Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: 75th Anniversary

CTMike
CTMike Posts: 3,247
edited June 2019 in Off Topic
Today marks the 75th anniversary of the D-Day invasions at Normandy. My wife and I spent 10 days touring the area back in 2009. Very humbling to be standing on Omaha Beach, Le Pointe du Hoc, and the Bois Jacques woods and think about what those young men went through to stem the rise of fascism. 

I took this photo at the cemetery of Omaha Beach, T/Sgt Peregory was awarded the Medal of Honor for his actions a few days after the landings. Sadly he was killed in further action a few days later. His MOH Citation is a testament to why they are called the greatest generation.

https://themedalofhonor.com/medal-of-honor-recipients/recipients/peregory-frank-world-war-two

Foxholes still exist in the Bois Jacques outside of Foy (Band Of Brothers winter scene in the foxholes). I can’t imagine the terror as the trees around you are exploding.

We met Cpl. Joe Cannon in St Mere Eglise (think Red Buttons in The Longest Day hanging from the church steeple where his parachute was caught). Joe came ashore with the 3rd wave at Utah Beach and was retracing his footsteps with a friend:

This monument at Le Pointe du Hoc is in remembrance of the Rangers who climbed those cliffs under withering fire. The monument symbolizes the Ranger dagger.

Love him or hate him, President Reagan gave a hell of a speech. This was in June 6th, 1984 at Le Pointe du Hoc:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CTLVIp1AjAg

If if you are able, I highly recommend going to Normandy and Belgium and visiting some of these places. The underground museum/visitor center at the American Cemetery at Omaha Beach is simply incredible.

My hat is off to The Greatest Generation, without which our country would most likely be speaking German or Japanese.

MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
Southeastern CT. 

Comments