Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Soft cooler alternatives to the YETI or RTIC?

Options
KiterTodd
KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
edited April 2019 in EggHead Forum

I was given a couple RTIC soft coolers last year. We got the Softpack 20 and the Softpack 30. The 20 is great for day trips...bringing a dozen beers and an ice pack along to a trail, and the 30 is better for picnics and camping. True to form, that thick side insulation really does keep the cold in for an impressively long time.

Still, that 20 is a $125 cooler and the 30 is a $150 cooler. (On sale now, and almost always, for $80/$100)

So here's the rub, my Softpack 20 didn't last a year before the zipper binds aggressively at the corners. I should say, it lasted just over a year because RTIC won't warranty it. In a nice email I pitched myself as a loyal customer (I have a lot of their products) and pointed out that this cooler is in otherwise excellent shape, but is no longer useable because it's extremely difficult to close. I asked if they could offer me zipper advice, a discounted cooler, or even a one time replacement. Nope, nope, nope. "sorry, you're out of warranty. Go f*** yourself."

(there is no way to avoid this without pressing hard in front of the zipper to keep it flat. I have not been able to convey this to the rest of the family and I'm only successful 50% of the time. It's a pain. And impossible with one hand like if you have to access the cooler while driving.)

I was surprised it broke so soon... so I figure I would check the YETI warranty for the Soft coolers and it is 3 years! But the cooler is also three times the price as the Hopper Flip 18 is $300.

Have you guys found any other softpack coolers similar to the RTIC or YETI models? I did a quick search and the Igloo ones have thinner walls and the Ozark Trail ones don't have the same consistent wall thickness insulation. It's more of a stuffing look to it that gets thing at the top.

Appreciate any purchase tips. Maybe I'll try the Ozark one and see if I notice much of a difference.

LBGE/Maryland

Comments