Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Pretty pumped for my Korean pulled pork this weekend

SimcanSimcan Posts: 287
edited June 13 in EggHead Forum
I was inspired by a Netflix show I watched the other day with Roy Choi and Jon Favreau, so today I bought a couple of small (~4.5 pounds) pork butts and created a marinade based on (but not exactly like) one they put together on the show.  Rough measurements are:

About 1.5 large yellow onions, rough chop
8 green onions, rough chop
large knob of peeled ginger, rough chop
1 cup whole peeled garlic cloves
2 cups gochujang
1.5 cups soy
1.5 cups orange juice
1 cup mirin
2 peeled kiwi
2 large jalapenos
1/2 cup sesame oil
4 tablespoons sesame seeds toasted

Pureed all that up in the blender; it tastes so good I keep going back for a spoonful every now and then. Seriously.

I flirted with the idea of making these into burnt ends, but decided that the plan is to marinate the butts for 24 hours (starting tomorrow, cooking Saturday) and then smoke them until ready to pull.  Serving as make-your-own tacos with soft flour tortillas, with kimchi slaw, crushed peanuts, and some picked shallots and pickled shallots.

For sauce, I have not decided whether to serve with just some reserved marinade (I have a lot), or whether I should use some of the marinade with some ketchup, brown sugar and rice vinegar to make up a sort of barbecue sauce...I will probably try to make something up, and if it is no good stick with the reserved marinade.

I will take some pics and let you know how it turns out. I know we like pictures here so here is the marinade.

Toronto ON

Comments