Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-What are you buying right now?

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    The battery that comes with a GM vehicle or is replaced under warranty is covered by the limited warranty of three years or 36,000 miles (48 months/4 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first, for Cadillac and Buick) and should be taken back to the GM dealership.Feb 11, 2015

No way, people bring dogs to dealerships.
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,416
    That’s my luck....after an 11 hour work day I didn’t exactly have time to go to the dealership. Maybe (but I doubt) they’ll reimburse me 
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    @SGH - isn't it a chore to drop a deuce wearing those overalls?  Or do you have the flap in the back?
    I don't picture @SGH as the back-door-trap-door type?
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104

You probably won’t get reimbursed. Dealer should replace under warranty, less months in service (prorated).

• lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    Cocaine and hookers!

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    edited May 2019
    Okay, I bought these last week, but today I had new wheels put onto my car, with less than 9,000 miles on Her.  The story:
    Drove home to Sioux Falls to help Mom with springtime stuff.  Wyoming I-80, just east of Rock Springs, was in terrible shape and I slowed down to the posted speed limit while negotiating the potholes.  But I was stupidly following a semi too close, and when changing lanes didn't see the Mother Of All Potholes until too late (we all have these, don't we? A split-second in our lives that we SOO want to live over, please???)  BANG!
    Car immediately started vibrating, and I pulled off the road.  Couldn't see any damage to the rims (driver's side) and looked at the inside, after pulling forward a bit twice, couldn't see any damage to the inside rims either.  Had a good cry, considered going back home, decided to press on to Sioux Falls.  Got into SF Audi at 3:00 Fri, they said they couldn't see any damage and balanced the two wheels, said it required quite a few weights.  Didn't fix the vibration, but felt it was safe to drive home on Mon/Tues.  No idea how much damage I did to the car in general via over 1K miles of vibration, damn.
    Ordered two new tires from Goodyear dealership here at home, they began mounting them but then showed me that both wheels were bent badly.  Why the SF Audi dealer couldn't see this on the machine (it was obvious) says something.  They didn't charge me anything.
    I hated the "premium" wheels that came with the car, and for just a couple hundred more I decided to replace all four wheels with my preferred style, rather than just the two "premiums".  Whaddya think?

The really good news is that the vibration is totally gone, so I'm hoping there has been no damage to the tires nor the drivetrain.  Oof-dah.

And a final question:  have any of you had aluminum wheels successfully repaired?  There's a couple places that advertise they can, but re-bending aluminum doesn't sit well with me.  Any stories or history?  Thanks in advance.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Botch said:
    Okay, I bought these last week, but today I had new wheels put onto my car, with less than 9,000 miles on Her.  The story:
    Drove home to Sioux Falls to help Mom with springtime stuff.  Wyoming I-80, just east of Rock Springs, was in terrible shape and I slowed down to the posted speed limit while negotiating the potholes.  But I was stupidly following a semi too close, and when changing lanes didn't see the Mother Of All Potholes until too late (we all have these, don't we? A split-second in our lives that we SOO want to live over, please???)  BANG!
    Car immediately started vibrating, and I pulled off the road.  Couldn't see any damage to the rims (driver's side) and looked at the inside, after pulling forward a bit twice, couldn't see any damage to the inside rims either.  Had a good cry, considered going back home, decided to press on to Sioux Falls.  Got into SF Audi at 3:00 Fri, they said they couldn't see any damage and balanced the two wheels, said it required quite a few weights.  Didn't fix the vibration, but felt it was safe to drive home on Mon/Tues.  No idea how much damage I did to the car in general via over 1K miles of vibration, damn.
    Ordered two new tires from Goodyear dealership here at home, they began mounting them but then showed me that both wheels were bent badly.  Why the SF Audi dealer couldn't see this on the machine (it was obvious) says something.  They didn't charge me anything.
    I hated the "premium" wheels that came with the car, and for just a couple hundred more I decided to replace all four wheels with my preferred style, rather than just the two "premiums".  Whaddya think?

The really good news is that the vibration is totally gone, so I'm hoping there has been no damage to the tires nor the drivetrain.  Oof-dah.

And a final question:  have any of you had aluminum wheels successfully repaired?  There's a couple places that advertise they can, but re-bending aluminum doesn't sit well with me.  Any stories or history?  Thanks in advance.  
    A new episode of the tv show "Wheeler Dealers" just last week had a bit on the repair of some old aluminum wheels. The wheels (from an old Mazda RX7) they took into a specialized shop was able to completely refurb and unbend/make round. They used some applied heat (and some other techniques the shop would not allow to be filmed) and then turned the wheels on a lathe so the diameters were spot on. Took a bit of work (a lot of stripping/sanding/painting) but they looked fantastic. If I remember correctly the cost of the repairs/refurb was $700 for the set.
    The show is set in LA area so lots of specialized car shops there. Might be tougher to find a local shop that can, or would, do that type of repair.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296

It’s so common on VWs that they offer you special wheel insurance during the sale. Give me old time tires with steel rims any day.

• NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    I don’t know that I’d be comfortable with the heat treatment; could change the strength of the wheel (think tempering)
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • Woadie
    Woadie Posts: 154
    Just bought the new Mizuno Jax 919 hot metal pros.  First set of irons  in 20yrs.  
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    @Botch I did 3 wheels on my BMW, front right with one pothole and both left a while later on a hole / broken edge on a local lane. I had them straightened and they were OK, but always still had a slight vibration. I ended up with a set of 4 wheels off a later model of the same car with only 3000 miles on them, with tyres for £600. The guy who sold them was buying bigger rims! $9000 seems a lot, the 17" M wheels I have are about £500 each from BMW although I guess 19" would be quite a bit more.
  • CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,859
    Eoin said:
    @Botch I did 3 wheels on my BMW, front right with one pothole and both left a while later on a hole / broken edge on a local lane. I had them straightened and they were OK, but always still had a slight vibration. I ended up with a set of 4 wheels off a later model of the same car with only 3000 miles on them, with tyres for £600. The guy who sold them was buying bigger rims! $9000 seems a lot, the 17" M wheels I have are about £500 each from BMW although I guess 19" would be quite a bit more.
    I discovered, to my cost, that BMWs are very sensitive to tyre choice.  Driving my old 1 series (a 56 plater) was much better when I went to Toyo's. Otherwise the steering felt like it was stuck in tram tracks.   I had a front alloy bent and 'straightened', no problem on it too. 

The X3 can only be driven with factory fit tyres (Dunlop SP), otherwise the diff' whines and there's massive drivetrain clonking when pulling away.  It came with a new set of some other brand and I ended up £650 down after a couple of months.    To be fair, SWMBO's DS3 was transformed when I put Avon's on the front end - perhaps most cars are fickle that way, too?

Wheeler Dealers. Two distinct camps on the car forums about that show.  I liked Edd and now Ant/Kevin Pietersen  (something for the ladies and some chaps to look at). Struggle with Mike - 100% shyster just below the TV persona. 
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    Eoin said:
    Yowch, that's 3 times what mine were (also 19"s)!  The fact that you still had a bit of vibration reassures me a bit, buying the new wheels.  I might try to straighten the two old ones and throw snowtires on them, although I have an old truck w/snow tires that I use in the wintertime; not quite sure what I'll end up doing.  
    My Goodyear dealer also sells wheels (in fact I bought four from them for my last Saab) but they recommended not going aftermarket on the BMW/MB/Audis, he said they've had more problems than its worth; he lost a sale telling me that, so I trust him (been using them for years anyway).  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Bought a new dryer last week, and heading out shortly for a new dishwasher.  Let the good times roll!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    When I bought my Cayman, it had 27K miles on it and a YUGE vibration in the back.  I had the car checked out with Porsche before I bought it and they said one rim was bent.

Anyway, took the tyre off the rim and brought it to my buddy's shop.  Brien Maver - he might be the best technical welder in the city, learned working at Martin Marietta on exotic alloys.

I digress.  Back to the rims.  Anyway, we put the wheel on a balancer to see what was going on.  Marked it up with a crayon and put it on a carpet.  Brien said, "this ain't gonna be pretty but trust me, it will either straighten out or break."  He stands on the rim, on the carpet and starts swinging a huge sledgehammer and beating the rim back out.  I was thinking "oh my f*ckin' god...".  But it straightened out. 

No charge because he's a friend.   He did some other work for me on my steam-punk bike fabricating the tanks, fenders, cantilever seat post, etc.

Fast forward 4 years.  3 of 4 of my rims are out of round.  These 19" rims are $2k each if I bought them from Porsche, can find used for a lot less.  Anyway, my strategy is to buy a second set of rims, then take my time straightening out the stock rims.

The stock rims are super-light...that and New Orleans moon-crater roads just don't work together forever, regardless of how careful you are playing frogger avoiding cracks and holes.

So I bought a second set of rims, got some new tyres for them...kind of excited because these tyres are fairly "cheap" so the car should be a bit more eager to slide.  Super high performance sticky tyres stifle your ability to learn to drive better.  You just get scared before they break loose on city driving and you want them to break loose.

I got the new rims painted.  Have had some trouble with the TPMS modules, but I think I have that resolved.  I'm going to go out and get the tyres mounted today, I think.  I've been waiting on wearing out my current tires before switching over, but I can get them mounted now, why not?

Anyway, I will straighten out all the stock rims once I'm switched over, will probably give them some finishing work and new paint while they're off.  And new TPMS monitors, although they're all fine right now.

Fixing and straightening rims is nothing to be afraid of.  Racers do it all the time.  Usually that rim will break when it's being straightened if it's going to break at all.  Just have someone reputable do it.  If there are any cracks afterwards, it's going to need some welding or be discarded.

If you hit an obstacle hard enough for the rim to get hit, you usually get a blow out.  That's no less dangerous than a rim breaking.  So what do you have to loose? 
    When I bought my Cayman, it had 27K miles on it and a YUGE vibration in the back.  I had the car checked out with Porsche before I bought it and they said one rim was bent.

Anyway, took the tyre off the rim and brought it to my buddy's shop.  Brien Maver - he might be the best technical welder in the city, learned working at Martin Marietta on exotic alloys.

I digress.  Back to the rims.  Anyway, we put the wheel on a balancer to see what was going on.  Marked it up with a crayon and put it on a carpet.  Brien said, "this ain't gonna be pretty but trust me, it will either straighten out or break."  He stands on the rim, on the carpet and starts swinging a huge sledgehammer and beating the rim back out.  I was thinking "oh my f*ckin' god...".  But it straightened out. 

No charge because he's a friend.   He did some other work for me on my steam-punk bike fabricating the tanks, fenders, cantilever seat post, etc.

Fast forward 4 years.  3 of 4 of my rims are out of round.  These 19" rims are $2k each if I bought them from Porsche, can find used for a lot less.  Anyway, my strategy is to buy a second set of rims, then take my time straightening out the stock rims.

The stock rims are super-light...that and New Orleans moon-crater roads just don't work together forever, regardless of how careful you are playing frogger avoiding cracks and holes.

So I bought a second set of rims, got some new tyres for them...kind of excited because these tyres are fairly "cheap" so the car should be a bit more eager to slide.  Super high performance sticky tyres stifle your ability to learn to drive better.  You just get scared before they break loose on city driving and you want them to break loose.

I got the new rims painted.  Have had some trouble with the TPMS modules, but I think I have that resolved.  I'm going to go out and get the tyres mounted today, I think.  I've been waiting on wearing out my current tires before switching over, but I can get them mounted now, why not?

Anyway, I will straighten out all the stock rims once I'm switched over, will probably give them some finishing work and new paint while they're off.  And new TPMS monitors, although they're all fine right now.

Fixing and straightening rims is nothing to be afraid of.  Racers do it all the time.  Usually that rim will break when it's being straightened if it's going to break at all.  Just have someone reputable do it.  If there are any cracks afterwards, it's going to need some welding or be discarded.

If you hit an obstacle hard enough for the rim to get hit, you usually get a blow out.  That's no less dangerous than a rim breaking.  So what do you have to loose? 
    Ok. All I saw there was stream-punk bike.  Please direct me to numerous photos. Now please. 
  • nolaegghead

I can't find any decent pics.  I'll be at the shop later and will take some.
    Basically I took an old SX650 frame, chopped the back off and welded on a hard tail.  Bought new rims and spokes, powder coated them and assembled (a royal ****).  Buddy fabricated some aluminum stuff.  Have a bunch of parts like hydraulics to put on.  Need to figure out the pipes

Basically I took an old SX650 frame, chopped the back off and welded on a hard tail.  Bought new rims and spokes, powder coated them and assembled (a royal ****).  Buddy fabricated some aluminum stuff.  Have a bunch of parts like hydraulics to put on.  Need to figure out the pipes

Good work my friend. I want to see cogs, pipes, pulley the full works 😁Got yourself some goggles and a top hat? 
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    CPFC1905 said:
    Eoin said:
    I discovered, to my cost, that BMWs are very sensitive to tyre choice.  Driving my old 1 series (a 56 plater) was much better when I went to Toyo's. Otherwise the steering felt like it was stuck in tram tracks.   I had a front alloy bent and 'straightened', no problem on it too. 

The X3 can only be driven with factory fit tyres (Dunlop SP), otherwise the diff' whines and there's massive drivetrain clonking when pulling away.  It came with a new set of some other brand and I ended up £650 down after a couple of months.    To be fair, SWMBO's DS3 was transformed when I put Avon's on the front end - perhaps most cars are fickle that way, too?

Wheeler Dealers. Two distinct camps on the car forums about that show.  I liked Edd and now Ant/Kevin Pietersen  (something for the ladies and some chaps to look at). Struggle with Mike - 100% shyster just below the TV persona. 
    Edd was on R4 this morning, got a book out.
  • acolle
    acolle Posts: 133
    I'm just about to land a deal on a used Four Wheel (pop-up) Camper. Can't wait to use it this summer.
    Moved from upper left to Denver, CO | BGE LG & MMX + Kotaigrill [Hibachi]
  • MCRyan
    MCRyan Posts: 167

New Yeti 45.  Good Match with my 65 that has been bulletproof.  Figured a smaller one will be a nice addition.  Plus, Academy had it $50 off.   Nice!
    XLBGE, SS table
    McKinney, TX.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    edited May 2019
    Leupold 3-9x40 mm Matte Mil Dot. Still got to decide on the mount. To be used with a Ruger  Predator in 6.5 Creedmore.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Rockwell 6S. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Just placed an order for some shaving soap and a few pair of overalls.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    Just ordered a Creekstone Farms brisket-first time with their brisket offering. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead