Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

CT’s Best Pork Ever Chops with a Twist

SV’d some chops that I hit heavily with S&P and added fresh Rosemary and Thyme at 135 for 1 1/2hrs.   Seared on the mini while basting with a honey/course mustard glaze.   

And plate with a fresh salad 

Taste and moistness was unreal.  I made the original version sans the SV and it was awesome.  This held its own against that version. 

-----------------------------------------

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.

Comments

• dmchicagodmchicago Posts: 1,631
    I’d hit that. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • 55Kevy55Kevy Posts: 181
    Love SV'd chops - so moist and tender.  Awsome looking plate.

Kevin

Beautiful Santa Ynez Valley, CA
    XL BGE, Woo2, AR

• bubbajackbubbajack Posts: 277
    Just ordered one of those SV thingy's.......
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,L,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc.
  • JohnnyTarheelJohnnyTarheel Posts: 5,834
    Nice brother!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • pgprescottpgprescott Posts: 11,989
    Yep
  • The Cen-Tex SmokerThe Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 19,229

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX
  • mEGG_My_DaymEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,275
    Nicely done - looks delicious!! 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet, (Akron was gifted to a friend)
  • Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 8,858

Glad you approve!   I love the original style but didn’t miss the brine stage with the SV 

• TheophanTheophan Posts: 2,509
    I have done SV only a few times, and haven't yet been pleased.  According to all of the tables I studied, it doesn't look to me as though 135° for 1 1/2 hours would get 1" thick pork chops cooked completely.  I wound up cooking some for 140° for that long, and if they'd been 2" thick, it said they should cook for 2h at 140°.  No surprise that mine didn't seem super juicy or tender!

Can you refer me to a source that will help me really trust that 135° for only an hour and a half is really safe?  I would like to get better results, but I really want it to be safe.

• SciAggieSciAggie Posts: 3,852
    I will be using your idea soon. I have a thick pork chop in the freezer that needs this cooking method. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven.
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
    can’t wait to see what you come up with @SciAggie ;

• bgebrentbgebrent Posts: 19,311
    Edible. So edible. One of best uses of SV. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 13,910
    Ok, yesterday we got that gorgeous chimichurri chicken... today, this lovely chop. What's up for tomorrow?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!

…Unknown

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

Ok, yesterday we got that gorgeous chimichurri chicken... today, this lovely chop. What's up for tomorrow?
    Fried chicken?
    Egg on brothers. 
  • HeavyGHeavyG Posts: 6,192
    Theophan said:
    I have done SV only a few times, and haven't yet been pleased.  According to all of the tables I studied, it doesn't look to me as though 135° for 1 1/2 hours would get 1" thick pork chops cooked completely.  I wound up cooking some for 140° for that long, and if they'd been 2" thick, it said they should cook for 2h at 140°.  No surprise that mine didn't seem super juicy or tender!

Can you refer me to a source that will help me really trust that 135° for only an hour and a half is really safe?  I would like to get better results, but I really want it to be safe.
    This table will give you info regarding thickness and safety:
    As to what is the best time and temp beyond the question of safety only you can answer what appeals to you.

Camped out in the (757/804)
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 24,731
    Theophan said:

food safety allows meat to be under 140 for up to 4 hours, that includes room temp. it will get to 137 after the sear if you sear it from the sousvide to grill, 137 is safe for a pork chop
  • CPARKTXCPARKTX Posts: 2,047
    Bravo!
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • TheophanTheophan Posts: 2,509
    HeavyG said:
    This table will give you info regarding thickness and safety:
    As to what is the best time and temp beyond the question of safety only you can answer what appeals to you.

food safety allows meat to be under 140 for up to 4 hours, that includes room temp. it will get to 137 after the sear if you sear it from the sousvide to grill, 137 is safe for a pork chop
    Thanks, @HeavyG.  That table was actually the one I have used -- it seems like that guy really knows what he's doing.  But... the reason for my question was that @Mattman3969 sous vided it at 135° for 1.5 hours, but that table says it would have to be in the bath at that temp for 2h if they were an inch thick.  I can't tell from the picture, but they look nice and thick.

And @fishlessman, you probably know more about it than I, but what I find is that for normal cooking, pork should be 145° with a 3-minute rest to be safe, and with sous vide, again the table says at 135° a 1" chop needs 2h to be safe.   I bet it's juicier at the lower temperature, and that's what I want, but I'm an old guy, and food poisoning can kill people like me, and it ain't a nice way to go...

I'll try it again, one of these days, but I was hoping for a really tender, really moist pork chop, and I measured the thickness and followed that table, but it really wasn't any more tender or moist than most pork chops I cook the usual ways.  I was so disappointed I've never tried it again.
    @Theophan - you should try the original version that included the brine. 

• thetrimthetrim Posts: 8,665
    Great job.  You killed it.  Well, the butcher killed it, but you did a great job on that cook.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95