Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gas Grill Recommendations Sought

Options
My father-in-law’s birthday is fast approaching and we were thinking we’d get him a gasser in the neighbourhood of $1500 or so CAD ($1125 USD; though keep in mind we pay inflated prices for most goods). As much as I’d like to convert my father-in-law to a Kamado (as I have previously done with a brother-in-law), ease of use and low maintenance is key for him, hence the gas grill. As far as specs, a large cooking area and ease of operation are a must. 

While a few contenders come to mind - Weber Genesis or Napoleon P500RSIB (the latter of which I own but have been pretty disappointed in) - I thought I’d canvass you fine folks for opinions. 

Any other options I should be looking at? 

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    I got a new Genesis a few weeks ago - very happy with the addition to the stable and my wife isn't afraid of it.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    I got a new Genesis a few weeks ago - very happy with the addition to the stable and my wife isn't afraid of it.
    Thanks. That’s where my mind was going, but I’ll see if any other suggestions trickle in. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,036
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I had a Weber Genesis for a long time.  Great grill, great company (overnighted a firebox and burners when the gas burner rusted and melted the aluminum box, all under warranty after 5 years of steady use). Easy to use, looks nice, easy to maintain.

On a weber, the firebox is the entire lower half of the grill.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Options
    Weber hands down
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    Go with the Weber-their products are top-shelf for the $$, stand the test of time and they stand behind 'em. Along with other Weber charcoal grills I had a Weber gas Genesis in the stable for around 15 years (SWMBO thought a great Father's Day gift when too old (her assessment) to deal with charcoal...)  Gave it away to a friend after the LBGE buy around a decade + ago and back to charcoal and stick burner roots. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I have really enjoyed my Weber genesis’s over the years. 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    Options
    Weber Genesis II hands down. It cooks more evenly compared to Napoleon  and BK. It's 10-year warranty covers both parts and labour, the competitions warranty is parts only.
    These are the most popular 'special edition' with 9 mm stainless cooking grates not sold at big box stores ... CSE-315, CSE-335, CSS-315 CSS-335
    canuckland
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Seems pretty unanimous. 
  • BugFreak72
    BugFreak72 Posts: 246
    Options
    Weber all the way. I've had my Genesis for 13 years and it's still going strong. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    my weber has to be over 20 years now, could use new grates but its still working well enough. parts are still available.  20 years and i still dont like the front to back burner setup, i like the side to side setups better but i dont trust the other grills longevity
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    The Weber is a can’t go wrong, according to neighbour who bought one (LPG/NG) a couple of years ago. I have a 20 year old BK Regal that is on the third burner, could not ask for more in a gasser although it gets used as either a warming oven or a searing station. CI grids are awesome. It was the model that Consumers didn’t like because it got too hot, go figure. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    my weber has to be over 20 years now, could use new grates but its still working well enough. parts are still available.  20 years and i still dont like the front to back burner setup, i like the side to side setups better but i dont trust the other grills longevity
    Interesting.  My Weber was a smaller model and its two burners ran side-to-side; hence there was no way to set up a hot side/cooler side, unless you were cooking rattlesnake or eel, and slide the protein fore/aft.  I didn't care for that.  

Otherwise, agree with everyone else's recommendation, mine was 10 years old when I went egg and my buddy's son is still using it (I think).  The push-button lighter thingies need replacing every 5 years or so, otherwise reliable.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• fishlessman
    Options
    Botch said:
    Interesting.  My Weber was a smaller model and its two burners ran side-to-side; hence there was no way to set up a hot side/cooler side, unless you were cooking rattlesnake or eel, and slide the protein fore/aft.  I didn't care for that.  

Otherwise, agree with everyone else's recommendation, mine was 10 years old when I went egg and my buddy's son is still using it (I think).  The push-button lighter thingies need replacing every 5 years or so, otherwise reliable.  
    the one i grew up with had separate burners side by side that could be adjusted, you could shut one side down and roast indirect on that side.  the current weber has three burners front to back so if i turn a burner down a steak sits on two different temps so to get one off the heat i need to stack the steaks. im sure the newer bigger ones have this worked out
    fukahwee maine

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Why not a Weber Summit Charcoal? It is slightly above what you are wanting to spend, but all the negatives of the egg and the "maintenance" don't exist in the Weber Summit. Ash removal is simply slide a bar side to side and then remove a bucket at the bottom and dump in the trash.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Regarding Weber gassers and the burners; side-to-side or front-to-back:  According to a salesperson rolling around the mid-west on Weber's semi a few years ago, the move to front-to-back was based in part on customer feedback.  Seems many wanted the shelf space occupied by the gas controls on the side.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    I have a Fire Magic built-in that I've probably had for 30 years. It's built to last but I don't think you get one for 1500 bucks. 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • 6baluts
    6baluts Posts: 272
    Options
    Concur on that Fire Magic. Your 1500 dollar purchase 30 years ago now costs about 5x that. 
    To the original poster agree with the Webers discussed above, but Weber has gone a bit downhill over the years. The warranty though is top shelf. My 1997 Genesis 3000 red hat is still going strong.
    I would also look at American Outdoor Grill (AOG). Five years ago I was hot to trot to get a Weber Summit. Took a look unimpressed. Looked at the AOG and bought it. Great temp control. Its made by RH Peterson same folks that make the Firemagic. 
    Here is a link that takes a look at grills from the service perspective.
    http://allvalleybackyard.com/REVIEWS.php
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    Options
    Current Genesis II 3-burner model is the most popular size.  Total grilling surface is 19x27 so each zone is 19x9, one can mix and match the 3 front to back burners to create desired indirect area(s). On the models with searing and side burners, there is an extra burner between the two burners on the right (same design as the top of the line Summit gas models).
    canuckland
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Why not a Weber Summit Charcoal? It is slightly above what you are wanting to spend, but all the negatives of the egg and the "maintenance" don't exist in the Weber Summit. Ash removal is simply slide a bar side to side and then remove a bucket at the bottom and dump in the trash.

If you knew my father-in-law, you would understand why charcoal is not an option. A brilliant and talented man, but not one with the patience for such things. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,170
    Options

If you knew my father-in-law, you would understand why charcoal is not an option. A brilliant and talented man, but not one with the patience for such things. 
    I’ve got one of those as well. 
  • fishlessman
    Options

i find charcoal to be so laid back compared to these newer propane tanks with the automatic shutdown valves that shut down during lighting.  last time i had to disconnect the tank three times to get the burners to turn on high enough to cook
    fukahwee maine