Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous Vide Chuck Roast

2»

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727

I still remember the time when some blogger from CA was trying to tell you how to light an egg. I wasn’t even there, but still crack up at the thought of it.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • EggObsessed
    EggObsessed Posts: 786

This year the Texas Fest is charging $60 per tasting ticket at the door. That definitely rubs me the wrong way unless ALL the profit would go to the food bank, which it doesn't, sadly. They hired what I guess you'd call a "media company" or "event planning company" to put on the fest, and also hired three bands to play. I liked it when it was focused on the BGE. I never have liked the competition BBQ team feel. Oh well, things come and go. Maybe it will "come back around".

Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831

My view on fests in general... they are a scam invented by Ed Fisher (or one of his minions).

Get a bunch people to pay an entry fee to spend all day cooking food - that they paid for - to give away to complete strangers so said strangers (who usually paid an even higher entry fee) would be convinced to buy an egg. Putting money in Ed's pocket. Nice move!

This should be entirely at the expense of the sponsoring dealer and BGE corporate. If the cooks want to volunteer to cook because they enjoy it, that's fine. But they shouldn't have to PAY for admission OR food! Not a dime.

In return for their hard work and hard earned $$$, the cooks get a swag bag which I'm guessing is worth far less than the food they bought. If that's what floats your boat, for whatever reason, that's your choice. But you're selling yourselves short, IMO.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727

@CarolinaQ there's merit to what you point out, but it's not all that gloomy.

Many folks spend $$ to host family/friends at home. Some times it's kinda like that. The fests I have cooked at have had that feel in many ways. #1 being Salado. Swag bags are a nice touch, and not always worth far less than what cooks have spent. Salado, Athens, Jefferson, Space City come to mind. Sadly, a number of these very fun fests in TX have gone the way of the dodo.

And hanging out with many of the fine folks here is (usually) incomparable 😁

But we're off on a tangent now...

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164

On the beef front, been in a flat iron rut lately. Gonna do this soon. Thanks for posting.

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Lots of "funny" team names and matching Dickies shirts with name patches at that one.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,869

Salado was free for attendees though, wasn’t it? To me the best of these feats are the ones that aren’t charging or are giving *all* of the proceeds to charity.

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110

I know there are members here with far more Eggfest experience than me. But for me, I don't like to cook at free, open to the public Fests. I want the tasters to pay a small fee. This weeds out the complete freeloaders but still makes it attractive to potential Eggheads that truly want to be there to learn and sample food. And yes, I would like to see the money made from our hard work and money WE paid for food go to a good cause/charity. Why should the Dealer or Promotion Company profit from me.

The Salado Eggfest went from a beautiful little Egfest into a City of Salado advertised event and it ruined the event, IMO. The last year of the event was a shambles even at the "private" after party. It was overrun by people not staying at the Inn on the Creek and non-cooks. The private residence that we were graciously granted access and the exterior grounds were left a disgraceful mess. Several of the regular Egghead group stayed to clean up and filled countless garbage bags at the end of the night. This is what free turned into. It sounds great on paper. As a cook, spending my time and money, to feed people who could care less about BGE or outdoor cooking, that's crap and I see no point in supporting events like this.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708

I have to vouch for this, picked up a nice Chuck @ Costco , seasoned with just SPG and in the bath for 24 ( turned out to be 27 was late getting back ) @ 135 then onto a CI Screaming hot and seared both sides---made a roux and added the bagged juices for a sauce------Was exceptional in texture and beefy flavor and will be doing this Very Easy Very Tasty Dish

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian