Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Drip pans?

So I have seen some posts that refer to using a drip pan. I’ve been cooking on the egg for some time and have never used one. Is this just for catching drippings for sauces and what not, or are there other reasons to use one?

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    edited June 2019
    I use it so I don’t get bad smoke from fat hitting the plate setter, and the reason to elevate your pan with spacers so you don’t get the burn....also helps clean ups fro low and slow fatty proteins .....my 2 cents ....never use them on my offset or open pit
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    @Austin Eggheadshowed years ago that a drip pan, elevated off the setter, filled with root veggies under a spatched chicken or parts, chicken or turkey provides some great self basting sides. A $Store pizza pan wrapped in foil that fits inside the setter legs when setter is fee side up, elevated on some foil balls is a great drip catcher under ribs or other fatty indirect cooks. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    I have found that using a drip pan and adding a little moisture to the Egg when cooking poultry indirect allows for a better skin...especially with turkey.  The skin on turkey legs can turn to leather if you aren't careful.  The use of a drip pan filled with a little water helped solve this problem for me.  Also, as said above, it does prevent some of the nasty drippings and bad smoke off the plate setter.
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    I also throw a aluminum half buffet tray under anything that can drip.  I don't want all that fat in there.  You can get away with just some foil for a brisket, but a turkey or a pork butt lose a ton of fat.
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    I also throw a aluminum half buffet tray under anything that can drip.  I don't want all that fat in there.  You can get away with just some foil for a brisket, but a turkey or a pork butt lose a ton of fat.
    I didn’t think of that.  Thanks.  I’ve been looking for something that would fit on my ceramic stone for the R&B combo adjustable rig and that seems like it would fit perfectly.  
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    Agreed; I also use just foil on the PS when doing ribs, but I only do a rack or two at a time.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    edited June 2019
    I use a round, large aluminum cake pan I got at a restaurant store for the large. It fits in between the legs of the platesetter; essentially completely covering it. If I recall it was 18" and tapers down to roughly 17".  Also got the heavy duty, wide aluminum foil while there and use that to line the pan; makes clean up a breeze. I do the same with my small. For the mini, I haven't found a pan to fit; never really looked for a pan for it.
  • DWFII
    DWFII Posts: 317
    edited June 2019
    FWIW...I use a large clay flower pot saucer. And foil it...first on the bottom and then, before each cook on the top. 
    First, the foil is easily removed and the fat disposed of the next day.
    Second, particularly on low and slow cooks it is another ceramic heat sink...just like the body of your Egg. It helps to stabilize temps.
    I put it on my plate setter, sometimes with little mashed down balls of aluminum foil raising in up an inch or so.
    Bespoke boot and shoemaker--45+ years
    Instagram
  • ninnymugs
    ninnymugs Posts: 87
    Thanks all. Makes sense to me. Gonna do this for sure on my next slow fatty cook. 
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Those broiler pans that come with your oven work great as drip pans for the XL. Fully cover in foil and you've got easy clean up. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave