Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavorℱ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Oh my... a Big Blue Egg?🙀

2 weeks ago I made one of my journeys to Costco. My mission was to buy lots of protein... beef, pork, chicken and sea food. 

However I always stroll through the BBQ display if they have one. I rarely buy grills or smokers there. I bought my Large (18”) Big Green Egg 6 years ago and have been very happy with it and my 26” Weber Kettle. I figured I was pretty well set with those 2 outdoor cookers.

Then I noticed this Big Blue Egg sitting there on display... a 24”er...🙀 They are manufacturered by Louisiana-Grills-Kamado. I inspected ever single detail on that Big blue cooker comparing it to my large BGE. I got to looking at those extra 6” of cooking space... thinking I’ll never have to trim a rack of ribs off a little bit or trim off a big brisket. Then I looked at the 2-20” grates it came with thinking about how much more food I could fit in it. 

After a complete inspection of the vents, ceramics and interior set up I got to thinking it would really be nice to have this bigger cooker. The price on this high quality 24” ceramic cooker... $599.😁

Then I got to thinking I ought to sell my BGE first just so I would have a place to put it once I got it home. Then I thought what if they no longer have them after I sell the BGE? Dilemma...😏 So I bought it right on the spot! I took it home, left it in the box, and put it in my storage shed until I sold the BGE. 

I was shocked to see a high quality 24” Kamado for $599. If you look that item up on Costco Online... the price is $899. Lowe’s has the same item in a different color, black, for $899 too. Why Costco’s In store price was/is $300 less than their website price... I have no idea. 

Anyway... I sold my large BGE and the wooden table I had it in for $699.đŸ€—.  So I’ve got a newer bigger Kamado cooker and an extra $100.👍

Comments

• lentsboy007
    lentsboy007 Posts: 416
    edited May 2019
    I expect this post to be deleted by the powers that be hahah 

is the top vent plastic ? Not that one detail like that wouldn’t make it worth the cheaper price 

1 Large Egg, Blackstone griddle

Belgium...........The Netherlands??

• Large&Mini BGEs:  HeaterMeter w/Roto Damper, Thermapen, ET-733, CI Woo&Spider
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    What's the warranty on parts? That's one of the strengths of the BGE (and KJ too).

#1 LBGE December 2012 ‱ #2 SBGE February  2013 ‱ #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    caliking said:
    What's the warranty on parts? That's one of the strengths of the BGE (and KJ too).
    Agree, ceramic will break. When your base cracks, besides a return to Costco who will not have a replacement grill, what are your options?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    It looks really nice. I have had the same thoughts. Warranty is 5 years...so that is a downside...but then again it is Costco so you can just return it with your 5 year old Christmas tree. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Congrats on the purchase. If you enjoy it that is all that matters. The extra room will be nice. Keep posting some cooks on it. I'm interested to see what your thought are on it once you have some more cooks under your belt with it. Enjoy!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    It looks really nice. I have had the same thoughts. Warranty is 5 years...so that is a downside...but then again it is Costco so you can just return it with your 5 year old Christmas tree. 
    5 years of what? What is the 5 year manufacturers warranty process?
    Agree that the initial purchase price is great.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @HogHeaven
    Congratulations on Big Blue. Enjoy it my friend.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    You need a second one to set right beside it.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    All in what brings home the goods.  Well-played in my book.  Hopefully you will master it as you did your BGE and all will be well.  Way to jump on the window of opportunity for it is only open for an unknown period of time.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • caliking
     S/He who dies with the most cookers... Wins!

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    caliking said:
    It’s got the Costco lifetime satisfaction guarantee. We covered this in the Christmas tree thread. 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    caliking said:
    I see the joke was too subtle. Visualize what it would look like.
  • caliking said:

• littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    You are set with that cooker and the Weber kettle.  Can cook about anything with that combo.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    caliking said:
    @badinfluence already won that contest :(
    Miss him.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,944
    bgebrent said:
    caliking said:
    @badinfluence already won that contest :(
    Miss him.
    Same here, he was a good dude.  I still have the MM I got from him.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • caliking
    caliking said:
     And now I got it ! :lightbulb:

• HogHeaven
    HogHeaven Posts: 326
    edited May 2019
    Having used my LBGE for 6 years and knowing the common characteristics of ceramic cookers I thought the ceramics on this cooker are comparable to my BGE. The only problem I ever had with the BGE was a cracked firebox. I cook lots of Neapolitan pizza at 800°.

The top vent... metal not plastic. Superior to the daisy wheel that is standard equipment with the BGE. I got rid of the daisy wheel years ago in favor of the Smokeware top vent. This top vent is so simple... 1, 2, 3 or 4.đŸ€—

The spring loaded hinge on the dome... superior to the BGE hinge. 

All of the Crome is 304 stainless steel including the 2 grate setup. It includes the heat deflector, BGE does not. 

Warranty... 
    In addition to your Costco Concierge Warranty, if you make your purchase with your Costco Anywhere Visa Card, Costco Anywhere Visa Business Card or Costco credit card reward certificate, Citi will extend your manufacturer’s warranty for an additional 2 years from the date the Costco Concierge Warranty expires for total coverage up to a maximum of 7 years from the purchase date. You’re covered for up to $10,000 per item*.

Bottom line... a high quality 24” Ceramic cooker for only $599 with the stand and a free cover... SHOCKING to me! I’m glad I saw it and bought it.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    Just me being an anal-retentive, OCD engineer, but your drip pan is 90Âș off from your roast...   ;)

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• HogHeaven
    HogHeaven Posts: 326
    edited May 2019

Based on the angle of the photograph... you could be correct.đŸ€”   However in view of the fact that the roast was NOT overreaching the width of the drip pan at any direction all was good. I didn’t want to dirty up my heat deflector on my very first cook.😬

The Chuckie roast was tremendous...👅
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    That makes this a great deal.

Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    I think they’ll honor the price for 30 days if you bring in your receipt.
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • SSQUAL612 said:
    That makes this a great deal.

Holy crap that is cheap. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    I'm cool with this cooker, I think its a great value, and my friend that has one, loves it.  What I don't get, is how they advertise 24"?  Every charcoal grill cooker I have ever seen measures the cooker by the cooking grate diameter, not the diameter of the cooker.  This is actually slightly larger than a large egg, not comparable to the XL that the 24" diameter would suggest.
  • what is that dohicky right behind the handle?  looks like knuckle buster  :|
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    what is that dohicky right behind the handle?  looks like knuckle buster  :|
    I believe it pushes against the shock below if the dome is accidentally dropped when opened. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota