Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime vs. Choice Brisket?

mahenryak
mahenryak Posts: 1,324
edited April 2019 in EggHead Forum

I probably cook between four to six briskets a year, which is hardly enough of a sample size to draw conclusions. I've noticed that most of the Costco briskets in my area these days are Prime grade. The price isn't really a consideration, as the one I'm cooking today was $3.49/lb, which, I do believe, is about the same as if it were choice, up here. It seems like the price for briskets has more to do with general trends versus grade. I'm wondering how much of a difference Prime versus Choice makes in a brisket? For me, my selection process is pretty simple these days. I look for the flex test. By this I mean I'll go through the briskets and look for one that when I grab it on end it bends nicely in the middle. I have had really good luck with this method--whether there is any merit to it or not. I can't remember the last time I've had a poor quality brisket.

So, my simple question is how much of an impact do you think the Prime grade has on a brisket?

LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

Comments

• flexfusion
    flexfusion Posts: 244

I would think a bunch but I've never cooked a prime. The next time I cook a brisket it will be a prime and I will buy it a Costco. I'll be sure to try your flex test it makes a lot of sense to me.

Auburn, Alabama
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 11,092

At the box stores IMO the lines between the 2 blend, I seen Primes that I would think we're lower grade and Visa Versa ....you,want a real Prime SRF Gold or the like....prep and cook are key, combine the 2 and you are good to go.,.Many a cooks have ruined a high grade cut of meat

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • mahenryak
    edited April 2019

Thank you. That's what I'm thinking. I've had the pleasure of cooking SRF's so I know what you mean. I cooked more of those when beef prices everywhere was pretty high two or three years ago. Today there is such a difference in price, and I have been very happy with the Costco briskets of late, that I'm really not in the market for SRF. There's always tomorrow, though. 😉

• mahenryak
    edited April 2019

The flex test was something I picked up on from someone else, of course, but unfortunately I can't recall from whom, or where--it may have been this site but I think it was a YouTube video I watched. In any event, it's funny, whenever I've been shopping there always seems to be one that stands out from the crowd. I think one time I can remember walking away because they were all stiff as boards. Again, I don't know if there is anything to this test but it has worked for me in my small sample size.

• Slippy
    Slippy Posts: 214

One thing about the flex test that I would look out for, is how tight the packaging is.... If there is a little more air in the seal, then it will flex more than one that has been vacuumed very tight... I tend to go by thickest flat, and by visually looking at the marbling. I think I would choose a Choice with a thick flat with a smallish point (so basically not too much variation from one end to the other), over a Prime with a thin flat chunky point... All things even, sure, go for the Prime just to be safe....

Rockwall, TX  •  LBGE, Big Hat Ranger offset smoker, Really old 22" Weber Kettle, Pile of Pecan and Post Oak... 
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615

probably the most important thing is whether the brisket is from the left or right side of the cow

always choose the left side

Boom
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,729

My experience echos above in that the higher the grade going in the more room you have (a wider finish-line window) to nail the cook. And thus the better outcome if all other factors were the same (which they obviously aren't by any stretch). Fortunately for the past few years the local Costco has only been carrying prime but about a year or so ago their processing and quality took a noticeable down-turn. Since rebounded. The flop test is a nice descriminator and works for me. I even have SWMBO trained-nothing like a call when she's on a Costco run and is messing around with briskets. FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • mahenryak

Thanks everyone. All good comments.