Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Minimax, Small, or Medium?

Comments

• builderdawg
    builderdawg Posts: 105
    What's your deck/patio/table situation?

I just had a customer buy the minimax over a small or Joe Jr. because he wanted to set it on top of a table.  The Joe Jr would either sit too low on the ground, or too high on the table, and he didn't want to mess with a seperate nest for a small.  So the MiniMax was the way to go since it was the perfect height, and he could just set it on the ground if he needed table space.  Plus if you ever want to take it along, the MMX is easier than the Joe Jr or Small for transport.

As someone else said, get the CGS Woo set up with stone for the small or minimax........the plate setter for these kind of sucks.  Woo gives you a lot of options, especially for raised direct.
    That is exactly my situation. I have a large and a mini-max. I went with the mini-max over the small so I could sit it on a table top. I don’t have a Convector for the mini-max, but i just use the woo with stone and it works great. 
  • What's your deck/patio/table situation?

I just had a customer buy the minimax over a small or Joe Jr. because he wanted to set it on top of a table.  The Joe Jr would either sit too low on the ground, or too high on the table, and he didn't want to mess with a seperate nest for a small.  So the MiniMax was the way to go since it was the perfect height, and he could just set it on the ground if he needed table space.  Plus if you ever want to take it along, the MMX is easier than the Joe Jr or Small for transport.

As someone else said, get the CGS Woo set up with stone for the small or minimax........the plate setter for these kind of sucks.  Woo gives you a lot of options, especially for raised direct.
    That is exactly my situation. I have a large and a mini-max. I went with the mini-max over the small so I could sit it on a table top. I don’t have a Convector for the mini-max, but i just use the woo with stone and it works great. 
    Thanks!
  • I thought the exact same thing, I also have a XL and bought a mini.. don't really use the mini anymore since I found these angle brackets at the fine folks at CGS:
    https://ceramicgrillstore.com/collections/big-green-egg-xl-accessories-by-ceramic-grill-store/products/xl-ang-l-brackets-pair-bge

So last night I cooked a pork butt with a full load of Rockwood, tonight I'm cooking steaks, I took the leftover charcoal from last night and moved it to the side and put the angles up.... Truth be told with the leftover lump from tonight I can easily cook another time. Another thing to consider is by doing it this way you skip the VOC cookoff time. I tend to agree with @stlcharcoal and his thoughts, although I'm a big fan of the XL... eh... he probably drinks Pepsi though... Hey it's Friday, I have to throw one jab in :) 
    The brackets seem pretty neat. I haven’t heard of them until now, thanks! I reuse lump all the time, but it seems that my XL burns a lot of it up during the shut down / cool down process. If I start a full load and run it for an hour and then shut down, I usually have around half a load left the next day.
  • I use my Small way more than my Large.  But there are only two of us in my house. I also recommend the CGS woo and stone. 
    Thanks, a lot of times we just want to grill a piece of salmon or a hockey for salads and end up cooking in a cast iron pan in the house because of time constraints. I’d like to Egg more often!
  • I use my XL a lot, but thought something smaller wood heat up / cool down quicker with less fuel consumption. Am I wrong in this assumption? A large wouldn’t do me any good, I’m thinking medium or smaller for quick cooks of brats, burgers, steaks, etc... The XL is great for large meals but 3 brats or steaks seems like a waste at times.
    I love having more eggs, I use my minimax all the time for side dishes on weekends or mid week cooks and I like being able to take it places. 

If I was in your spot, I would copy @Jeremiah and get a small and modify the Minimax nest for the best of both 

• YukonRon said:
    Buy all three.
    That’s a thought! Considering the executive decision maker at the home front gave a lot of eye rolls during and after the initial purchase a few years back, I will likely have to proceed with caution! 
  • I use my Small way more than my Large.  But there are only two of us in my house. I also recommend the CGS woo and stone. 
    Thanks, a lot of times we just want to grill a piece of salmon or chicken for salads and end up cooking in a cast iron pan in the house because of time constraints. I’d like to Egg more often!

• I use my XL a lot, but thought something smaller wood heat up / cool down quicker with less fuel consumption. Am I wrong in this assumption? A large wouldn’t do me any good, I’m thinking medium or smaller for quick cooks of brats, burgers, steaks, etc... The XL is great for large meals but 3 brats or steaks seems like a waste at times.
    I love having more eggs, I use my minimax all the time for side dishes on weekends or mid week cooks and I like being able to take it places. 

If I was in your spot, I would copy @Jeremiah and get a small and modify the Minimax nest for the best of both 

That’s a great idea! I will have to look up his modification. Thanks!

That’s a great idea! I will have to look up his modification. Thanks!
    Fully admit I wish I had thought of this 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited May 2019
    I just bought the minimax because I wanted semi portability.  If I wouldnt have bought that I would have bought a small. Same grid size but the small is just a bit deeper giving you a little more clearance for lump, extra airflow. mine will be used by my 8 year old son to learn to cook on and for small cooks and searing.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• I just bought the minimax because I wanted semi portability.  If I wouldnt have bought that I would have bought a small. Same grid size but the small is just a bit deeper giving you a little more clearance for lump, extra airflow.
    Thanks! I’m still trying to justify what to get and won’t be buying right away, but want to plan for it in my kitchen build. I still may do a minimax on a table (countertop) and just put it away when not in use. I was thinking the small for the reasons you listed above and the medium in case we have some folks over, but I can always fire up the XL for that!
  • Calmdowneight
    Calmdowneight Posts: 25
    edited May 2019
    I am also intrigued by the firebox dividing angles listed earlier that would presumably make it a little faster to light the XL for quick cooks. Decisions, decisions?
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    I enjoy my Mini Max. I do move it occasionally. I often use it as a “side burner” and stir fry on it or cook in a skillet. I have never used a small, but I think if I were not needing the portability I might prefer the small just because there is a tad more room below the grate. Arm chair thinking for sure, but that’s my two cents worth. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie said:
    I enjoy my Mini Max. I do move it occasionally. I often use it as a “side burner” and stir fry on it or cook in a skillet. I have never used a small, but I think if I were not needing the portability I might prefer the small just because there is a tad more room below the grate. Arm chair thinking for sure, but that’s my two cents worth. 
    Thanks! I believe I am going to look for a small or medium, whichever I can get a good deal on. This way I can still cook for 5 or 6 if needed, do quick hot dogs, chicken breast etc... I am still going to look into the dividers for the lump in the XL because my old Weber Jumbo Joe had this option with the coal baskets and it was nice.
  • EGGHEAD83
    EGGHEAD83 Posts: 61
    I’ve got a large/small combo and use the small most of the time since purchasing it. I cook for a family of 4 and never have any problems with space. 12lb pork butts also fit without any problems. Definitely check out the CGS woo, stone and drip pan set up with some ceramic spacers which are also Available from Tom. I picked up a spider also just for added flexibility. I prefer the small over the minimax any day. I’ve cooked on both versions of minimax and just don’t like how shallow the fire box is. The small heats up and cools down very fast and practical makes lump. Hope this helps. 
    Large BGE, small BGE, 2-22” Weber kettles, 26” Weber kettle, Weber jumbo joe, 14” WSM, 17” BS and 36” BS. Hope Mills, NC. USA. 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Since it is going to be table mounted I would go with a medium.
  • PoppasGrill
    PoppasGrill Posts: 355
    I have a medium, the only issue is that there are few accessories for it. 
  • EGGHEAD83 said:
    I’ve got a large/small combo and use the small most of the time since purchasing it. I cook for a family of 4 and never have any problems with space. 12lb pork butts also fit without any problems. Definitely check out the CGS woo, stone and drip pan set up with some ceramic spacers which are also Available from Tom. I picked up a spider also just for added flexibility. I prefer the small over the minimax any day. I’ve cooked on both versions of minimax and just don’t like how shallow the fire box is. The small heats up and cools down very fast and practical makes lump. Hope this helps. 
    That helps a lot and thanks! Holds more than 4 burgers I see!
  • EGGHEAD83
    EGGHEAD83 Posts: 61
    Glad I could help. The small is a real work horse. 
    Large BGE, small BGE, 2-22” Weber kettles, 26” Weber kettle, Weber jumbo joe, 14” WSM, 17” BS and 36” BS. Hope Mills, NC. USA. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Logic is on the side of a medium or MM. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    bgebrent said:
    I must confess that I can't find any reason to side with your logic.  Of course I have a SBGE and won't comment on the rigs I don't own.
    But if asked, SBGE all the way for all the positives sited above!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bgebrent
    lousubcap said:
    bgebrent said:
    I must confess that I can't find any reason to side with your logic.  Of course I have a SBGE and won't comment on the rigs I don't own.
    #illogical😉
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,024
    bgebrent said:
    lousubcap said:
    bgebrent said:
    #illogical😉

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    lousubcap said:
    bgebrent said:
    I’ve got to go with Cap on this one especially if portability isn’t a concern but if portability is a concern  I’d recommend the mini over the mm any day.  Back to my original response before I sidetracked myself.  The small has way more lump capacity than the mini max.  This means longer uninterrupted cooks without refueling.  When using the Woo you get a better raised direct cook when you want to smoke or bake. 

I guess I’m partial to the small because I have one and if I want a cute lil cooker I have my mini that will cook a load of food if used correctly.   

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • bgebrent
    How many 16# briskets or 2 babyback racks fit on that?  My only point. Must be I’m hungrier than you😁
  • Mattman3969
    Same amount as your MM but I can go longer before I have to refuel.   Just sayin...  

analyze adapt overcome

• bgebrent
    Same amount as your MM but I can go longer before I have to refuel.   Just sayin...  
    I suggest a duel 🤣
  • Mattman3969
    bgebrent said:
    what is the logic ?   Maybe I need a medium because I already have the adult size mm. 😎

analyze adapt overcome

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    Buy them all. especially the medium. 

This pic makes me laugh every time I post it. So ridiculous. But it’s fun playing with the different sizes.