then smoke them until ready to pull.  Serving as make-your-own tacos with soft flour tortillas, with kimchi slaw, crushed peanuts, and some picked shallots and pickled shallots.

For sauce, I have not decided whether to serve with just some reserved marinade (I have a lot), or whether I should use some of the marinade with some ketchup, brown sugar and rice vinegar to make up a sort of barbecue sauce...I will probably try to make something up, and if it is no good stick with the reserved marinade.

I will take some pics and let you know how it turns out. I know we like pictures here so here is the marinade.

Toronto ON

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    been doing korean tacos with shaved beef lately.  been topping it with a layer of sauted kimchi and another layer of purple cabbage mixed with mayo, rooster sauce and lime.  im stealing your marinade for another sauce layer to bring on some heat =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Man let me know how this turns out.  Been looking to mix up my pork cooks.  Maybe use this for the 4th of July pool party.  Nothing says independence day like korean pulled pork.   =)
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    I will be following this cook.  Best of luck.
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• Simcan
    edited June 2019
    @fishlessman feel free to steal away! You could add some vodka and serve this stuff as a cocktail.  

While it has some heat, for sure, it is surprisingly (given the gochujang and jalapenos (including seeds and pith)) not what I would call spicy. Just nicely balanced. I thought I might have to add some vinegar and/or sugar to round it out, but nope.
    Toronto ON
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,431
    Anxious to see the pics, and hear the review!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    I’m lined up with the rest of the peanut gallery 
  • Simcan
    The saga continues...Dry-brined overnight (just salt). I don't usually inject, but this time I figured why the hell not; I think more marinade ended up on the walls and ceiling of my kitchen, but some ended up in the butts.  Anyway, into the bag until tomorrow morning!

Toronto ON
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    Simcan said:
    The saga continues...Dry-brined overnight (just salt). I don't usually inject, but this time I figured why the hell not; I think more marinade ended up on the walls and ceiling of my kitchen, but some ended up in the butts.  Anyway, into the bag until tomorrow morning!

if you have more marinade, inject again in the egg between 160 and 170,  no mess, it freshens things up flavorwise, and more stays in
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    This sounds like an excellent plan
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I like how this is shaping up 👍🏾

I made David Chang's bo ssam  recipe not too long ago. Recipes for the 3 sauces I tried are  in this thread: 

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1218732/bo-ssam-korean-pulled-pork

If you can, make the sauce(s)  ahead. The flavors really improve after some time in the fridge. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Looking great - following this closely 😉 
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Simcan
    And we're off. 225ish and pecan chunks for smoke.

Toronto ON
  • Simcan
    Pretty close to done.  Soon I will be FTC for a few hours before pulling.  Ended up making a barbecue sauce with the marinade, ketchup, brown sugar, gochugaru (a korean crushed pepper) and rice vinegar and it tastes like a winner.  Slaw recipe, by the way, is 4 cups shredded napa cabbage, 2 chopped up green onions, 1 cup of chopped kimchi, and a dressing of 3 tbsps kimchi juice, juice of 3 limes, 1/4 cup EVOO, and a little salt and a little sugar.

Toronto ON
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    They are looking great.
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• Simcan
    Just to close the loop on this, the pork and the slaw tasted great and I had enough marinade left over that I am braising a bunch of chicken thighs in it today to make pulled chicken...Korean "sloppy joes". Give this marinade or something like it a try!
    Toronto ON