Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PSA- Aaron Franklin Masterclass

Options
I have a Masterclass account and just got an email saying Ay-Ay-Ron himself has created a Masterclass. I looked and it’s up and ready to roll. I’ll watch it this week and post my thoughts here. 

We have gotten some decent use from Masterclass and this will add to that. I would say that it is slightly in the win column on the “is it worth it” query. 
Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,339
    Options
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    He has so many helpful free videos online now, and I respect him for that.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    He has so many helpful free videos online now, and I respect him for that.

He is definitely not a hoarder of his acquired knowledge. Great guy for sharing all that with the masses. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    Between his first book and his tv show from a few years ago I'm curious as to how much more detail his Masterclass provides.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    I have viewed just about every free Franklin video that is available on line plus I have his book. It does not appear that I would learn anything new. You would also need to adjust the recipes for the Egg as things like wrapping and water pans are not really necessary on the Egg.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    Timing is everything as I received the email alert as well.  I agree with the above about his willingness to offer it all (obviously with some proprietary hold-back).  Or is he just taking a shot at those less focused who don't realize what he has already revealed and now riding on his fame.  No issues with that as you have to "strike while the iron is hot."  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I wouldn’t buy this class because of all the free stuff he has out there. BUT- I already have the annual membership to Masterclass so I was happy to see him added to the roster. I’ll let you guys know if there are any earth shattering tricks he has been hiding from us all this time.  

Im most curious if he will talk about his long holds in steam cambros he does at the restaurant. That is the one thing he does that he does not ever talk about. It’s the secret sauce. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Im most curious if he will talk about his long holds in steam cambros he does at the restaurant. That is the one thing he does that he does not ever talk about. It’s the secret sauce. 
    Makes one stop and ponder 🤔 for a moment doesn’t it brother Tex. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options

Holding BBQ in a commercial warmer is secret sauce? That’s how almost everyone does it. 

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    SonVolt said:

Holding BBQ in a commercial warmer is secret sauce? That’s how almost everyone does it. 

Good to know. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Isn't that the same as tossing it in a cooler for a few hours? 

Masterclass is advertising the class on FB. Says 16 episodes. Assuming an hour each? That would be 4 hours longer than it takes to cook the brisket  
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Cen-Tex, what is your opinion overall of the masterclass app? My wife and I have been debating the year subscription. My biggist concern is the time invested necessary to gain its worth. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    Isn't that the same as tossing it in a cooler for a few hours? 

Masterclass is advertising the class on FB. Says 16 episodes. Assuming an hour each? That would be 4 hours longer than it takes to cook the brisket  
    I'm not 100% sure, but I think the difference in his holding coolers is that they have steam in them to keep extra moisture on the brisket.  I'm curious about these things - may have to invest in one... :) 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options
    do you get all 16 episodes for the $90 or do you have to do the $180?

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Dude, I'm going to come back here making beats like Timbaland, shooting like Steph Curry, and making brisket like AyAyRon.... 

I crack up watching Franklin cook.  He seems like a funny dude.  And that BBQ looks incredible.  
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Got through the fire set up, pulled pork and ribs lessons so far. Not a ton of new news but there are always a few tidbits that I’ll try out. He’s fun to watch and it’s my favorite of all the classes I have taken so far. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SonVolt said:

He takes his briskets off at midnight for an 11 hour (minimum) hold (as they open at 11). He had them custom built with the humidity he likes. Whatever he does, it works. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,173
    Options
    I had not heard of this before. Interesting concept and of course interesting pricing structure. You can cook so it’s easy to see where AA Ron’s class wouldn’t add much to your knowledge base. What are your thoughts on the classes that you had no or little background? How would you rate your skillset after completing a class? 
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Never knew he held the briskets for that amount of time.  Curious as to the setup and effect as well.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Kent8621 said:
    do you get all 16 episodes for the $90 or do you have to do the $180?
    $180 is the whole catalog for a year. Unlimited use. 

If this class is $90 don’t even consider it. It’s good but I would buy it as a standalone. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Cen-Tex, what is your opinion overall of the masterclass app? My wife and I have been debating the year subscription. My biggist concern is the time invested necessary to gain its worth. 
    It’s a lean to the win column so far. This class probably made it even more so for me. I’ve taken 4 classes but I couldn’t finish either of the Gordon Ramsay classes. He’s so full of himself (and I’m not a hater) that i just couldn’t take anymore. 

The Thomas Keller class was very technical but packed with information. Not sure how much I’ll use but I’m definitely glad I took it.

My kids have taken a few and i and I have a few more that I will probably check out this year.

This is our 2nd year to have it. I would say it’s been worth it but not something I will keep doing forever. As long as we all get a little use out of it though, I’ll keep it around. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Ok- just got through the brisket part. It’s way more in depth than anything he has out there that I have seen. Especially in the “how it feels when it’s done” and the slice. I still wouldn’t pay $90 for it but I definitely picked up a few tricks. If you are a stick burner, it’s even better. Loads of tips and tricks in maintaining a clean fire. Way more than the book or YouTube videos. If I did big events on a stick burner like Grim or CTMIKE I would consider paying for it. For most civilians it’s probably a little overkill compared to the free info you can get from his YouTube vids. 

Im glad I watched it. I’ll definitely add some of this information into the classes we teach. 

They added some fluff to make the class a seem a little longer. There was a grilling section I could have totally done without. Like a precursor to his “steak” Masterclass to promote his new book. 

All-in-all, it’s the best one I’ve taken so far. It suits my style of cooking and I can poach some tips to pass along when I teach a class. 
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Nice summary @The Cen-Tex Smoker .  Thank you.
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Thank you for your review, looks like a great way to start my summer, once school is out in a couple of weeks.
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    Ok- just got through the brisket part. It’s way more in depth than anything he has out there that I have seen. Especially in the “how it feels when it’s done” and the slice. I still wouldn’t pay $90 for it but I definitely picked up a few tricks. If you are a stick burner, it’s even better. Loads of tips and tricks in maintaining a clean fire. Way more than the book or YouTube videos. If I did big events on a stick burner like Grim or CTMIKE I would consider paying for it. For most civilians it’s probably a little overkill compared to the free info you can get from his YouTube vids. 

Im glad I watched it. I’ll definitely add some of this information into the classes we teach. 

They added some fluff to make the class a seem a little longer. There was a grilling section I could have totally done without. Like a precursor to his “steak” Masterclass to promote his new book. 

All-in-all, it’s the best one I’ve taken so far. It suits my style of cooking and I can poach some tips to pass along when I teach a class. 
    The Franklin videos available on YouTube are not the same as the tv show. The YouTube vids are mostly shorter vids done for Austin PBS station KLRU years before the show.
    I have no idea how much overlap there is between his vids on YouTube and the ones on the PBS site but anyone wanting to see the actual tv show episodes can find them here: http://www.pbs.org/food/features/bbq-with-franklin-season-1-episode-1-brisket/

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    HeavyG said:

The Franklin videos available on YouTube are not the same as the tv show. The YouTube vids are mostly shorter vids done for Austin PBS station KLRU years before the show.
    I have no idea how much overlap there is between his vids on YouTube and the ones on the PBS site but anyone wanting to see the actual tv show episodes can find them here: http://www.pbs.org/food/features/bbq-with-franklin-season-1-episode-1-brisket/

Thank you!  Something else to watch after GOT ends tomorrow....
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    smbishop said:
    HeavyG said:

Thank you!  Something else to watch after GOT ends tomorrow....
    Heavy is right. There is a ton of free info on YouTube from him. I would say most people could get everything they would ever need from those. This is definitely more in depth than any of those and he does cover more of the really tweaky stuff that he does not address in those videos. This is a full step beyond what I have seen from him but is really geared toward people who cook a lot of bbq (or want to). This is way more about the little things than the big things. He covers 90% of what’s in this for free on YouTube. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    edited May 2020
    Options
    I picked up the Masterclass year subscription. I am lazy and have not searched out all of Aaron's free stuff, let alone pieceing it all together to make sense of it.  From that view point, his classes are excellent.  Watching him actually cook helps me learn, so many small nuances to what he does...plus his dry sense of humour and little oddities really make the classes fun.

Gordon Ramsey's classes are interesting, but he skips over so much detail and doesn't explain why he does what he does.  I can follow his steps, but hard to apply to cooking in general.

The Gangster Gardner guy is fun too.  For better or worse my kids are used to swearing so the classes do not bother me, but for others they should know many classes are not PG.

I have only had it for 2 weeks, so will be interested to see what I think in a year, but for $180 I am pleased.  Convenience is worth it to me.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,961
    edited May 2020
    Options
    I picked up the Masterclass year subscription. I am lazy and have not searched out all of Aaron's free stuff, let alone pieceing it all together to make sense of it.  From that view point, his classes are excellent.  Watching him actually cook helps me learn, so many small nuances to what he does...plus his dry sense of humour and little oddities really make the classes fun.

Gordon Ramsey's classes are interesting, but he skips over so much detail and doesn't explain why he does what he does.  I can follow his steps, but hard to apply to cooking in general.

The Gangster Gardner guy is fun too.  For better or worse my kids are used to swearing so the classes do not bother me, but for others they should know many classes are not PG.

I have only had it for 2 weeks, so will be interested to see what I think in a year, but for $180 I am pleased.  Convenience is worth it to me.
    I thought it was worth it too. I had it for 2 years and used it quite a bit. Everyone else in the fam talked a big game but nobody really got into it like I did. I kind of miss having it sometimes. 

I was impressed by how much new content the kept adding in the time I had it. I think overall it’s a pretty cool little setup. 

The gangster gardener makes me want to sign up again
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    edited May 2020
    Options

I thought it was worth it too. I had it for 2 years and used it quite a bit. Everyone else in the fam talked a big game but nobody really got into it like I did. I kind of miss having it sometimes. 

I was impressed by how much new content the kept adding in the time I had it. I think overall it’s a pretty cool little setup. 

The gangster gardener makes me want to sign up again
    Oh wow, sorry for resurrecting an old thread.  My quarantine brain saw May 2019 and.thought that was this month...especially since 2020 has been a write-off.

I enjoy MC.  If you look at it over the year it is similar to Netflix in cost.  The production quality is top notch.  I expect to rewatch a new of the classes a number of times.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS