Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

CT’s Best Pork Ever Chops with a Twist

SV’d some chops that I hit heavily with S&P and added fresh Rosemary and Thyme at 135 for 1 1/2hrs.   Seared on the mini while basting with a honey/course mustard glaze.   

And plate with a fresh salad 

Taste and moistness was unreal.  I made the original version sans the SV and it was awesome.  This held its own against that version. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.

Comments

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    I’d hit that. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • 55Kevy
    55Kevy Posts: 234
    Love SV'd chops - so moist and tender.  Awsome looking plate.

Kevin

Beautiful Santa Ynez Valley, CA
    XL BGE, Woo2, AR

• bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,088
    Just ordered one of those SV thingy's.......
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,533
    Nice brother!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"

• Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Nicely done - looks delicious!! 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457

Glad you approve!   I love the original style but didn’t miss the brine stage with the SV 

analyze adapt overcome

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    I have done SV only a few times, and haven't yet been pleased.  According to all of the tables I studied, it doesn't look to me as though 135° for 1 1/2 hours would get 1" thick pork chops cooked completely.  I wound up cooking some for 140° for that long, and if they'd been 2" thick, it said they should cook for 2h at 140°.  No surprise that mine didn't seem super juicy or tender!

Can you refer me to a source that will help me really trust that 135° for only an hour and a half is really safe?  I would like to get better results, but I really want it to be safe.
  • Mattman3969

analyze adapt overcome

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    I will be using your idea soon. I have a thick pork chop in the freezer that needs this cooking method. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Mattman3969
    can’t wait to see what you come up with @SciAggie

analyze adapt overcome

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Edible. So edible. One of best uses of SV. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Ok, yesterday we got that gorgeous chimichurri chicken... today, this lovely chop. What's up for tomorrow?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• bgebrent
    Ok, yesterday we got that gorgeous chimichurri chicken... today, this lovely chop. What's up for tomorrow?
    Fried chicken?
  • bgebrent
    Egg on brothers. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    Theophan said:
    I have done SV only a few times, and haven't yet been pleased.  According to all of the tables I studied, it doesn't look to me as though 135° for 1 1/2 hours would get 1" thick pork chops cooked completely.  I wound up cooking some for 140° for that long, and if they'd been 2" thick, it said they should cook for 2h at 140°.  No surprise that mine didn't seem super juicy or tender!

Can you refer me to a source that will help me really trust that 135° for only an hour and a half is really safe?  I would like to get better results, but I really want it to be safe.
    This table will give you info regarding thickness and safety:
    As to what is the best time and temp beyond the question of safety only you can answer what appeals to you.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    Theophan said:

food safety allows meat to be under 140 for up to 4 hours, that includes room temp. it will get to 137 after the sear if you sear it from the sousvide to grill, 137 is safe for a pork chop
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Bravo!
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    HeavyG said:
    This table will give you info regarding thickness and safety:
    As to what is the best time and temp beyond the question of safety only you can answer what appeals to you.

food safety allows meat to be under 140 for up to 4 hours, that includes room temp. it will get to 137 after the sear if you sear it from the sousvide to grill, 137 is safe for a pork chop
    Thanks, @HeavyG.  That table was actually the one I have used -- it seems like that guy really knows what he's doing.  But... the reason for my question was that @Mattman3969 sous vided it at 135° for 1.5 hours, but that table says it would have to be in the bath at that temp for 2h if they were an inch thick.  I can't tell from the picture, but they look nice and thick.

And @fishlessman, you probably know more about it than I, but what I find is that for normal cooking, pork should be 145° with a 3-minute rest to be safe, and with sous vide, again the table says at 135° a 1" chop needs 2h to be safe.   I bet it's juicier at the lower temperature, and that's what I want, but I'm an old guy, and food poisoning can kill people like me, and it ain't a nice way to go...

I'll try it again, one of these days, but I was hoping for a really tender, really moist pork chop, and I measured the thickness and followed that table, but it really wasn't any more tender or moist than most pork chops I cook the usual ways.  I was so disappointed I've never tried it again.
  • Mattman3969
    @Theophan - you should try the original version that included the brine. 

analyze adapt overcome

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Great job.  You killed it.  Well, the butcher killed it, but you did a great job on that cook.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95