Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What to put and not to put in your outdoor kitchen?

Options
Hub
Hub Posts: 927

I'm finally ready to build my dream house on our lakefront property, and I want to build an awesome outdoor kitchen/living area. After much research here and elsewhere, I'm still unsure on a few things. Can you guys with these experiences please help me out with some suggestions?

I'm definitely doing a built in Kamado style grill, built in griddle, pizza oven, sink, fridge, kegerator, fireplace, built in storage and vent hood. The kitchen will be covered but open. I've got a pretty large budget and want to do this right, but I don't want to throw money away.

Should I also do a gas grill? If so, do I need separate vent hoods for the gas grill and the kamado? Should I put the two grills close together and try and cover them with one large vent hood? Should I build in the pizza oven, or go with a counter top version? Is there something else you would add or subtract from your ideal outdoor kitchen/living area?

By the way, here is the view from the outdoor kitchen:

Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia

Comments

• Gym
    Gym Posts: 366
    Options

You gotta budget?

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options

Wherever you land I would not put SWMBO in your kitchen. 😎

BTW- Nice view right there. See above.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options

Not really. Money isn't the issue. I can afford whatever needs to be there. Instead, it's kind of a "less is more" dilemma for me. On one hand, put as much as you can into it. On the other hand, unnecessary parts of the kitchen could detract from the better parts.

Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options

Just leave an opening for the Egg vs dropping in a hole.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options

I like having a gasser. Great warming oven or if you have the budget, one with an infrared sear station is awesome. Steaks from the sous vide, sear on the gasser - give the kamado the day off. I like my gasser close to the kamados, great fire proof storage for grids, setters etc...

The gas powered side burner is ideal to simmer “stuff” and to reduce marinade to use as a dipping sauce.

Good luck, almost a shame to clutter that million dollar view with “infrastructure’, you gotta do what you gotta do. Enjoy!

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Options

Were I to build an outdoor kitchen I would make sure to have plenty of electrical outlets.

And a microwave. I'd want at least a smaller microwave (builtin not countertop) if only to warm up a cup of coffee now and again.

And a water heater of some kind. I hate having to wait a minute or two for hot water and the low flow faucets these days make that an agonizing wait. So definitely a small tank or even tankless heater inline with your normal hot water service so you can get at least some hot water pretty quickly. Or maybe just one of those hot water recirculating pump setups you turn on for a few seconds that forces hot water from your main water heater to your faucet.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,610
    Options

And a built in camera that would automatically take pictures of all of my righteous cooks.

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Options

Haha ha ha ha.

But that would be helpful as that's the only way it'll ever happen. 😎

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

Ping @Thatgrimguy . I don't know what he has planned for his new digs, but the outdoor play area he built for his old place makes me swoon whenever I see pics of it.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options

A damn nice music system...🎸🎼🥁🎷🎹

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options

Natural gas line.

Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,420
    Options

My outdoor area was “unbudgeted” too, ended up with a 22x39 area that we used frequently. My architect had the egg drawn in. I opted to leave it in a nest so that it’s moveable depending on wind and weather. My gasser went on an exterior/perimeter wall, no hood vent needed. We love our fireplace. Good recessed lights on dimmers, good ceiling fans and twice the amount of electrical is my suggestion!